How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-04-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
Yes, Ser Barristen Selmy indeed revealed himself to her much quicker than in the book. I guess Belwas has been cut out of the tv series. Dany's story will have to be rushed, I guess. I can't imagine them doing 3 slave cities on a TV budget, even if it's HBO.
I hope they rush it...nothing happened in her story last season !!

04-04-2013
backstage pass

^^^ But last season her story was forgettable. This season she's going home with a feared, grand army to seize what's rightfully hers and lay waste to any who stand in her way (I hope so anyway...). If they rush the buildup, it'll look insignificant and her return to the West will seem uneventful.

Littleathquakes: Have you seen Reign of Fire? Dragons galore-- and very hot men slaying them. What more could you ask for in a film?

04-04-2013
V.I.P.

I haven´t read the books but if they´re making Dany get her army in one city instead of three I don´t think it´s due to budget but to make the story flow and to accommodate everyone´s storylines in 10 episodes.
Is this city the most interesting?

04-04-2013
V.I.P.

All of them are interesting *spoilers in white* but:

the 3rd city is when Drogon flies her away during the opening of the gladiator-like pits

05-04-2013
backstage pass

I strongly suspect budget is a reason certain events are not shown. People underestimate the rate of good CGI, which is insanely expensive, and this show has very impressive CGI. I don't mean to harp on the horrible opener that skipped the Walkers, but they obviously didn't have the budget there (all spent on the dragons?), so instead, we only heard swords clashing with a blackened screen to suggest there was a skirmish. Horrible choice to open a season-- and it came off as a cheap cop-out, not a creative choice.

I don't think they need to go about Dany's 3 armies in the same way it's written in the book(s). They've certainly taken creative liberties throughout the seasons, so why not here? They could have the concept of 3 armies at her service by creative means that would not prolong, nor drag her story down, nor devote too much time to it. Dany's already becoming a threat, a force to be reckoned with in the West through word, to the point that some feel she needs to be assassinated: So a simple story of certain armies willing to come to her aid because of her legendary dragons would work for me. I feel as if they're diminishing her status by having her just "buy" an army.

05-04-2013
V.I.P.

love this commercial!

05-04-2013
tfs star

Phuel I agree with all the stuff you are saying!
It probably is budget. But one minute 1000s of walkers are converging on Sam, and that evil thing on the horse looks at him, and the next minute (in season 3), they have all disappeared miraculously and he is just fighting off the one. Maybe there was an explanation that I missed. I was so looking forward to how Sam was going to escape, or something significant was going to happen.

08-04-2013
backstage pass

^^^ Actually, the guys on the (zombie) steeds are the (White) Walkers. The zombies are the Wights (tribute to Tolkien's Barrow-Wights?).

The designs for the Walkers are amazing I think. They're a huge improvement from the one we first saw in the opener of season 1. There, they looked like a brawny Yeti-type design, but their final design makes them otherworldly, deadly but still somewhat regal and beautiful.

While on the subject of the disappointing season opener, another thing that doesn't make sense to me is why was Sam blamed for not releasing the ravens? How could he be expected to in charge of that and sent to collect dung...? Sam can't be at two places at once. I guess he wasn't supposed to be out collecting dung? Was he just shamed because they somehow knew he was hiding during the Walker invasion? And they're still going on about it this episode. I like Sam and feel for him and hopes he comes into his own this season.

Not much happens this 2nd episode-- just a lot of walking... But the Jaime and Brienne parts are really enjoyable, they're such an odd couple and their dynamic is so entertaining. So far, this season seems lulling and... lacking. I don't remember the others being so uneventful. I wonder if all the nudity, violence is being toned down to appeal to a more general audience? I hope not.

I don't think I would enjoy this show as much if the design elements were not so quite strong as it has been. The armory is awesome, but the costume for the women looks more on the cheap and pedestrian side to me when the designs are of the more revealing side-- both in designs and materials; I particularly hate all those toga-style dresses. I take it the costume department that takes care of the menswear is separate from the one(s) that design the womenswear...? Dany's Xena-style costumes from last season, and the entire Qarth episodes looked particularly cheap and tacky, and too typically like made-for-tv level design. I hope to see her in some form of armor this season. SHe looks amazing in the blue cloak-- and I imagine leather armor worn under there... Love this girl.

