How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-08-2011
fashion icon

Who could she play? I can't think of any other women she could be. Although, I do like Gemma, she was great in The Black Balloon. So who knows, this could be a big step for her acting wise.

30-08-2011
windowshopping

Check out what aussie model Stephanie Carta just tweeted:

Getting fitted into some prada for the great gatsby...

Exciting! Perhaps Martin and Miuccia are collaborating in some way?

Looks-wise I never had much of a mental image for Daisy. Far more important, in my opinion, is her voice. As I don't think there's anything particularly remarkable about Mulligan's I hope she works on it for the film.

fashion icon

^ Completely agree with you, Pavementfrippery about Daisy. I picture Daisy to sound like Cora (played by Elizabeth McGovern) from Downton Abbey, a breathy sort of voice, so hopefully Carey can master such an accent. Or at least an American accent without sounding terrible. And maybe Miuccia is suppose to be the new Ralph Lauren (he did the suits for Robert Redfords, The Great Gatsby)?

V.I.P.

All the casting choices are somewhat unexpected, so I kind of like that about it.
At least we know they all can act.

The only thing I'm worried about is this whole 3D thing.

30-08-2011
tfs star

Unexpected? I think it's quite uninspired... Leo could be expected and Carey as well. Carey and Knightley usually get the "young beautiful, yet not in your face" 1920 woman part...

30-08-2011
V.I.P.

^Knightley, yeah. But Carey? She hasn't played a character like Daisy yet, so it will be interesting to see her in that role.
Most of her characters tend to be quite reserved.

Leo...if compared to Robert Redford's Gatsby is an unexpected choice imo.

31-08-2011
V.I.P.

I love Carey, but I don't think that she fits Daisy at all. We'll see how she pulls it off, since I do like her a lot as an actress. Leo, as well, is a strange casting decision in my opinion. However, Tobey does fit the role of Nick Carraway in my mind.

What I'm mostly irked by is the fact that they're making it in 3D. Is it necessary? And Baz Luhrmann has his moments, but in the more recent years he's developed this approach to film-making that's more... art for art's sake.

Gatsby is one of my absolute favourite books, so fingers crossed that the films will do well, especially considering that the Farrow-Redford version was so lacklustre.

.my prison is your brain.

I remember seeing An Education and thinking Carey was a tremendous actress, but she seems to bring a sot of whiny timidness to every character she plays, I can't even watch her anymore.

15-09-2011
trendsetter

Amitabh Bachchan will be playing a small role as Meyer Wolfshiem, a gambler. Apparently he's waved his fee for playing the role.

16-09-2011
fashion icon

^Okay... now thats freaking awesome! Amitabh Bachchan is truly one of the greats in the acting world. Although wasn't Meyer Wolfshiem suppose to be Jewish not Indian? Anyways, not a big deal I suppose, diversity is always a good thing.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 16-09-2011 at 02:44 AM.
17-09-2011
fashion icon

I'm starting to feel wary of Carey Mulligan. She's an actress that seems like a revelation at first until you realize she plays every character the same. Was there any difference between her characters in An Education and Never Let Me Go? She doesn't transform for roles at all. Plus her American accent was dodgy in Wall Street. I'm really not game for being distracted by accent slip-ups in this film.

18-09-2011
front row

I think Carey is a tremendous actress, and I beg to differ with those saying she doesn't transform for her roles; for example her part opposite Ryan Gosling in 'Drive' was hardly the demure wallflower. I have every bit of confidence she will rock Daisy as she has yet to disappoint me in any other role.

20-09-2011
scenester

Regarding Carey's accent, aren't there other non-American actors cast in various roles in the movie? I've never seen these actors before (the ones playing Tom, Jordan, and whatever role they have for Gemma Ward), but I'd be curious how well they'd do with an American accent, in particular a Midwestern accent (for Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, and Nick) and a New York accent for others. Isla Fisher I'm convinced of since I didn't even know she wasn't American when I saw Confessions of a Shopaholic.

My main issues, as others have also pointed out, are the Leo/Tobey casting. Frankly, I think that Leo's too old to play Gatsby who's supposed to be perhaps 32, no older.

Last edited by LADCchick; 20-09-2011 at 11:53 AM.
20-09-2011
fashion icon

^I wonder how much of The Great Gatsby they are changing. Like if they are making it a modern setting, or set in a different location other then East/West Egg? That might account for so many international actors. And to be honest, I'm still perplexed about why they are shooting in Australia.

trendsetter

It's staying period. The reason they're shooting in Australia is a combination of being financial, the fact that Baz will always prefer to shoot there (I think R&J in Mexico put him off lol) and I'll put money on the fact that it's aesthetic. There will be places up and down that coast in Australia that look more like West Egg then than the real Long Island area looks now. The weather is probably more consistent too.

I don't know why people are so hung up on the real nationality of these actors. They're actors, thats what they do, they pretend to be other people. They'll all have had/will be having voice coaching. Until we've seen footage it's not worth judging how good they'll be as Americans.

Last edited by littlepaperstars; 21-09-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, gatsby, great