How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-05-2013
V.I.P.

Ros - previous tortured by Joff, tortured by Cersei when she thought Ros was Shae, and now Joff again. My stomach turned when that came up.

Good lord I think I'm going to be sick when the Queen of Thorns scenes stop. She's really fun to watch and even though she lost that fight with Tywin, she was still fantastic.

That scene on top of the wall was soooooo good!

07-05-2013
backstage pass

I can't stand Littlefinger, such an annoying character.

No Dany in this episode, but that's just fine, we had quite good moments with her in the last episodes.

Yeah, I agree about the climbing scene. Well done.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelscatchfire View Post
^ Poor Ros!! Yea I don't know about that, it is hard to top Joffery's actions. That came out of an interview I read with the writers/author, I can't remember. I don't even know what is happening to Theon or his captors.
Oh OK-- I thought the "other" sociopath was confirmed. GUess Joffrey is still the bestest psychopath in all 7 Kingdoms! The fact that he did his snuff not in the dungeon, or some remote tower, but right there in his bedchamber, is all kinds of disturbing.

Just pure speculation, but when Melisandre prophesied that Arya would take out forever the green, blue and brown eyes (of her enemies?): Joffrey and Cersei has blue eyes... but who has brown and green eyes? Or is she just generalizing to mean Arya will kill many...?

Except for the Theon part (Which is becoming tiresome unless it actually leads somewhere-- with "Boy" revealed to be someone of importance?), each storyline in this episode led to the next one-- and they covered quite a few. Every word, every action moved the stories along so seamlessly; Starting with that charming scene with Sam and the hick, and concluding with Littlefinger's cautionary and chilling declaration of his ascension to the throne. Just amazing. He is very good at this game, but it will be satisfying to see him finally go down-- hopefully courtesy of Dany.

On a purely light note, those Freys are such ugly people they may as well be a family of carnival folks. They look like the little goblins in Disney's Sleeping Beauty.

08-05-2013
windowshopping

What's the deal with Theon ? Until now his scenes don't seem to have any other purpose except churning my stomach.

And also, what was with Littlefinger's speech that they agreed to tell eachother the lie about the iron throne ??? i guess that's what i get for not reading the books...

Amazing episode all in all, though I missed Dany

08-05-2013
backstage pass

^^^ Littlefinger's respond to Valyrs when Valyrs declared that everything he does, he does for the realm, the Iron Throne, etc. was more a spit in the face of idol-worship and tradition: These things are only illusions to Littlefinger. He wants to dominate and rule for himself, not for the gods, the realm, for the myth of the Iron Throne. Littlefinger is very much a realist.

08-05-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Except for the Theon part (Which is becoming tiresome unless it actually leads somewhere-- with "Boy" revealed to be someone of importance?), each storyline in this episode led to the next one-- and they covered quite a few.
I don't know if you want to be spoiled or not, but I'll just say that Boy is revealed to be somewhat of importance. He becomes a pretty significant character. And the torture scenes define Theon's progression as a character. Besides that, Iwan Rheon is an amazing actor and dare I say engaging on Heath Ledger a la the Joker level proportions. At least to me.

Also, not trying to be a prick or anything Phuel, but the character's name is Varys. And while I loved the scene between him and Littlefinger (their interactions are always gold), but I don't consider Littlefinger a realist. Look at how he came into Cat's tent after all but handing her husband over to be executed, and then expecting her to run off with him? That's hardly a person who is in tune with the world. I think he's self-serving and narcissistic, and so gods and the realm don't really fit in with his world view because that means doing something for somebody else, possibly at the risk of (gasp) receiving nothing in return. But that's just my perspective of him.

Last edited by chickadee; 08-05-2013 at 06:52 PM.

08-05-2013
V.I.P.

^ I do think Littlefinger is narcissistic, he only wants what's going to allow him to dominate. His character will do anything to get to the top and we see that in his backstory. We know that he came from nothing to being a prominent council member and even creating his own sigil. Oh and he has some fascination with Cat that had extended to Sansa.. I can't wait to see what happens with that in the books.

