How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2012
backstage pass

^oh wow,almost half a year, that's even longer than twilight, I'd like to watch it again and as it wasn't that popular here, it's no longer in cinemas.

18-04-2012
fashion icon

It sucks that Gary won't be doing the 2nd and 3rd one.

19-04-2012
tfs star

I didn't really enjoy his vision of the film. Not the lack of gore and shaky camera that bugged me the most, but the movie lost the whole sense of anxiety. Throughout the whole film, it never felt like Katniss was in actual danger.
Anyway, Lionsgate has narrowed it down to two directors:

Quote:

Catching Fire Down to Two Possible Directors

Steel yourself for a plethora of sports-themed Moneyball/Hunger Games headlines or for hordes of confused viewers wondering how J-Law's dad found his way behind the camera for Catching Fire, as Bennett Miller and Francis Lawrence (not really Jennifer's father, but there will be confusion) are reportedly Lionsgate's final two directors in contention for the sequel. Deadline predicts Miller as the likely candidate after his big success with Moneyball, but mentions Miller's plans to film Foxcatcher conflicting with Catching Fire's scheduled August start. The L.A. Times notes Lawrence, who did 2011's Water for Elephants, has special effects chops honed on big-budget productions like Constantine and I Am Legend. While Miller and Lawrence joined the already sizable stable of potential directors just a couple days ago, the word is now that one of these two could be chosen as soon as the end of this week.
NYMAg

20-04-2012
front row

Apparently Lawrence was chosen:
Francis Lawrence Is Lionsgate's Choice to Direct 'Hunger Games' Sequel 'Catching Fire' (Exclusive)

Quote:
After a quick but fairly exhaustive search, Lionsgate has chosen Francis Lawrence to direct the Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire.

Sources say Lawrence will receive an official offer Thursday afternoon. If he accepts and a deal can be worked out, he will replace Gary Ross, who directed the hugely successful first installment of the franchise.

The hunt has been fast and furious, with the field narrowing down to Lawrence, director of I Am Legend and Water for Elephants, and Bennett Miller, who helmed the Oscar-nominated Brad Pitt baseball movie Moneyball. Both directors met with the studio Thursday, according to sources, and Lionsgate executives have made their pick.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...14244#comments

20-04-2012
fashion insider

I liked Water for Elephants and I rarely like modern attempts from that genre. I think he's a good choice, he isn't at the standard of the first three directors but I don't think Lionsgate were ever going to get them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pixiedust1603; 20-04-2012 at 04:42 AM.

20-04-2012
backstage pass

I am Legend was alright and Water for Elephants was visually stunning, but I don't know if that can be credited to Lawrence or the cinematographer?

I think Lawrence's list of music videos is impressive though:

Quote:
Music video for Justin Timberlake "Rock Your Body" ((2003))

(2002): Directed music video for Avril Lavigne, "Sk8er Boi".

(2002): Directed music video for Britney Spears, "I'm a slave 4 u".

(2002): Directed music video for Pink, "Just Like A pill".

Directed music video "Hands clean" by Alanis Morissette

Directed music video "Whenever wherever" by Shakira

Directed music video "Alive" by P.O.D.

Directed music video "Someone to call my lover" by Janet Jackson

Directed music video "Play" by Jennifer Lopez

Directed music video "Jaded" by Aerosmith

Directed music video "Here is gone" by Goo Goo Dolls

Directed music video "Black Suits Comin' (Nod Ya Head)" by Will Smith

Directed music video "Warning" by Incubus

Music video for Justin Timberlake "Cry Me a River" (2003)

(2000): Directed music video for Third Eye Blind, "Ten Days Late"

Directed music video "Independent women - part I" by Destiny's Child

Directed music video "I'm like a bird" by Nelly Furtado

Directed music video "Warning" by Green Day

Directed music video "The call" by Backstreet Boys

Directed music video "I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman" by Britney Spears

(2004): Directed music video for The Black Eyed Peas, "Let's Get It Started".

(2004): Directed music video for Gwen Stefani, "What You Waiting For?"

(1998): Directed music video for Third Eye Blind, "Losing A Whole Year"

(2005): Directed music video for Audioslave, "Be Yourself".

Directed Ginuwine's video "What's so different" 1999

Directed 'Goodbye to You' for Michelle Branch

(1997) Directed the music video for "10 in 2010" by Bad Religion

(1999): Directed as Alan Smithee music video for Jennifer Lopez, "Waiting for Tonight"

(2009): Directed music video for Lady Gaga, "Bad Romance"
imdb.com

20-04-2012
fashion icon

To be honest I haven't seen either of Francis Lawrence's movies so I can't judge on that score but I've seen a good portion of the music video's he's directed... quite impressive! Some of my favorite songs and some really good video's too. Also, maybe it's a good thing they went with a lesser known director, this gives him a chance to come into his own.

backstage pass

As I see from his movies and clips his works aren't that bad, Constantine, I Am Legend and Water for Elephants are some good (and highly rated) movies. I'm sad they haven't chosen Gary as a director for next movies(considering that the movie was really well appreciated).

20-04-2012
backstage pass

I am cautiously optimistic about Lawrence as director, as I just saw Water for Elephants not long ago and thought it was fairly well done. I guess we will all have to wait and see how he does.

