How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-04-2013
backstage pass

I take back what I said about it sounding good, I hate it.

02-05-2013
fashion icon

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/30/180098...&cc=tumb_music
NPR is currently streaming the album if you want a better listen.

backstage pass

so far the film has been getting mostly negative critic reviews...but the audiance reviews are so far fantastic!

fashion elite

I saw The Great Gatsby yesterday!

Leonardo DiCaprio plays the same role you've seen him in countless times (Shutter Island, The Aviator, Catch Me If You Can) with that annoying accent, he didn't add anything new, someone else should have played Jay Gatsby.

Carey Mulligan made a great Daisy and I'm surprised I liked Toby here since I usually despise him.

The costumes were amazing, I loved seeing the Prada references all over and the Tiffany's jewelry was exquisite (I want a black pinky ring now). It was a bit long (2 hours and 20 minutes) considering the book itself ls like 200 pages but it's a great visual throughout.

Jay-Z did a GREAT job with the score and soundtrack, it really brought some scenes together with Baz's visuals.

12-05-2013
fashion icon

I ended up being dragged kicking and screaming to see Gatsby. I am someone who hates Baz Lurhman's films ( couldn't get through Moulin Rouge or Romeo & Juliet). I found the movie to be surprisingly good. Visually it's stunning.

Carey isn't bad in the film per se but she is the least interesting character in the film. The woman who played Jordan stole every scene she was in and I cannot believe Gatsby is her first major role. She looked like she belonged in the 20s and the part seemed effortless for her compared to everyone else who were clearly acting like stereotypes of people from the 20s.

12-05-2013
V.I.P.

it's a disaster!

the 3d does not pop. the framing device is borrowed from "moulin rouge!". how lazy.

there are also numerous differences from the book. blasphemous differences.

dicaprio and mulligan are OK. the costumes are OK.

tobey macguire played carroway as the wide eyed rube. this is not how he was portrayed in the book. he's basically playing the same character as he did in the cider house rules.

front row

Lana has the best song on the whole soundtrack. I didn't care for "Back to Black."

15-05-2013
backstage pass

I thought it was just lovely! It exceeded my expectations!

fashion elite

I predict there will be a lot use of the ost in the upcoming fashion shows! the whole album is dope, you can hardly push it away.

17-05-2013
fashion insider

I adored this film. Sure some moments are laughable (like Gatsby's entrance and I despised the framing device but it has so much heart. With the exception of Back to Black, the soundtrack was great and obviously it was visually stunning. I generally have loved all of Luhrmann's films so I quite enjoyed his signature shots and staging.

19-05-2013
tfs star

I saw it last week, but I'm still not sure what to make of it. The acting was so uneven, except by DiCaprio who was surprisingly good, while Carey (who I usually love) and Joel Edgerton (who I expected the most from) were plain awful. It is visually breathtaking though, and the music fits surprisingly well.

20-05-2013
backstage pass

^Carey was a weak point for me too..I love her, and shes obviously a talented actress, but it kinda just didn't work with her? IDK.

Dicaprio, Edgerton, and that Elizabeth Debeki were really good

fashion insider

Saw the movie during the weekend, I absolutely loved it!

23-05-2013
fashion icon

The actor & actress who played Tom Buchanan & Jordan Baker were really good. I enjoyed watching them more than Leo & Carey. :p

There's no denying it was visually gorgeous (especially the parties!) but there were so many cheesy scenes. The soundtrack was dope, and I appreciate the juxtaposition of the music with the times. But there were moments where I felt like I was watching an overly extended Jay-Z or Lana del Rey music vid. lol

front row

I'm going to the cinema to see it tomorrow. I haven't been to the cinema since Iron Man 3 (...taken by a friend - mea non culpa!), so I'm looking forward to the cinema atmosphere, if nothing else. Luhrmann always makes fun films, if not necessarily good films, so I expect to turn my brain off, kick back, and enjoy.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, gatsby, great