The Hunger Games Thread - Page 51 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
27-03-2012
fashion elite

I saw it yesterday and I think they did an amazing job. A love the camera movement and the fact that they didn't focus on showing killing to explicit. I missed the feeling of thirst and hunger.

I love Woody as Haymitch, he almost made him hot.

27-03-2012
fashion insider

I watched it again and it gets better and better. I can't wait for the next movie.

Love is fragile. And we're not always its best caretakers. We just muddle through and do the best we can. And hope this fragile thing survives against all odds.
27-03-2012
V.I.P.

has anyone seen this? it's so screwed up. O_O

V.I.P.

i saw that on ontd last night...so disgusting. even if she were white in the book it shouldn't matter, there's way too much white-washing going on in Hollywood anyways.
the most disturbing thing to me were the comments about how Rue's death isn't sad anymore...how does the colour of one's skin change anything?!

27-03-2012
fashion insider

That's really f*cked up.

I just read another article that stated that Jennifer isn't thin enough to play Katniss either.

Love is fragile. And we're not always its best caretakers. We just muddle through and do the best we can. And hope this fragile thing survives against all odds.

27-03-2012
V.I.P.

Crazy people out there... dangerous people out there...

on a happier note, this made me laugh

facebook/lacosacine

27-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvedansen View Post
i saw that on ontd last night...so disgusting. even if she were white in the book it shouldn't matter, there's way too much white-washing going on in Hollywood anyways.
the most disturbing thing to me were the comments about how Rue's death isn't sad anymore...how does the colour of one's skin change anything?!
i know! that tweet in particular was so sad to read and sick at the same time. i'm usually the first one to skim the description of people and just make it by myself in my head, but movie rue was better than the book rue i had in mind. you can tell why katniss stood by her side. the only thing regarding race that went through my mind while i was watching the movie is how good it is they had a great proportion of various races in it. i was like genuinely "rock on!". the whole whitewashing in HW obv took a toll on me and my movie watching.

i know people are picky about this book and all, but damn, i never thought it would go in this direction. it's so disturbing.

love the meme Koko!

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajrekshn View Post
has anyone seen this? it's so screwed up. O_O
I follow the tumblr, Hunger Games Tweets, which has rounded up so many of these racist tweets and brought attention to this issue. I really have to give a hand to the person who runs this tumblr for making people aware of how racist other people are though. I'm sure it would have gone unchecked otherwise. And it absolutely astounds me that people actually feel that Rue, Thresh, and Cinna shouldn't be black or that they are thought less of because of their race. In the case of Cinna his ethnicity was never specified in the books so he could have been anything (and I think it's great that the casting directors went with Lenny, he was perfect). But it was very clear in the books that Rue and Thresh were both black. So apparently, these people also don't know how to properly read. I think what upsets me the most about this is that people think less of Thresh, Rue, & Cinna because of their skin color. That they feel they can't sympathize/relate to these three simply because they aren't white. Ughh... they make our fandom look so bad...I say we kick them out!

Also, as far as casting goes, I think THG's did pretty well with the amount of diversity in it's actors. Of course there is always room for improvement however I think (or rather I guess I hope) they will hire even more people of different ethnicities for the next two films (or is it three now?). Personally, I'm hoping that Johanna is played by someone who isn't white (she's only described as having brown eyes and short brown hair... so she could be anything really). But that's just me....

Here's another interesting article which came out a few months ago the cast was announced about this issue. I know it's been spread about the internet so some of you might have already read it.
http://www.racialicious.com/2011/11/...-of-rue-cinna/

V.I.P.

^I would have been pissed if Rue and Thresh were white in the movie because like you and others said they were described having dark skin in the book. Only black, latin american or native american is the way to go... I forgive Katniss having light skin and blue eyes because I like Jen

The more articles I read I get angrier and angrier, it concerns me that youth in 2012 thinks like this... I wonder if the mayority of the racist fans are from US...?

Last edited by kokobombon; 27-03-2012 at 05:12 PM.
27-03-2012
fashion icon

^I feel the same way about Jen. Some people were really upset about Jen being cast but it didn't bother me too much because she was phenomenal in Winter's Bone so I knew she'd be a good Katniss. I can see why people were upset though. However, with Katniss it was a bit of a grey area what ethnicity she was, especially since she didn't look that much like her mother and sister (who were blond and fair skinned).

And yeah, Koko, I can't stop reading these articles even though they make me SO angry. I'm from the states and I'm not afraid to say that I definitely think a large majority of these racist fans are from the US. Not all of them mind you, but yeah, America still has some problems with race (and anyone who denies this is dumb... we don't live in a post-racial world yet. And even in Panem it wasn't really post-racial world because look at a lot of the people from from District 11 and how they were treated even more poorly then those from other districts...). But it looks like a lot of the people who've tweeted these racist things got a heck of a lot of tweets from people telling them they were racist. So hopefully a few of these people actually learned from this experience.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 27-03-2012 at 05:31 PM.
28-03-2012
V.I.P.

That article about the ignorant people complaining over the fact that there are black characters in the film is just disgusting. Seriously?! And I bet they're all Americans, no doubt.

Anyways, I saw the movie yesterday and overall I thought it was good. However, the pacing is SO slow. It's 2 hours and 20 minutes long and you can definitely tell. It just moved SO slow and it took them so long to get in the actual arena. I feel like they got to that point a lot faster in the book. Also, I feel like the film was missing something when it comes to visuals. For example, I think the costume designers missed an opportunity to really get "extravagant" and really show the vast difference between the capitol and the Districts, but I didn't really see that in the film. Yes, the costumes were great (particularly Effie's), but I think they could have done more.

When it comes to acting, I thought everyone was great. I was especially impressed with Jennifer, Liam (even though he's not in the film much), Lenny Kravitz, the actresses who played Rue, Prim, Glimmer, and Clove. And also the actors who played Cato and Seneca Crane. They were all exceptional! I was also really impressed with Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. He really toned down his performance, which I was happy to see. I did like Josh as Peeta in certain parts of the film, but seeing him and Jennifer on-screen together pretty much confirms what I already thought. Jennifer looks like she's 20 whereas Josh looks 17, so any idea of them having a romance is somewhat unbelievable on-screen. All Jennifer's scenes with Liam are much more believable, because they have chemistry.

One actor I wasn't happy with was Donald Sutherland. He just isn't nasty enough to play President Snow.

Last edited by sobriquet87; 28-03-2012 at 01:10 AM.
28-03-2012
tfs star

Honestly people, how dark can Katniss be if she has a sister with naturally blonde hair? I think in the books it also says her mother has blond hair as well.

28-03-2012
V.I.P.

yeah i was reading the tweets and was appalled and these were people who supposedly read the book how do manage to skip over the dark skin and brown skin details about Rue and Thresh? People in the world today are just hopeless and to shoot down such beautiful and talented people is just disgusting

28-03-2012
V.I.P.

^^I never pictured her black but more latin american type, the racial mixture is bigger and you can find familiy members with both blonde and dark hair, light and bronzed skin.

28-03-2012
fashion elite

I was probably still in the middle of the book when the cast of THG was finally revealed in last year's 'People' Magazine. So, it didn't at all faze me that Rue was black. The only person that surprised me was Lenny.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
games, hunger, thread