How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-06-2011
V.I.P.

New update from Peter Jackson's facebook.
Quote:
Yikes! I can finally get back to some postings! We've finished our first block of shooting and moved straight into location scouting. More on that soon... But today, I'm thrilled to announce two new cast members who will be joining us for our second block of shooting.

Evangeline Lilly will be playing a new character—the Woodland Elf, Tauriel. Her name means 'daughter of Mirkwood' and, beyond that, we must leave you guessing! (No, there is no romantic connection to Legolas.) What is not a secret is how talented and compelling an actress Evangeline is; we are thrilled and excited she will be the one to bring our first true Sylvan Elf to life.

I'm also highly excited that Barry Humphries will be portraying the Goblin King, in much the way Andy Serkis created Gollum. Barry is perhaps best known for his business and social connections as the long-time manager of Dame Edna Everage. He has also been an ardent supporter of the rather misunderstood and unfairly maligned Australian politician, Sir Les Patterson. However, in his spare time, Barry is also a fine actor, and we're looking forward to seeing him invest the Goblin King with the delicate sensitivity and emotional depth this character deserves.

Evangeline and Barry, along with Welsh actor Luke Evans as Bard and Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug, just about rounds out the major casting. I cannot wait to get stuck into these new scenes!

More soon, including a flurry of answers to your questions. Sorry for the delay!

Cheers,
Peter J
Super excited to see Evangeline in the Hobbit!!

23-06-2011
trendsetter

First pics from the film
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20504849,00.html

23-06-2011
V.I.P.

^I'm so excited!

24-06-2011
backstage pass

Gandalf... Bag End... *dies*

trendsetter

Empire August issue

Empire.com

27-06-2011
tfs star

look at that cheeky grin
I luv Gandalf

27-06-2011
backstage pass

I'm so glad Ian McKellen is playing Gandalf again! if it'd been another actor it would have ruined the movie for me!

27-06-2011
trendsetter

I think had it not been Peter Jackson doing the film, they may have had trouble bringing back the people they have. But they all have such an incredible relationship that I think the LOTR cast would all do anything for Peter. Andy Serkis for instance is not only on Gollum duty but he's second unit director too. I'm looking forward to the Empire coverage, hoping to see a little bit of the dwarves rather than that little blurry bit on the EW pics. I'm hoping they haven't uglied them too much, Richard Armitage & Aidan Turner are far too attractive to disguise completely!

29-06-2011
trendsetter

Pics via Empire Mag

05-07-2011
trendsetter

First exclusive look at the Dwarves in The Hobbit. They look like such a great bunch!

07-07-2011
trendsetter

I love the sense of humour in the video but here's a proper look at Ori, Dori & Nori, for real.

Facebook

08-07-2011
trendsetter

And Oin & Gloin!

yahoomovies

09-07-2011
trendsetter

Petes new production diary.

10-07-2011
backstage pass

Visually, this looks pretty promising so far, but I have to say I cringe at the thought of Evangeline Lilly as anyone in the film, most of all an Elf. North American actors, even with their best and sincerest efforts, tend to struggle with foreign accents, and while Evangeline has a beauty unique to her, I can't see her as an Elf, personally. Adding insult to injury, Tauriel isn't even a character from the book, all but confirming my fears and suspicions that the filmmakers are in fact intending to bring in a romance which has nothing to do with the book for "cinematic purposes". Call me a Tolkien puritan, but I can't tell you how that makes me gag.

10-07-2011
trendsetter

I'm not sure where they're going to introduce the romance with Evangeline's character though, they've said absolutely that it won't be with Legolas. Tbh I'm no Tolkein fan, I'm not fussed if it isn't 100% with the books, so long as the films are entertaining. I think it's a wonderful cast and I'm pleased that it's Pete doing it because I think one of the most important things is to tie the world in LOTR to the world of The Hobbit.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hobbit