How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-02-2013
fashion insider

Amour - I definitely connected emotionally with this film. By about an hour in I was finding it quite difficult to watch. I think many people will find something in there that reminds them of an elderly relative that has gone through similar experiences. That makes it a very powerful and moving film.

The Queen of Versailles - You are ready to hate the billionaire family at the centre of this documentary but most of them are engaging and/or funny. Really enjoyed it.

The House I Live In - Examines America's War on Drugs and pretty much proves it's a failure. Some very interesting perspectives in the film from people like David Simon, creator of The Wire.

23-02-2013
backstage pass

Django unchained- it was good

23-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
Blue Valentine - wow, this is so sad. The acting was tremendously good. But I honestly couldn't really understand Michelle William's character that well; I found her to be quite cold toward Ryan Gosling's character and I didn't really get why. Was it her past? I mean I know he drinks too much and he isn't ultra ambitious, but he was so sweet to her and he was so there for her all the time, and "their" little girl! Anyhow, I just wanted to hug him! I felt so sad for both of them, but I wish I knew more about what drove her character. With him, he was a pure romantic, totally devoted. With her, I don't know. Sad.
It's been a while since I've seen the film (as amazing as it is, it's really not the kind of thing you can watch over and over again; It is rather painful to watch!) but if I recall, it's implied that her father beat her mother. She then repeated that pattern by seeking out loser boyfriends who treated her badly (including the guy who impregnated her). She then found a guy who loved her and wanted to raise the baby as his own. He has his faults as you say, but he's very devoted to them both. However, from her perspective he isn't a "real" man because he doesn't treat her in an abusive fashion: the same way her father treated her mother and her ex-boyfriends treated her. His faults (drinking, insecurity) feed into her feelings, and a bad situation is created.

Last edited by lostgirl; 23-02-2013 at 11:28 PM.

23-02-2013
V.I.P.

^ Yes, thanks! I was thinking it was her past, but I just couldn't figure out why, with his love/support, she couldn't move on. There is that scene in the "future room" during which Gosling's character says "you want me to hit you? Well I am not going to do that." And the next day things fall apart. Things like at the nurse's station, when Gosling's character comes into the hospital, and the other nurse says to William's character "don't let him brainwash you" made me think that maybe there was more between them that we just don't know. Anyhow it was good, but very painful and not something I am sure I'll watch again anytime soon.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

24-02-2013
tfs star

The Master
The Silver Linings Playbook
Anna Karenina

25-02-2013
V.I.P.

Amour - Full... just sooo very full of symbolisms. I'll need to re-watch several times, but it won't be an annoying task since the interpretations of it's delightful cast makes it really enjoyable to watch for all the ones who enjoy authentic independent cinema.

25-02-2013
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Anna Karenina

26-02-2013
V.I.P.

Zero Dark Thirty

Very exciting and these bombing sounds scared me. The opearation is very detailedm kinda reminds me of Counter Strike. It's worthy a watch. Best movie I've seen for awhile so far.

27-02-2013
fashion insider

Sweet Home Alabama (2002). Josh Lucas & Reese Witherspoon

28-02-2013
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Lawless

01-03-2013
backstage pass

Stoker

02-03-2013
fashion insider

Amphetamine (2010)

02-03-2013
xx

Flight (2012) kind of hard to watch which is what i expect but it was okay

02-03-2013
V.I.P.

Django Unchained (2012)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

I finally got to see these two films..well worth the wait.

03-03-2013
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

The Hangover

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#8, movie