I'm pretty sure Brienne fights the bear in the next episode!

10-05-2013
backstage pass

LOL, thanks for the correction chickadee: So many names, and I only watch the episodes once and don't read the books, so Valyrian(?), Varys, The Vales(?)... all begin to bleed into one another for me.

I'm convinced Littlefinger and Varys are the only realists in this game: They're practical, scheming, don't let their egos get in their way, thorough, know their place, biding their time and carefully methodical. More importantly, they both know they can't rely on anyone to get where they want to be. Littlefinger is grounded in reality that he is very self-serving-- and not pretending to do it for any greater cause. His relationship with Varys seems to be the most honest of all his relationships, maybe only relationship, actually. They are a weirdly ideal match for one another in away.

10-05-2013
V.I.P.

Oh there are more realists in the game. Not sure if you'll see them this season or the next, but we're getting close to seeing some realness alright.

10-05-2013
tfs star

I know what you mean, Phuel. There's also a lot of people to keep up with and it's easy to get confused. I agree with you totally about Varys, though. I do think he's very much a realist, as are most of the (successful) players in this game like Olenna and Tywin. I just cannot stand Littlefinger, and I can't see him as anything beyond a despicable prick. And I usually don't have a problem with morally gray characters (I love Jaime, Varys, and Tywin), but for some reason LF gets under my skin.

Last edited by chickadee; 10-05-2013 at 12:14 PM.

10-05-2013
backstage pass

I was planing to watch it in Autumn, but I finally did it. Just finished first season. It's sooooooooooooooooooo amazing. I always admire this kind of stories, the middle ages, wars between families. It is so fascinating. Tomorow is for season 2 !!!

10-05-2013
V.I.P.

^ have fun! season 2 is fantastic. I think season 3 is my favorite

13-05-2013
backstage pass

Egoiste: The very first scene of episode one from season 1 got me right away. I don't really remember much the specifics of that season, but I would say it's still the best and consistently strongest of all the seasons so far.

Season 3 is... a hit-and-miss for me. Episode 6 was strongest, and this latest one is dreadful. Just flat. Dany's scene looked impressive enough; her surrounded by her loyal entourage, soldiers and dragons. And I'm glad they're showing her gathering her slave-army from more than just one city, but the scene itself lacked energy and intensity-- kinda like a deflated version of her meeting and conquest of the first slave city (sorry, can't remember the name). The other scenes were equally boring. The blandest and most disappointing scene was the last one "The Bear and the Maiden Fair". Mechanical and rushed. With only 2 more episodes left, I sense events will be rushed.

And Ygritte needs a smackdown courtesy of Arya... If she says "You know of nothing, Jon Snow" once more... Rich coming from someone who's never even been eaten out before...

14-05-2013
V.I.P.

Totally agree about the Bear and Maiden Fair. I thought that could've dragged out a bit longer, and I would've loved every additional second of it. And the anthropomorphic swatting on the ground before charging

Getting really tired of the Theon torture scenes. It's like OK we get it, he's being tortured. Reveal the character already!!!

I was really hoping Joffrey pull an epic stupid move with Tywin in the throne room. But that fell flat too. Although next week's preview does show him pulling a knife on Tywin, so I suspect the smackdown is coming at least.

14-05-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
Totally agree about the Bear and Maiden Fair. I thought that could've dragged out a bit longer, and I would've loved every additional second of it. And the anthropomorphic swatting on the ground before charging

Getting really tired of the Theon torture scenes. It's like OK we get it, he's being tortured. Reveal the character already!!!

I was really hoping Joffrey pull an epic stupid move with Tywin in the throne room. But that fell flat too. Although next week's preview does show him pulling a knife on Tywin, so I suspect the smackdown is coming at least.
yessss I just can't stand Theon torture scenes anymore! I feel they are just incredibly long for their purposes and that such time could be used with other scenes…

I'm also getting a bit tired of how long the "sexy" scenes are! And some of them are just pure fan-service – cause they can show lots of buttocks – but I really just feel like a third wheel watching those

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
game, thrones