How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-01-2010
backstage pass

Leeroi- I'm so happy this thread is coming to life! Thanks for contributing.

Well then.. I guess I should put off watching Dream. I like Kim Bum, but I don't really "love" him. HAHA.
I liked You're Beautiful more than BOF as well! I'm glad I found someone else who agrees with me. Lots of people I know are BOF die hard fans and I thought it was okay. Personally, I enjoyed Hana Yori Dango much more. All my fellow koreans are going to kill me now. HAHA. Just kidding. Lee Min Ho doesn't have that hair anymore. He had to perm it like crazy to get the Goo Junpyo hair!

Iris is VERY fun! I think you'll enjoy it. The storyline is complex and the acting is SUPERB! Are you a Kim Taehee fan? She is voted as the no. 1 most beautiful korean actress in Korea right now. HAHA. It's such a unique drama. I don't even feel like it was a korean drama.

07-01-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkmin90 View Post
Leeroi- I'm so happy this thread is coming to life! Thanks for contributing.

Well then.. I guess I should put off watching Dream. I like Kim Bum, but I don't really "love" him. HAHA.
I liked You're Beautiful more than BOF as well! I'm glad I found someone else who agrees with me. Lots of people I know are BOF die hard fans and I thought it was okay. Personally, I enjoyed Hana Yori Dango much more. All my fellow koreans are going to kill me now. HAHA. Just kidding. Lee Min Ho doesn't have that hair anymore. He had to perm it like crazy to get the Goo Junpyo hair!

Iris is VERY fun! I think you'll enjoy it. The storyline is complex and the acting is SUPERB! Are you a Kim Taehee fan? She is voted as the no. 1 most beautiful korean actress in Korea right now. HAHA. It's such a unique drama. I don't even feel like it was a korean drama.
I think most girls like BOF more because of the good looking people. I personally don't care if the actors or actresses are good looking or not because even the most beautiful people can't save a bad story line and acting. Haha. And BOF was soooo long for no reason. And that Paradise song kept playing and it got annoying. Haha. But personally, I enjoyed BOF more than Hana Yori Dango; because HYD was a bit depressing beginning to end, except the female lead was a better actress than her counter part in BOF.

Kim Tae Hee? Wasn't she in Stairway To Heaven, she was such a b*tch in it, but she played it well. Haha. I'm download Iris right now, so I'll probably start watching it when I finish download 5 episodes.

I'm overly obsessed with Korean culture right now, actually planning on moving to Korea after graduating college. Seriously, I bought a 500gb external hard-drive and now 400gb of it is Korean movies, dramas, and music. Haha.

Oh, Shining Inheritance was also good. Except it was also too long. 28 episodes!

07-01-2010
backstage pass

Leeroi- OMG! You're planning on moving to korea?? Lucky you! I want to go visit soon, but I'm too busy with college myself. So you're into korean music as well? Yayyy!

I LOVED shining inheritance! I actually didn't mind the length because it was so fun. I couldn't stop watching until the end and I still wanted more. The storyline was fun!

That Paradise song in BOF was soooo random! HAHA. I actually had it as my ringtone once and it got really old very fast.
HYD did have some depressing component to it. I totally forgot.

Kim Tae Hee was the evil girl in Stairway to Heaven! She was SOOOO evil! HAHA. But she's portrayed many different characters and usually does pretty well. In Iris, she's completely different.

I think you're going to love Iris! ^o^

07-01-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkmin90 View Post
Leeroi- OMG! You're planning on moving to korea?? Lucky you! I want to go visit soon, but I'm too busy with college myself. So you're into korean music as well? Yayyy!

I LOVED shining inheritance! I actually didn't mind the length because it was so fun. I couldn't stop watching until the end and I still wanted more. The storyline was fun!

That Paradise song in BOF was soooo random! HAHA. I actually had it as my ringtone once and it got really old very fast.
HYD did have some depressing component to it. I totally forgot.

Kim Tae Hee was the evil girl in Stairway to Heaven! She was SOOOO evil! HAHA. But she's portrayed many different characters and usually does pretty well. In Iris, she's completely different.

I think you're going to love Iris! ^o^
Yup, I heard from a Korean friend that the standard of living in Seoul is high, but still way cheaper than Tokyo or Paris, so I'm definitely moving there. And it's a very English friendly area so I shouldn't have a problem getting around even though I don't really speak Korean. I noticed the relatively low cost also through Kdramas, haha.

Do you download your dramas or you just watch them online?

07-01-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post
Yup, I heard from a Korean friend that the standard of living in Seoul is high, but still way cheaper than Tokyo or Paris, so I'm definitely moving there. And it's a very English friendly area so I shouldn't have a problem getting around even though I don't really speak Korean. I noticed the relatively low cost also through Kdramas, haha.

Do you download your dramas or you just watch them online?
Koreans love English. HAHA. They try really hard to speak it well.
You're going to love Korea! It's a wonderful place.

