How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-10-2012
backstage pass

Lars Von Trier
I thought we should have a thread to discuss both director Lars Von Trier's past and upcoming film projects

Upcoming projects: Nymphomaniac (2013) and Nymphomaniac 2 (2013) starring Charlotte Gainsbourg, Stellan Skarsgard, Shia LaBeouf and Jamie Bell

Nymphomaniac is slated for a release date of May 30, 2013

10-10-2012
backstage pass

Uma Thurman Joins The Cast Of Nymphomaniac

Quote:
Always offering taboo subject matter in uncompromising cinema, Lars Von Trier is a fearless filmmaker who asks a lot of his actors, but the payoff is huge. Bjork, Nicole Kidman and Kirsten Dunst each won a new level of respect from the critical community by giving themselves over to Von Trier's awe-striking and often brutal visions. The latest leading lady lured in by the promise of a Von Trier boost is Uma Thurman, who has officially signed on to Nymphomaniac.

The film is already raising eyebrows over reports that it will be released in two versions, one that features hardcore (and possibly real) sex, and one that will be tamer. Of course, with Von Trier at the helm, "tamer" takes a much different definition, but assume the latter would get an R-rating Stateside as Dogville did. Projected to be told in two parts, Nymphomaniac will follow the titular nympho named Jo, as she unfolds her sexual life from birth to age 50. Regular Von Trier collaborator Charlotte Gainsbourg and newcomer Stacy Martin will share the role, with the latter playing "young Jo."

THR notes it's unknown what part Thurman will have in the film, or by extension how much will be asked of her. To date Shia LaBeouf, who has been making all kinds of wild claims about what Nymphomaniac has in store, has been sharing the most, and seems really eager to cement himself as a "serious" actor by teaming up with the acclaimed but also notorious filmmaker. For Thurman's part, her career could use a shot in the arm. Her last headlining role was in 2009's Motherhood, which made an embarrassing $726,000 worldwide. This followed a string of flops that included The Life Before Her Eyes, My Super Ex-Girlfriend, and The Accidental Husband, which went straight to DVD in the US.

Now, joining a cast that includes Jamie Bell, Stellan Skarsgard, Connie Nielsen and Christian Slater, things are looking up for Thurman. Because even though Nymphomaniac hasn't yet secured a domestic distributor, the star-studded cast coupled with Von Trier's reputation seems sure to score the film an art house run Stateside. For now, the erotic drama is shooting in and around Cologne, Germany, and is expected to hit theaters in 2013.
cinema blend

11-10-2012
V.I.P.

I am excited!

13-10-2012
fashion insider

Von Trier is one of those filmmakers who will always be divisive. And let's face it, his little 'joke' press conference at Cannes was incredibly stupid and hardly won him any new fans. It quite probably cost Melancholia an Oscar nom.

I loved that film though so I am looking forward to Nymphomaniac despite the presence of Shia LaBeouf.

I don't like everything he's done. Didn't really get Antichrist for example, but I'd be willing to give it another viewing.

Breaking The Waves and Dancer In The Dark are amazing, but also I find so difficult to watch that I know I'd need to be in the right frame of mind to see them again.

13-10-2012
V.I.P.

Agree with all you've said Chaky. I think one thing that I've noticed in Antichrist and Melancholia, however, is that Von Trier has firmly left his Dogme 95 roots behind in terms of shooting style. Now, it's the cinematography that stands out for it's beauty in his films. Some of the sequences in the forest in Antichrist, and some of the opening and ending sequences in Melancholia, were mind-blowingly beautiful and stunning to look at. Much different than Breaking the Waves or Dancer in the Dark, in terms of style, as they were essentially realist.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lars, trier, von