How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-11-2012
don't look down

I would say that traditionally, Tolkien's not been regarded as being strong on female characters, although the films have mitigated that perception, because those roles have been expanded as a concession to modernity.

But if you consider the literature Tolkien was working with in his day job, when he drew on that to produce his own fiction, he retained the sense of epic storytelling, but his female characters became so dull and neutered against the figures who existed in the sagas and so on, that I would regard him as having taken a step backwards in his portrayal of women, in comparison to how they'd been written all those centuries ago, in what you could consider his source material.

What I find most distracting about Game of Thrones is that some of the extras are my neighbours and people I see on the bus, which can make it hard to suspend reality when I'm watching it.

23-11-2012
backstage pass

^^^I suppose I am romanticizing Tolkien's development of his female characters, I mean, they definitely were much more active and contributed a stronger impression in Jackson's adaptation. But still, Tolkien's Eowyne is still leagues much more of a modern woman than the types that were celebrated as the ideal women in the 1950s. Anyways, I much prefer The Silmarillion to the Rings, and there were some very epic female characters in those stories.

I love that your neighbours are extras on Game of Thrones! Will we be seeing tigerrouge as an extra in the brothel then?

25-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
What I find most distracting about Game of Thrones is that some of the extras are my neighbours and people I see on the bus, which can make it hard to suspend reality when I'm watching it.
Wow, that would be so strange to see someone you know on the show. It would pop you back into reality everytime it happened.

12-12-2012
trendsetter

I watched all seasons so far BUT i forgot what happened to theon greyjoy....I can't seem to remember for the life of me so can anyone recap what happened? Thank you

V.I.P.

^ so far in the TV series, he took Winterfell, then was knocked unconscious by his own men when he wanted to defend Winterfell from Northmen (presumably Bolton's men).

the tv series strays from the book.

12-12-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
^ so far in the TV series, he took Winterfell, then was knocked unconscious by his own men when he wanted to defend Winterfell from Northmen (presumably Bolton's men).

the tv series strays from the book.
Thank you sooo much for making me remember

V.I.P.

First Season 3 stills

winteriscoming.net

25-01-2013
V.I.P.

winteriscoming.net

25-01-2013
V.I.P.

Can't wait for season 3!... The actress who plays Sansa looks quite a bit older again, where as Arya doesn't age much.

25-01-2013
fashion elite

Wow, how come I haven't subscribed to this thread! I can't wait to see the upcoming season, there are a few scenes that I can't wait to see but it will probably be towards the end of this season and some next year

25-01-2013
fashion icon

Looking at these promo pictures is making me super excited for the return of GoT! I can't wait to see certain story-lines play out. Also, I can't help but admire the costume design that went into each outfit, the team that works behind the scenes is amazing. I love how each character's outfit has a distinct style often representing who they are (or are trying to be) and their cultural background. The clothing for the show really add's to the experience of watching Game of Thrones. I especially like the look for The Queen of Thorns, just what I imagined for her character!

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 25-01-2013 at 07:26 PM.
26-01-2013
tfs star

Okay. Officially can't wait. Can somebody spoil me on who Tom Sangster plays? How big of a role does he have? Super excited for this kid (so adorable in Love Actually and Tristan & Isolde) and I loved him as Paul McCartney in Nowhere Boy.

26-01-2013
V.I.P.

^he plays Jojen Reed. it's a bit hard to say how big his role is going to be as him and his sister Meera (the girl in the next picture) should have already been a big part of the second season. Basically they travel with Bran and Jojen has the gift of greensight (prophetic dreams) and teaches Bran how to use his ability of changing into a wolf in his dreams. i loved them both in the books so i was sad that they weren't part of the second season, hope they don't mess up their storyline.

23-02-2013
V.I.P.

23-02-2013
tfs star

I can't...I just...wow. I'm...that was amazing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
game, thrones