I usually watch dramas online and sometimes through a Korean website with raw dramas (without eng subs) since I'm fluent in Korean. If I really love a drama, I download dramas to watch whenever. I did that with My Girl.

Have you started Iris yet?

07-01-2010
trendsetter

Well, I have 2-3 more years before I actually move so I'll probably take some Korean classes here and there. I heard how you talk to people is really strict there, kinda scared about that.

I'm starting it right now! I'm going to watch one episode of Iris then one episode of My Girl. I'm gonna switch from one drama to the other to keep my mind going, haha, plus the website I was downloading Iris from is having problems.

07-01-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post
Well, I have 2-3 more years before I actually move so I'll probably take some Korean classes here and there. I heard how you talk to people is really strict there, kinda scared about that.

I'm starting it right now! I'm going to watch one episode of Iris then one episode of My Girl. I'm gonna switch from one drama to the other to keep my mind going, haha, plus the website I was downloading Iris from is having problems.
I would say Korean is a pretty easy language to pick up! I have few friends who can speak and they've been teaching themselves! Korean dramas are perfect for learning the language as well!
There is a formal and informal way of talking to people, but you shouldn't be scared. They will understand! It's kind of complicated and weird, in my opinion, but that's just how things work in Korean culture.

Ohhh let me know what you think about both dramas!!

07-01-2010
V.I.P.

I was crazy about Boys over Flowers. I watched it mainly for the Soeulmate couple. I'd just wait out the entire week waiting for Mondays and Tuesdays to come. That couple was so f-ing awesome.

Generally speaking, I have to suspend my disbelief when watching K-drama, b/c they are set in dimension separate from this reality. On the whole, I find most k-dramas rather cringe-worthy, irritating, and repetitive. The girl protagonists are always ditzy, cutesy, dumb, comical, spineless, and weak.

The plot either has to do with an "attractive" rich guy, his bitchy but elegant ex-girlfriend, and the heroine who's cute, innocent, dumb, and not-as-rich. There's always some type of CANCER. Eye cancer, brain cancer, lung cancer, somehow some character always get cancer and dies (Stairway to Heaven - I'm looking at you). It's becoming snore-worthy predictable.

It's also hard for me to adjust to the humor in K-dramas. Since I'm use to British/American humor that relies on a lot of mockery, sarcasm, irony, wit, subtlety, and dryness, I don't find the exaggerated sound effects and facial expressions in K-dramas all that funny.

Still, I admit that K-dramas are addictive. Like stay-up-3-nights-in-a-row-addictive. Watching them is a good fun. I'd recommend My Name is Kim Sam Soon for anyone who is on the lookout for a drama to try. I thought the plot and acting were relatively superb to most of its drama counterparts.

But satisfaction brought it back
07-01-2010
backstage pass

eternitygoddess- Yes. All the Korean drama cliches. My friend and I were going through all the cliches and basically, we've come to the conclusion that korean dramas are relatively the same. Yet, we still watch them and have sleepless nights. HAHA.
Sometimes, when I watch a drama, the ending is so clear and technically, I probably don't have to go to the end, but it's satisfying to go to the end.

What I find entertaining about korean dramas is the whole fact that they are completely unrealistic and overly dramatic! There are some dramas where the main character gets hit by a car twice, which brings memory loss and then gain. I mean... that's totally unrealistic, but it makes us want to watch more of it.

Ah yes! My Name is Kim Samsoon is a must watch! Quite an awesome cast as well! I'm glad you brought up that drama here!

07-01-2010
backstage pass

oh and I forgot..
eternitygoddess, if you enjoyed Boys Over Flowers, I recommend You're Beautiful! I think you may like it. It was a big hit this year.
http://www.koreandrama.org/?p=890 <Here's the synopsis!

07-01-2010
V.I.P.

Oh-wow, a thread for Korean dramas! It's awesome

07-01-2010
backstage pass

Can someone help me figure out how to post youtube vids on here that we can watch without being directed to a link? I want to post some korean drama vids...

07-01-2010
V.I.P.

[ yt ]the number code after the youtube link's = sign[/ y t]

don't include the spaces in the brackets when you actually do yours. I did that just so it wouldn't come up as a blank youtube screen.

But satisfaction brought it back

Last edited by eternitygoddess; 07-01-2010 at 08:44 PM.
07-01-2010
trendsetter

The thing I like about Kdramas is the fact that the video quality they use doesn't make it seem like a "soap-opera" but instead a really really long movie. Like for example, if you look at American soap-operas, you notice right away that they're using cheap cameras, cheap sets, and so forth. Kdramas actually use cameras they would use for movies and sets for movies.

Last edited by Leeroi; 07-01-2010 at 08:46 PM.
07-01-2010
trendsetter

Oh, and I think in general all soap-operas, Korean or not, are just an exaggeration of reality. I've yet to watch any kind of television show that was completely realistic.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
entertainers, entertainment, korean