How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-02-2013
tfs star

Sympathy For Lady Vengeance.

17-02-2013
V.I.P.

Liberal Arts - I liked it. But then again, the subject matter speaks to me. And Elizabeth Olsen was good. It's a touching film, not earth shattering or anything, but thoughtful, solid performances and believable situations.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

17-02-2013
front row

Anna Karenina (2012) again
The Nanny Diaries (2012)

18-02-2013
scenester

Holy motors (2012)
and then by the same director, Leos Carax, his debut film Boy meets girl (1984)

18-02-2013
V.I.P.

Rosemary's Baby (1968) - Atheist or not, I've always found the occult fascinating.

18-02-2013
tfs star

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower.

18-02-2013
V.I.P.

Singin in the Rain - "All I do is Dream of You the whole Night through..." "Good morning Good morning..." "I'm Singing in the rain, just Singing in the rain..." - if this film doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will. It still stands up. And wow, if you watch this, well, The Artist suddenly seems rather derivative, though I know that's partly intended and very postmodern. But this film was self-reflexive enough in 1952!!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

19-02-2013
fashion insider

Butter (2012) - Jennifer Gardner is hilarious as crazy lady.

19-02-2013
backstage pass

Dear Jane: Now I think Gene Kelly is a swell guy and comes off always genuinely likable, but his movies make me cringe-- they're like The Wiggles for adults... So there you go-- can't make me smile to that tripe. I do love the song and dance number though-- that is legendary... and also because of its appearance in A Clockwork Orange.

19-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Dear Jane: Now I think Gene Kelly is a swell guy and comes off always genuinely likable, but his movies make me cringe-- they're like The Wiggles for adults... So there you go-- can't make me smile to that tripe. I do love the song and dance number though-- that is legendary... and also because of its appearance in A Clockwork Orange.
It is underwritten so well in A Clockwork Orange, for sure.

I just like how anti-Hollywood Singin in the Rain is, and how it's full of metacommentary, which in 1952 was ahead of its time.

But, to be honest, other than the musical numbers I've named, (and the hilarious vaudevillian one with Cosmo) some of them are cringe or eye-roll inducing (*especially "Beautiful Girl" - GAG! And I don't like "Gotta Dance" either - WAY tooooooo loooooooong). Still, one can't help smile at SOME of this film. Even if its only the iconic dance number in the rain. It's quite somethin!

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 19-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.

20-02-2013
backstage pass

^^^That's interesting about the anti-Hollywood vibe. I remember stumbling onto Imitations of Life and became completely engrossed in its less-than-bubbly and serious depiction of racism of the time. There were a lot of daring films that dealt with serious issues in the 1950s.

Cringe-worthy-- but still not without its charms, is how I would describe the musical numbers of the 50s. And nothing quite compares to Gene doing his thing in "Singin' in the Rain" (didn't know it was a cover of an song from 1929!).

Overall, musicals are just not my thing, but those 50s musicals are very interesting since they took vaudeville to a slick modern setting, complete with really inventive, groundbreaking cinematography and expensive production. When I think of film musicals, the ones from that era will always be the definition of the genre.

21-02-2013
trendsetter

King of Devil's Island (2010)

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

21-02-2013
you set the scene

Identity Thief-- not really that funny, but Melissa McCarthy is so ballsy and she & Jason Bateman had such a great connection; like 'good chemistry' in a platonic way. :p

22-02-2013
trendsetter

The Intouchables - I really liked it. It's pretty, simple and positive!

22-02-2013
V.I.P.

Blue Valentine - wow, this is so sad. The acting was tremendously good. But I honestly couldn't really understand Michelle William's character that well; I found her to be quite cold toward Ryan Gosling's character and I didn't really get why. Was it her past? I mean I know he drinks too much and he isn't ultra ambitious, but he was so sweet to her and he was so there for her all the time, and "their" little girl! Anyhow, I just wanted to hug him! I felt so sad for both of them, but I wish I knew more about what drove her character. With him, he was a pure romantic, totally devoted. With her, I don't know. Sad.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#8, movie