How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

02-06-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
BUT!! Having way too much time on my hands (and OCD), I checked for Season Three in 2009, and they started filming on June 29th!! So I stand by my original 'count the days' philosophy...!
Ok ok only a month to go then :p

The premiere better be good. Last seasons was so AWESOME I don't know how they will top it.

02-06-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by farou7a View Post
after reading the last 7-8 posts im tempted to buy and read the books.

are they too sweet valley high or are they actually worth being called, labels for dummies? :p
I can't speak for others but personally, I liked the books much more than TV show. In the books the characters are somewhat better developed and they all are so... mean But in a delicious way! There's not half as much hysterical drama as we've seen on the show, the characters seem to be slightly more stable & therefore, mature. Plus the storylines are muuuuuuuuch better, it kind of makes me sad how TV show sometimes takes one element from book and completely adapts it to screen, losing its charm. (Take Aaron for example, he was supposed to be Blair's step-brother, a hard hippie who has become a full-time character, if I remember).
And actually, it's quite hard to describe how dominant fashion is in the books but lately it's fair to say that what they're wearing in the books is much much more entertaining that what we've seen on screen past seasons.

And another thing about the books is that the characters are somewhat braver. For example, no one would go skinny dipping on TV show or Nate has only smoked like what, one spliff in the Pilot episode? The books are much dirtier. But once again, in a delicious way.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Aqua Tofana; 02-06-2011 at 07:45 AM.

02-06-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:

are they too sweet valley high or are they actually worth being called, labels for dummies? :p
I really enjoyed the books execpt the last one cause they tried to make it more like the show (Book Blair with Book Chuck - does not make sense).

Book Vanessa is such a good character. I can't believe how bad they f*cked her up on the show. If they had stayed faithful to the book she wouldn't be leaving the series now.

02-06-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Tofana View Post
they all are so... mean But in a delicious way!
Perfect description. ''In A delicious way''. Spot on.

02-06-2011
V.I.P.

I have just started reading the books for the first time () and they are quite good! The characters are well developed, and having gone to Prep School in Manhattan, I can see she was really there; Cecily describes things very accurately, whereas the show seems to have put the kids into Upper East Side Adult Society instead of what private school kids really experience...

02-06-2011
scenester

Ever since I read this review of the books about a year ago I've sort of been tempted to read them: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...tlarge_malcolm

I just can't bring myself to do it, though.

02-06-2011
scenester

Quote:

I think the books are a fun read, especially the ones written by Cecily Von Ziegesar, which are the first 8. Vanessa is a much better character, a sort of shaved head punk artist type.

02-06-2011
trendsetter

I've heard that about Vanessa too. In fact, I remember somebody commented about it in one of the previous threads. It's too bad Vanessa didn't translate because I do think Jessica could pull off book! Vanessa.

I've read mixed reviews about the book series writings on amazon and elsewhere, so I've never been tempted to pick them up. Plus, reading that Cecily...sold out and stuck book! Blair with book! Chuck makes me appreciate her less as a writer. Even J. K. Rowling stuck to her vision and didn't alter characters due to their counterparts popularity in the movies. (She's even addressed it in interviews--specifically where Draco and Snape are concerned.)

03-06-2011
V.I.P.

^ Well we can't blame it all on her since she actually hasn't written the last few books. The series is now like Sweet Valley High formular.

03-06-2011
V.I.P.

Are there going to be more books??

03-06-2011
V.I.P.

^ I think so. The last one was kind of left as a cliff-hanger (Blair and Serena picked each other over Nate and run off to Europe).

03-06-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunburyist View Post
Ever since I read this review of the books about a year ago I've sort of been tempted to read them: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...tlarge_malcolm

I just can't bring myself to do it, though.
This's the review that got me started in reading the series. You should try them. The Blair character is sass personified. Hilarity ensues when she deigns to room with Vanessa in Brooklyn (to experiment in alternativeness), or crashes Georgina's rehab.

03-06-2011
V.I.P.

Just saw this -

Being Chuck Bass has taught me how to treat women better. — Ed Westwick at the Penshoppe press conference, June 2, 2011

and this response on someones blog -

I hope he means this in a ‘playing a horrible human being has taught me that not being an abusive douchebag is the way to go in my relationships with women’ way and not a ‘chuck bass is a feminist’ way

Too true.

03-06-2011
trendsetter

I never got the impression that there were going to be more books, or that if they did continue, Blair, Serena et all would not be involved very much.

04-06-2011
V.I.P.

^ I thought so too but then another came out last year so I don't know anymore.

There is the two spin-offs series - ''The It Girl'' about Jenny and ''The Carlyles'' about these triplets who move into Blair's house.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, girl, gossip