How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-05-2013
backstage pass

Et soudain tout le monde me manque

06-05-2013
trendsetter

Blue Valentine (2010)

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

06-05-2013
front row

Afterschool

09-05-2013
Geometric Discharge

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Last time I saw this film I didn't rate it very much, but I enjoyed it a lot more this time, I'm not convinced by Audrey Hepburn until the end when she realises she isn't as free as she convinces herself to be. Perhaps I wasn't convinced by her because that was her character?

Cloud Atlas (2012)
Though it's like a hundred different story lines running alongside one another it was surprisingly easy to follow and I found some of the scenes very moving and memorable.

P.S. I'd like to say, this thread is the only place I come when I am looking to find film suggestions

09-05-2013
tfs star

Iron Man 3

09-05-2013
backstage pass

Iron Man 3 as well
I did not enjoyed it as much as people seemed to have enjoyed it...
I would not watch it twice

10-05-2013
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

10-05-2013
backstage pass

I don't know if this film has been mentioned, but...

The Place Beyond The Pines (2012)

Absolutely riveting. Raw, poignant, depressing, urgent, clever and most of all, gripping and entertaining. You don't have to "get" it-- it's just straightforward strong storytelling that isn't afraid to just tell a good story, with characters to care for; these are people who find a moment of happiness wherever they can. Completely lacking in pretension, but engrossing and complex in its story and characters: No one and nothing is idealized, or glamorized. It's not perfect as some plot points are just too convenient to move the story alone, but the strong outweigh the weak. And Eva Mendez is really, really good-- just the fact that her character is required to age 15 years, and looks it, is astounding.

14-05-2013
fashion insider

Full Circle (aka Haunting of Julia) (1977). A horror movie with Mia Farrow that I watched on Youtube.

15-05-2013
V.I.P.

Garden State (2004)

Hadn't seen this since it came out. I definitely enjoyed it more now that I'm older.

15-05-2013
V.I.P.

New Year's Eve (2011)

Watched it for the second time, it's OK, but Zac..words can't describe

16-05-2013
front row

Amour (2012)

Incredible movie! It touched me deep to my heart!

18-05-2013
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
I don't know if this film has been mentioned, but...

The Place Beyond The Pines (2012)

Absolutely riveting. Raw, poignant, depressing, urgent, clever and most of all, gripping and entertaining. You don't have to "get" it-- it's just straightforward strong storytelling that isn't afraid to just tell a good story, with characters to care for; these are people who find a moment of happiness wherever they can. Completely lacking in pretension, but engrossing and complex in its story and characters: No one and nothing is idealized, or glamorized. It's not perfect as some plot points are just too convenient to move the story alone, but the strong outweigh the weak. And Eva Mendez is really, really good-- just the fact that her character is required to age 15 years, and looks it, is astounding.
I've just come back from the theater after seeing The Place Beyond The Pines and holy smokes I agree with everything you've said. My sister and I agreed that it was a bit weird at times to watch because we would recognize some of the locations where it was shot and some of the people in the film. While I'm not from Schenectady I have a lot of ties to the area so it was interesting to see how they portrayed it. We also felt it was a bit of a "burner film" in that it's quite long and takes its time telling the story, rather then rushing and being like an hour and a half film. But I appreciated that aspect of the film. And the way the stories were woven together was wonderful. I really liked how it explored themes like fatherhood, corruption, and masculinity throughout the film. And the actor who played Ryan Gosling's son in the film, I swear to god, looks like a young Leonardo DiCaprio (and he gave a brilliant performance too).

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 18-05-2013 at 01:08 AM.

18-05-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissablekae View Post
Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
I love that film - so slick, so backstabbing. I watched it last weekend.

Picnic (1996)

19-05-2013
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Star Trek: Into Darkness

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#8, movie