20-04-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niusity View Post
As I see from his movies and clips his works aren't that bad, Constantine, I Am Legend and Water for Elephants are some good (and highly rated) movies. I'm sad they haven't chosen Gary as a director for next movies(considering that the movie was really well appreciated).
Well, it was Gary who didn't want to do it. Unless he wasn't offered enough money..

21-04-2012
backstage pass

^if it was him who left the project it's for sure because of the money. After the success of the 1st movie, it's absolutelly natural for a director to ask for more money. I don't see other reasons(unless he's got smth bigger.)

05-05-2012
fashion icon

So it seems that people are getting upset with some of the casting suggestions for Finnick. And I'm really curious to know what everyone else thinks. Personally, when I read the books I pictured someone of Middle Eastern decent. However that said, I could not for the life of me picture the right actor to play Finnick. Honestly, no one was able to match my image of what Finnick was suppose to be like. Yet, after seeing Jesse Williams name being thrown around I could totally get on board with him playing Finnick. Whoever they cast has to be able not only look mighty fine but also be able to play the serious part of his story too. Because there is more to his story then just being a pretty face.

jezebel.com

Quote:
Another Racist Sh*tstorm Brews Over Casting Hunger Games’ Finnick

Central casting has taken wallops from both sides over their various ethnic interpretations of characters from Suzanne Collins' YA dystopian trilogy as they're being converted to the big screen (note: very, very successfully). To be fair, this is complicated particularly because the futuristic setting suggests that the general population is mixed-race; many characters are described as having "dusky" or "olive" skin, and we've even published a comprehensive character-by-character racial breakdown to clear up the confusion.

The first big ****storm was over the handpicking of stacked blonde Jennifer Lawrence to transform into dark-complexioned protagonist Katniss Everdeen. The second was the casting of a black child actress named Amandla Stenberg as the ill-fated 11-year-old tribute Rue. Who was pissed about that one? Um, racists!

The character of Finnick Odair doesn't appear until the second two books/movies, Catching Fire and Mockingjay, and is described as an extremely handsome man with "tan skin" (also referred to as "golden"), "bronze-colored hair" and "incredible" sea-green eyes. A Hunger Games fan started campaigning for Cabin In The Woods and Grey's Anatomy actor Jesse Williams to get the part, launching a Jesse for Finnick platform on Tumblr and Twitter, but she hardly expected to receive the kind of response she got from the community—which, although only a few people are short-sighted enough to come right out and say it on message boards like this one, seems to be an overwhelming knee-jerk response of "FINNICK IS WHITE."

I think that Jesse Wiliams just won't work. Finnick Odair in my eyes is Tall, young, disheveled medium long luscious Golden blonde hair, ocean blue colored eyes, he has a glowing tan, washboard abs, and wears almost no clothes, at the same times carries a trident. That is the guy i wan't to see as Finnick. For example PERFECT GUY is Ian Somerhalder. Color him blonde and throw in some contacts and wala you have Finnick Odair!

I'm sorry but unless I read the wrong book, isn't Finnick Caucasian? By tanned skin Collins meant his skin was darkened from the sun (swimming/fishing) not that he is of a darker skin ethnicity... Don't get me wrong, this guy is great just completely wrong for this role.

When alternative suggestions are provided, they include Caucasian actors Somerhalder, Chace Crawford and Taylor Kitsch (but even then, many people simply say "No" or "No way" or "He's wrong" — because not even white boys are good enough?). The moderator of the Tumblr site tells us that many fans want to see a Robert Pattinson-type in the role, and they don't think a black actor can accurately convey Finnick's supposed hotness. Because black guys can't be hot? (Clearly these people have never seen Idris Elba. Or Jesse Williams, for that matter.) She also says that one commenter "even tried to say that being tan (one of the descriptions of Finnick) is only for white people because black people are black already."

Meanwhile, what does Williams himself have to say about all this? He told E! Online:

I didn't know what the heck a Finnick was when I was getting a lot of the questions about it. People are creative about that kind of stuff, and now I'll try to figure out if that's something that's interesting to me.

Haha, come on, dude. Come ON. You're sh**ting yourself trying to get this part. Just admit it. Oh, you're gonna keep playing cool? Fine. When you look as good as you do, you can play it however you want.
http://jezebel.com/5907900/casting-o...race-****storm

V.I.P.

Williams fits the description just right, he has a nice body too and he can act (he´s not that great but he´s not bad either). That said, I don´t know many black actors with light colored eyes.
A nice casting choice would be a latin actor, there are plenty with bronze skin and blue/green eyes. When I was reading the books I´ve pictured latin people whenever they were described as having olive/bronze skin. Unless the description said white, I never thought of them being caucasian...
Anyway, at the end of the day it doesn´t matter if they cast someone whose description is a 100% accurate, as long as they can act and have some chemistry with the rest I´m ok with it.

06-05-2012
fashion icon

I pictured Finnick looking pretty much like Jesse Williams, so I'd be fine with him getting the part.

07-05-2012
tfs star

Wasn't Finnick supposed to be blond? I imagined him more of a Greek sculpture.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
games, hunger, thread