How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-03-2012
rising star

It seems strange to me that people thought that Rue was white.
I thought the actress that played her in the movie was the best cast of all of them because she looks exactly how I imagined Rue while I was reading the book. I would have been surprised if the would have chosen a white girl.

28-03-2012
backstage pass

I can't believe the racism of this issue as well. It seemed to me that Rue was black in the book, she was cast black. END OF STORY. I'm glad they stuck to the book with this casting and it makes NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER in my experience of Rue's death scene--sad is sad. I'm shocked people are doing this in 2012.

28-03-2012
tfs star

The sad thing about all of this racism is that it's all from the younger generation, THE FUTURE, and things still haven't changed.

29-03-2012
backstage pass

I went to see this yesterday, i loved it. So impressed with the casting and acting. I really loved how Lenny Kravitz played Cinna he's one of my favourite characters in the book and Josh Hutcherson made me like Peeta more than what i thought of him from the book. I took a friend who hadn't read the book and wasn't really interested in it much but she loved it and couldn't stop talking about it afterwards.

V.I.P.

Nylon April 2012
Willow "Prim" Shields

ebook-free-download.net

29-03-2012
front row

Well, i've alreeady seen the movie and i have to say i didn't like it. It's a pretty weak adaptation in my opinion. Everything is too toned down and the history loses its depth. For example the killings, the clearest example Rue's death, they made it like if she was hit by accident instead of a deliberate act trying to take off as much cruelty as possible to her death, and if you take the cruelty from this movie, it becomes nothing. The reaping scene was very dissaponting and bad raised.Also the relations between characters are not well developed and they are too shallow, best examples Katniss's mother (a statue when she heard her little daughter was chosen for the games) or Rue, that's why her death leaves you cold, you don't get to have empathy with her. The game itself is quite boring, the rest of the players are almost non existent, there is no tension , you watch the players die like if you are watching the raining fall.
I didn't like the direction , how the story is adapted to the screen and the music goes unnoticed, which is not good. Katniss and Peta were great in their roles but ballasted by the bad directing.
I give it a 6/10.

30-03-2012
V.I.P.

yeah, i think that the violence was totally toned down, the only obvious scenes on it were the start of the games and that's about it. rue's death was also totally toned down. i guess it goes with the territory of PG13, but whether it succeeded in conveying the message that these are "kids killing kids" to those who haven't read the book it's pretty unclear.

Looking Up

I'm confused with this racism issue. Why were those people exactly surprised that Rue was black? Even the book mentioned a "dark skinned" girl. Anyway, those comments are just awful. The film was fantastic, and I've never read the book.

30-03-2012
fashion insider

^ because they clearly didn't read closely enough! Or their little brains whited that part out...

It's ridiculous because it's right there in the books but even if it wasn't in the books it would be disgusting for people to say they feel less sympathetic about Rue's death. I can't believe people can really say those things

Looking Up

^ I know, right? Usually this sort of thing is a result of the media's over-exaggeration of a meaningless incident, but these people are just outright inhumane. Why would a black person "ruin" a movie?

Meanwhile, do you guys recommend the book? My best friend read it and forced me to see the film, literally, the second he finished the book

Last edited by Squizree; 30-03-2012 at 07:33 AM.
30-03-2012
V.I.P.

^if you liked the movie, you should definitely give the books a try. they're very fast reads, just don't expect great literature, i liked them, but Collins is not the most gifted writer tbh

30-03-2012
Looking Up

^ Oh yes, I understand. Just entertainment I guess.

30-03-2012
V.I.P.

i pictured Rue as a latin american-type, i have no idea why, probably because Collins wrote dark skinned and not black. but it really doesn't matter, the girl was good who played her.

i think it was quite a fair adaptation, i really liked the music. but i agree, they really toned down the violence... (because of business reasons, of course...)

30-03-2012
fashion icon

I just back from seeing the film a second time and I liked it even more this time around. I noticed more things about it this time but one thing that stood out to me was towards the end. When Seneca Crane goes into the room where he's forced to eat the berries there is a vase of white red roses on the right side of the room. I'm guessing they were a calling card from Snow. Anyways, I really liked that little detail, it was clever of them. Also, it's sort of a foreshadowing things in Catching Fire and Mockingjay (especially the last book) too.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 30-03-2012 at 03:10 PM.
31-03-2012
windowshopping

Is the music from this trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNxb28j5C1w in the soundtrack? If yes, which one is it?
1:16-2:20 (can be herd better after 2:00)

Thanks

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
games, hunger, thread