How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-01-2014
windowshopping

Labyrinth Starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly
Does anyone else here love Labyrinth? I checked and couldn't find a thread on it, so figured I'd start one. I know a lot of people saw it as kids and remember it fondly - I was a teen when I first saw it and fell in love with it instantly. The costumes are really spectacular, though I will concede they're about as 1980s as it gets!

Last edited by lucy92; 23-01-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: removing improperly credited images

23-01-2014
V.I.P.

i loved this movie. when i saw it as a child i was really attracted to David Bowie..i loved that line "just let me rule you..."

the junk woman gave me the creeps.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i loved this movie. when i saw it as a child i was really attracted to David Bowie..i loved that line "just let me rule you..."

the junk woman gave me the creeps.
David Bowie is incredibly attractive in Labyrinth (and in general) - he really shouldn't be, but he is. It's a mix of the look and the performance - Bowie's line delivery is fantastic!

23-01-2014
V.I.P.

the other scene that freaked me out is when jennifer connolly's character falls down the hole with all the hands.

hellonostradamus.tumblr.com

boop

Classic film - definitely think it inspired Bowie's Louis Vuitton ads with Arizona Muse. The movie is much more fantastical but they share a common thread.

23-01-2014
fashion icon

Labyrinth must be one of my favorite movies. It's quite silly in some ways actually, but I still love its naivity and of course the visual aspects. Not to mention David Bowie who's the reason why I watched it first place.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Classic film - definitely think it inspired Bowie's Louis Vuitton ads with Arizona Muse. The movie is much more fantastical but they share a common thread.
I put together a comparison between shots from the ad and shots from Labyrinth - it really has to be deliberate, since the ad copies Labyrinth shot-for-shot at certain points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsdagny View Post
Labyrinth must be one of my favorite movies. It's quite silly in some ways actually, but I still love its naivity and of course the visual aspects. Not to mention David Bowie who's the reason why I watched it first place.
Labyrinth's weird in that it combines scenes of extreme silliness (a muddy pool that farts!) with scenes that have a very dark subtext (38-year-old David Bowie seducing 14-year-old Jennifer Connelly). It makes the film very uneven at parts, but I like it - it keeps it unpredictable.

Last edited by lucy92; 23-01-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: removing link to blog
23-01-2014
V.I.P.

This movie was such a formative piece of media for me, I must have watched it once a week as a kid. It's still one of my favorites.

V.I.P.

I saw it the other day for the very first time. I don't know why, I wish I would see it as a kid, I mean I'm 1 year younger than the movie.

David Bowie is fantastic, and Jennifer Connelly so young and pretty. Absolutely loved it!

Tags
bowie, connelly, david, jennifer, labyrinth, starring, w or