Good Fashion Documentaries - Page 11 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
3 Weeks Ago
tfs star

Trailer for Dries Van Noten's documentary trailer.

https://youtu.be/Q7Sqe2DKAFo

I still can not properly add youtube videos here

Last edited by VogueDisciple93; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:02 PM.
3 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

^ it's [yt] [/yt] and insert that Q-something code in the middle.

I had no intentions to watch that Vogue UK documentary but put it on one afternoon I don't even remember why and, where can I nominate it as the worst fashion documentary of all time?!.. the abuse of melodramatic music for each and every scene trying to manipulate the viewer into thinking fashion is, believe it or not, some life and death operation that conveys oh so many emotions and risk factors. Then you have the people featured and how naturally odious they are, the ridiculous testimonials straight out of Zoolander, and finally, the no content, just your standard vanity project that did not need a freakin' documentary..

That was the last "fashion" thing on film that I saw and I realise my patience is very short for this type of ambitious portrayals of all the business circling clothes.. it's like okay you love these flyers promoting up and coming yummy restaurants, but would you make a 4-hour documentary about the feelings of the guy handling the printer that makes the flyers? no!

Inaccurate example but yeah these things are exhausting. I saw that Dries trailer and it was all going well until you get to that (as mentioned above!) grating fashion voice/testimony "he loves fashion".. no, really? and let me guess, he's fabulous too?..

Last edited by MulletProof; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:27 PM.
2 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

^^^ That kind of attitude that the masses associate with fashion— whether genuine, or fabricated in that horrible Vogue UK doc, does trickle down to the impressionable, the wannabes, and to the lessors far far far down on the fashion parthenon.

I’m a nobody working in this industry, and the stories I can tell you— as I’m sure you an relate to, how insipidly, shamelessly, and completely lacking in self-awareness, in irony so many of these people parrot the caricatures they surely have been impressed by, by watching these sort of doc, or even worse, ANTM where the worst stereotypes of the industry have become role-models…. There are editors I’ve met that are Schulman mini-mes, there re diva photographers straight out of some cartoon episodes of ANTM, there are stylists that are the living embodiments of some Sacha Baron Cohen sendup… And in the greater scheme of the fashion industry— these are all nobodies: But given that they’ve secured a role, as insignificant as it is, they feel they have the right to cop the attitude that someone like Schulman has. It’s all hilarious, tragic and I can’t take it all so seriously, even if I’m relying on their approval for jobs.

I do wish Tim Blanks— or just someone like him, who clearly adores high fashion and all its twisted components, but still very much an nonintrusive observer with something passionate to contribute, were somehow involved in docs that didn’t come from a place like that Vogue UK doc did. But I get that the general public would likely be bored with down-to-earth, thoughtful, and nice individuals in this industry… They just want to see the freakshow and catfights.

2 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

New short "AZZEDINE ALAIA" documentary by Joe McKenna.

https://www.joesfilm.com/

5 Days Ago
fashion elite

I just finished "Casablancas: The Man Who Loved Women" on Netflix -- which I didn't know anything about before watching -- and found it to be comical in an unintentional way.

The documentary seems to be set-up as a direct copy of Robert Evans' "The Kid Stays in the Picture" -- titular voice-over, animated renderings, etc. But what was the most disappointing was how superficial it was and almost condoning any thinly-veiled reference to the more controversial or unsavoury parts of his work/life. Not surprising as it was narrated by John, after all. It's hard to describe save to say that it felt like there was no self-awareness at all.

Has anyone seen this?

5 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
New short "AZZEDINE ALAIA" documentary by Joe McKenna.

https://www.joesfilm.com/
loved it! so great.

4 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMe View Post
I just finished "Casablancas: The Man Who Loved Women" on Netflix -- which I didn't know anything about before watching -- and found it to be comical in an unintentional way.

The documentary seems to be set-up as a direct copy of Robert Evans' "The Kid Stays in the Picture" -- titular voice-over, animated renderings, etc. But what was the most disappointing was how superficial it was and almost condoning any thinly-veiled reference to the more controversial or unsavoury parts of his work/life. Not surprising as it was narrated by John, after all. It's hard to describe save to say that it felt like there was no self-awareness at all.

Has anyone seen this?
this is a must see. was that his own voice-over? i couldn't tell because he was in really rough shape when the documentary was in production.

my favorite part was the rivalry with gerald marie. hard to determine if the BBC expose that showed gerald engaging in unlawful activity was coerced or not.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
documentaries, fashion, good