How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-05-2012
V.I.P.

^the description said bronze hair which to me is brownish, but some browns are labeled blonde so who knows lol
and there are blondes outside the caucasian race so again, I think a latin actor would fit nicely

07-05-2012
fashion icon

^I believe Bronze is a brownish color. If Finnick were blonde, I'm sure the author would have described him as such like she did Prim and Katniss's mom.

07-05-2012
tfs star

I don't know why (perhaps due to him being from beach/district 4) but I always imagine dhim as a surfer-boy type

07-05-2012
fashion icon

It is really interesting that we all have our own perceptions of what Finnick would look like. I think how we perceive story characters has to do a lot with our own experiences which is probably why so many people pictured people like Thresh, Rue, Finnick, etc as white because that's what they automatically assumed they were. Some people automatically assume that a character is white if no description is given (or even when a description is given... which is most certainly racist). However, these people are definitely racist if they continue to get upset/angry about casting issues because they thought, "only a white person could play this character." And especially in a world like Panem, which is set in the future, it makes sense that their would be a lot more diversity. Thus, the film ought to reflect that. And so far, I think THG's has actually done a pretty good job. And I hope they continue to cast a diverse group of different people for the characters.

Also, as a sidenote, I pictured Finnick with a swimmers body (which makes sense since he's from District 4). Obviously very athletic looking but especially having amazing abs, like Michael Phelps or Ryan Lochte.

fashion elite

Sam Clafin has alledgedly been offered the role of Finnick. He is completely wrong for Finnick , in my opinion, and all the other guys who were in the frame for Finnick such as Taylor Kitsch, Armie Hammer and Garret Hedlund were a million times better. Oh yeah Melissa Leo, Tony Shalhoub, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman (brilliant casting) are also set to be in Catching Fire.

Quote:
With two blockbusters under his belt, Brit thesp Sam Claflin looks to be lining up one more, as sources tell Variety that the "Snow White and the Huntsman" star is the choice to play Finnick Odair in Lionsgate's sequel "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire."
Additionally, sources say that Oscar winner Melissa Leo and three-time Emmy winner Tony Shalhoub are the frontrunners to play Mags and Beetee, respectively. Regardless of the status of their potential involvement, Claflin, Leo and Shalhoub are all on the studio's shortlist for roles in the highly-anticipated sequel.

Lionsgate and all of the actors' respective reps had no comment on the casting.

Finnick was the most coveted available role in the "Hunger Games" sequel, and sources tell Variety that Claflin is nearing an offer. The character, who was 14 when he was selected as a tribute, is one of the youngest to have won the Hunger Games. Katniss does not trust him at first and is hesitant to make Finnick her ally, though he proves to be valuable after he saves Peeta from drowning in the Quarter Quell.

Mags was Finnick's mentor when he first competed in the Hunger Games. She volunteers to take the place of his lover, Annie Cresta, in order to spare her life. Katniss makes it a point to ally with her because of her selflessness.

Beetee is an inventor who Johanna Mason nicknames "Volts" due to his knack for using electricity as a weapon. He's ability to create a forcefield is crucial to the Rebels' plan to rescue the Hunger Games tributes in the Quarter Quell.

Claflin burst onto Hollywood's radar when he scored a key supporting role alongside Johnny Depp in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides." He went on to vie for Kristen Stewart's affections in "Snow White and the Huntsman." He's repped by CAA and Independent Talent Group.

Indie veteran Leo has never appeared in a blockbuster movie, though she is currently filming a key supporting role alongside Tom Cruise in Joseph Kosinski's "Oblivion," based on the graphic novel from Radical Publishing. She's repped by CAA and Untitled Entertainment.

Shalhoub is no stranger to studio blockbusters, having appeared in two "Men in Black" films and three "Spy Kids" pics. He's repped by ICM Partners.
Variety

17-07-2012
V.I.P.

^I´ve seen Clafin in Pirates, he has zero charisma and screen presence imo. But I wasn´t happy with the casting of the male leads either and they´re not bad after all so who knows...

17-07-2012
backstage pass

I've only seen Claflin in Pillars of the Earth so far and I would have to see more to have any sort of judgement. Let's all just wait and see until the part is cast for sure.

17-07-2012
fashion icon

I have to admit that I haven't seen Sam in anything yet so I can't judge on his acting abilities but look-wise from the pictures I've seen he can definitely be smoldering. Though to be honest, I never would have pictured Finnick with dimples when he smiles. But it is rather cute. Obviously this isn't official yet, but I was hoping they would cast someone who wasn't white in the role of Finnick, but that's just how I pictured the character. I could live with Sam being Finnick though, just as long as he manages to capture the essence of character well. Also, wouldn't Melissa Leo be too young to play Mags? I thought Mags was suppose to be like 80+ years old. But maybe they will put a ton of makeup on her?

V.I.P.

i don't mind Sam (although after i've seen his name pop up for the role all the time - as a fan fave - i was really rooting for Jesse Williams)

i just hope Jena Malone won't be cast as Johanna Mason, not at all how i pictured her

18-07-2012
fashion elite

I think Sam has the potential to be good acting wise but it's more that he doesn't fit the physical description. Sam is cute but not drop dead gorgeous in the way Finnick is described as and, I think more than any character, the actor really should match the description.
Posted via Mobile Device

18-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
Also, wouldn't Melissa Leo be too young to play Mags? I thought Mags was suppose to be like 80+ years old. But maybe they will put a ton of makeup on her?
I thought the same thing--Mags is in her '80s in the book. I was hoping to see Betty White in a Hunger Games film! I don't know what the reasoning is behind Leo being considered--she is extremely talented, and seeing any actress past 45 get major roles like this is great, but this was a chance to really employ a legend. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

19-07-2012
fashion elite

Melissa Leo's reps said that she hasn't got the role.
Posted via Mobile Device

23-07-2012
backstage pass

^such a shame, I was so exited about her being in a Hunger Games movie, maybe she's not the right age, but nobody there is and she's a good actress!

Oh, maybe Betty White would make a good Mags or Shirley MacLaine or Cloris Leachman.

I just hope there will still be a Mags, portrayed by a good, nice actress.

10-08-2012
fashion icon

It's been a while since I read the books, so I've had to look up the character profile for Johanna:

Quote:
Born in District 7, whose industry is Lumber, Johanna Mason is pretty handy with an axe. She won her Games by posing as a weakling so no one would notice her. She then demonstrated a "wicked ability to murder". Allied with Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark in the Third Quarter Quell, Johanna is sassy and bold. She comes off as mean sometimes, but she stays true to her alliance till the very end. She has spiky brown hair and wide-set brown eyes.
imdb

I'm probably the only one then that likes Jena Malone as Johanna. I think she quite fits the bill. Like, she may look vulnerable, but she's got sass.

Last edited by chicandcool; 10-08-2012 at 10:35 PM.
11-08-2012
V.I.P.

^ia

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
games, hunger, thread