How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-12-2012
windowshopping

I went to see it yesterday, and well...I didn't really like it. It's my own fault though. I walked in expecting LOTR reloaded (I loved loved loved LOTR). And this is not what the hobbit is. Even so, my main problem was that I never cared about the dwarfes or their mission. I simply couldn't connect with them.

Also, I found the part with Radagast completely ridiculous and most of the battle/chase scenes over-the top.

Martin Freeman is superb as Bilbo though. I wish he'd be given more "talking" time. He really does a great job !

17-12-2012
Feels Like Heaven

I watched it last night and I loved it. It is such a great movie,and the fact that for whole 170 minutes I haven't felt bored in one second, makes me want to watch it again and again.The movie quality is great,scenes of nature and battles are done perfectly and I love that it has comical elements. The music is perfect, I have been listening the soundtrack since last night.

19-12-2012
fashion icon

Just got back from the theater after seeing The Hobbit. Overall I was rather impressed with the film. It was beautifully shot (how could it not be? Especially with NZ as sitting in for Middle-Earth). And I think the film was well done because made me care for the plight of the Dwarves. To be honest, while I liked Gimli in LOTR, I never really understood/cared for the dwarves very much, they seemed to have gotten the short end of the stick in the series didn't they? But the whole cast did a fantastic job and it's a shame that the film is getting flack.

I don't think it's truly possible to compare The Hobbit to LOTR because while they take place in the same world they are very different stories. It's important to remember this while watching the film, or else it'll be seen as very disappointing. While I didn't see the film in 3D (I can't, they give me a headache) I don't think it's necessary to see it in that form. You can still appreciate the film without the added effects. Though, I will admit there were a few times where the effects were bordering on slightly overdone and I wonder if it would have been best in 3D. It really doesn't take away much from the storyline though.

Also, on a more shallow note, Aidan Turner who played Kili, makes a really good looking dwarf. I understand that this shouldn't be the main-takeaway from the film but I must admit that he was so attractive (though he is also the most conventionally attractive of the dwarves so that probably is coming into play too).

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 19-12-2012 at 01:41 AM.
19-12-2012
backstage pass

I liked the film! it's been a long time since I read the book and couldn't remember lots of details, but I think they did a good job in adapting the book, even though they probably could have made a 2 1/2 h long movie out of it...

anyway, I didn't care much for this new technology... I've seen a couple of 3D movies but it took me half an hour to get used to this new "look". the colours often looked really unnatural (especially green landscapes just looked too fluorescent lol) and it all looked just a bit too "sharp" for lack of a better word... I thought the scenes in Bilbo's house looked alright and those in other darker settings, but the scenes in broad daylight just looked off... and so did all the scenes involving faster movement! lots of the fights just looked like 3D in computer games to me

I'm definitely gonna get the dvd and am looking forward to seeing the "regular" version of the film. if the future of movie going will solely rely on this new technology I'm not looking forward to it

19-12-2012
V.I.P.

I also liked it though I think the pacing was a bit slow, that´s the bad thing about adapting one book (and a half, shall we say?) into three movies. But it´s a beautiful movie and the score brought sweet memories
I agree Aidan Turner makes a fine dwarf, though I was already smitten with him from Being Human. I also liked Martin Freeman but at times all I could think was "that´s Watson!" LOL
The 48fps looked like watching an HD 1080 movie on the cinema so while it was ok it´s not that much different than watching a blu ray movie.

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

Great movie, but I really wish it hadn't been split into 3 parts. Not too much happened in the entire 2 hours and 46 minutes. I think there was a lot that could have been saved for the extended DVD and they could've just kept it as two parts.

I will say that there werent any boring moments though. My favorite part was Gollum and Bilbo's entire interaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

20-12-2012
fashion icon

^I agree with you about it being split into three parts. The story could have been split into two films and it would have been fine. But I find it interesting how even though not a lot happened the film wasn't boring. It might have been because I was so happy to be back in that world that I didn't find it slow or dull. I loved the bit with Gollum, he's such a fascinating character, my sister and I think Andy Serkis ought to finally get his due with an Oscar nom of some sort (He really should have gotten for LOTR). He's such a phenomenal actor and it really shows, even in the relatively short amount of screen time Gollum had with Bilbo.

tfs star

Loved it! and I didn't wanted it to end!

03-01-2013
V.I.P.

^ me too, I really enjoyed the film. I especially loved the Dwarfs!
I'm very excited that the second installment, the Desolation of Smaug comes out this year!

All I could think of Martin Freeman was his character in Love Actually

03-01-2013
backstage pass

I watched The Fellowship Of The Rings after not having seen it for some time. And besides remaining my favourite of the LOTR trilogy, I am completely shocked at how full of energy and life "old" Bilbo/Ian Holmes is in FOTR, compared to the "old" Bilbo/Ian Holmes in The Hobbit. I think it would have been so much better had Ian Holmes not been cast for this new trilogy-- just a voiceover would have been enough; it's so jarring how near-death old Bilbo appears in the new film-- and he sounds completely drained and lifeless. Familiarity is fine, but Ian Holmes is not looking good-- or alive in this new film.

11-06-2013
backstage pass

Teaser for The Desolation of Smaug. Elves fighting and Luke Evans!

Full browser version: http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html

Last edited by Phuel; 11-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.
11-06-2013
V.I.P.

I am soo exited I can NOT wait!!

V.I.P.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug poster
Release date: December 13!!

facebook / peterjackson

05-11-2013
V.I.P.

Character posters

facebook/peterjackson
Peter Jackson's Facebook also has a collection of video diaries from the set of the film. Here is the link if anyone is interested: https://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ

05-11-2013
V.I.P.

Assorted posters

facebook / peterjackson

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hobbit