08-04-2013
V.I.P.

They condensed so much of what happened with the Walkers. You're right about Sam not releasing the ravens, I don't recall Mormont telling him to do so in the series (in the book it's more elaborate). But I think they're just throwing that in there as a passage of time thing, and even if we weren't 'present' for it, it did occur.

08-04-2013
V.I.P.

I think Sam was supposed to release the ravens as a warning to castle black that White Walkers have been spotted on the move. Also the only reason Sam is with traveling brothers and not at the castle was to take care of the ravens and send messages so he dropped the ball on that bit of his duties. Sam does come into his own in the books so hopefully it will happen this season.

I agree with Phuel, I would hate for the show to be toned down for the masses. Brienne & Jamie are great together. Even though not a lot happen this episode, it did set up for the future episodes. Like The hound & aria, Jamie and Brienne and Margery and the Lannisters.

Margery is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters because she knows what to do and is willing to do what is necessary to get what she wants. She is a smart character that actually thinks and doesnt say what she thinks people want to hear. Like Sansa.

I hate that there was no Dany in this episode.

I really like that Jojen and Meera are finally in the series. The actor who plays Bran has grown so much!

08-04-2013
V.I.P.

The story that got my attention the most is Bran' s (the actor grew so much! also the little brother, he's not so little anymore). Without spoiling it so much, is his story interesting in the books?
Also, season 1 and book 1 were so similar that I couldnt finish reading it... for what we' ve seen so far, is the show stearing away from the second/third books?

Last edited by kokobombon; 08-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.
09-04-2013
V.I.P.

I find Bran's story incredibly boring in the books. Like I know it's fantasy but his story gets really weird and crazy. I have no idea where Martin is going with his character.

09-04-2013
backstage pass

Thanks guys for bringing some background to the Sam incident! I kind of got that he wasn't supposed to be hanging with his buddies but the way they chose to show that wasn't clear. And I don't know if it's such a good idea to have Sam be the sole reason that so many of the Watchers are dead; Isn't that an error punishable by death...?

And yeah-- I'm stunned how Isaac/Bran has really grown; his cheekbones are so prominent now. Arya too; I noticed her chest... I don't know if this was intentional, but Arya still moves with very feminine gestures-- the way she stooped to pick her sword up in such a dainty manner would give her right away as a girl if she were trying to pass as a boy. Her and her group are adorable.

The Jaime and Brienne odd coupling really shouldn't work-- but it does work, and amazingly so. Jaime has always been charming to the end despite his psychotic side. Brienne is just such an odd looking woman, but she's completely endearing and charming in her lack of self-awareness-- she's just genuine. Her innocence, naivety and lethal combination makes for such a likable and fascinating character. I'm dreading when these two will be separated.

Margery seems to be another character that's written too be too clever and witty so would appeal to a modern audience's sensibilities-- like Tyrion. I much prefer characters like Dany and Jon for their insecurities and tribulations despite their great potentials. That and they're just beautiful to look at.

Another character I really like is Joffrey-- without him, the show really wouldn't be so much fun. Jack does an awesome but thankless job as the sadistic brat who's really a coward out of control with a heart black as pitch that even his own mother is afraid of.

I hope they're not slacking and thinking they can get away with sloppy writing and bad direction now just because the show is so huge. I also sense they're squeezing in Tyrion just because he's the most popular and he's also their award-winning bait. Was it necessary for his scene here at all?

09-04-2013
tfs star

I'm so glad to see Jack getting a lot of appreciation lately, here and imdb. He's a great actor and he does an incredible job. But there's a new sadistic kid on the block, and he's going to make Joffrey look like a pussy cat.

09-04-2013
V.I.P.

So anyone that has read the books. Is the Theon torture scene in a different book?

You guys are right, Jack does a great job portraying Joffrey.
I like Bran's storyline because of the warg. I like to see a bit of fantasy and magic. Also its seen a bit in Jon as well. All character's have something that is so likeable about them. That's something I like about the show.

Yea I can't even remember Tyrion's scene in epsidoe 2 so it probably was not necessary.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
game, thrones