How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

24-12-2012
V.I.P.

Dogtooth - this film made me feel very uneasy..

25-12-2012
front row

Bab'Aziz (2005)

25-12-2012
Feels Like Heaven

Pitch Perfect
Julie & Julia
It's Complicated
Zombieland
The Way Back
They Air I Breathe
Up In The Air
Premonition

25-12-2012
you set the scene

Killer Joe... it was absolute absurdity and I LOVED it. It's a super violent, pitch-black comedy with such incredible acting. I'm not sure if it was meant to be social commentary but the depiction of that subset of Texans rang verrrry true.

25-12-2012
fashion insider

Gone With The Wind with the rest of Britain today

25-12-2012
fashion icon

Les Miserables- Just got back from the theater after seeing this film. For the most part I was throughly impressed with this adaptation. It was beautifully done and totally had me in tears a few times. Anne Hathaway's turn as Fantine was wonderful, especially her rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream", to me, that's how the song should be sung. However, I do think it's a shame that Samantha Barkes isn't getting as much praise, she was the perfect Eponine. And I was impressed with Eddie Redmayne's turn as Marius, to me it was scene stealing. I know Anne has been getting a lot of praise for her role but Eddie should be getting attention as well. Overall, I think considering how massive the story is they were able convey it well, and that it's a pleasing adaptation, hopefully other fans of the musical like it too!

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 25-12-2012 at 10:15 PM.

25-12-2012
penniless sitar player

total recall

26-12-2012
Away From Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
Les Miserables- Just got back from the theater after seeing this film. For the most part I was throughly impressed with this adaptation. It was beautifully done and totally had me in tears a few times. Anne Hathaway's turn as Fantine was wonderful, especially her rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream", to me, that's how the song should be sung. However, I do think it's a shame that Samantha Barkes isn't getting as much praise, she was the perfect Eponine. And I was impressed with Eddie Redmayne's turn as Marius, to me it was scene stealing. I know Anne has been getting a lot of praise for her role but Eddie should be getting attention as well. Overall, I think considering how massive the story is they were able convey it well, and that it's a pleasing adaptation, hopefully other fans of the musical like it too!

Just saw it too and I agree with everything you said! Samantha was amaaaazing in the role - Anne was good too, but I always get the feeling like I can SEE her acting, which takes me out of the movie, while Samantha seemed to just embody the role.

Eddie Redmayne was a revelation, I think he has the potential to be really massive.

The movie dragged in the middle, but the second half, with the introduction of the younger characters, really picked up, as did the acting imo.

One thing, and I don't want to be a debbie downer, but Russell Crowe sucked as Javert. His singing ..... oh Lord, his singing Also, Hugh Jackman acted circles around him.

Last edited by vikingqueen; 26-12-2012 at 12:44 AM.

26-12-2012
front row

Bal/Honey (2010)

26-12-2012
V.I.P.

Django Unchained
So badass. Ugh, can't get over how gorgeous Kerry Washington is.

26-12-2012
windowshopping

Abre los Ojos by Alejandro Amenabar

26-12-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingqueen View Post
Just saw it too and I agree with everything you said! Samantha was amaaaazing in the role - Anne was good too, but I always get the feeling like I can SEE her acting, which takes me out of the movie, while Samantha seemed to just embody the role.

Eddie Redmayne was a revelation, I think he has the potential to be really massive.

The movie dragged in the middle, but the second half, with the introduction of the younger characters, really picked up, as did the acting imo.

One thing, and I don't want to be a debbie downer, but Russell Crowe sucked as Javert. His singing ..... oh Lord, his singing Also, Hugh Jackman acted circles around him.
Oohh...I agree with you about Russell Crowe. Acting wise, I thought he was fine, but his voice wasn't up to par with everyone else. I also thought Amanda's voice was "meh" but definitely not the worst or best of the lot, just so so. But she made a pretty Cosette. Also, I looked up the soundtrack after seeing the movie and they don't have every song on it! I found that to be really annoying, because they left out some major one's, like "Do You Hear the People Sing." I really think/hope that Eddie get's a nom, it seems to me (and my family) that he was a standout. Definitely a praiseworthy performance, I liked his take on "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables," it well done.

26-12-2012
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

First Position - ballet doc
Pitch Perfect
Young Adult (again)
Something Borrowed (again lol)

27-12-2012
backstage pass

Srpski film a very disturbing one

27-12-2012
V.I.P.

The Strangers - some affecting imagery and sound effects, but basically this is a very weak horror genre film with no narrative to speak of. I wanted to see Liv Tyler's performance so I watched it. She was fine, but there wasn't much for her to work with. Had there been a plot this might've been a good film. There was minimal back story on the victims and none on the strangers, which is appropriate in a way. But it just didn't work as a whole imo.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#8, movie