How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-09-2013
V.I.P.

I finally saw The Bling Ring - it's definitely the darkest piece Sofia has done since The Virgin Suicides. I kept thinking of American Psycho when I was watching it; they both have that emphasis on the surface, and the emptiness that lies underneath.

I would have liked to know a little more back-story on the characters and see a little less of the robberies. However, this might not be the intent. On the one hand, if Sofia had focused on one of the characters and his/her life I think it would've made the film more easy to identify with for the average film viewer. But on the other hand, I don't think her objective is to have us identify with these characters.

I think she wants us to stand back and watch, kind of like the movie camera does when it captures that whole robbery at Orlando Bloom's from a distance, with sparkling LA in the background - the land of dreams. Or how the surveillance videos capture the kids. Or how their phones and Facebook pages record the highlights of their spoils.

Everything is mediated. Nothing is close.

Another film came to mind as well, for the same creepy, distant lack of emotion. That film is Safe by Todd Haynes. Both that film and this one have a "cult-like" element to them with a dire void at their centre.

Anyhow, this is a strong film in my opinion; it makes you think. It doesn't give any easy answers. It's not about story-telling or tying things neatly in a bow. It's not a character study either. This film holds a mirror to our culture and lets us look into it. It's not an easy thing to do, which is probably why a lot of people don't like it. It's discomfiting.

The Bling Ring is beautifully shot. It has a good soundtrack for the subject matter. It's thoughtful. All the actors do a good job playing empty, lonely, and/or desperate kids.

It made me sad... and also nervous for the future!!!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

19-09-2013
fashion icon

^Beautiful review of The Bling Ring, your thoughts on it sound like what I was hoping Sofia's film would be like. Sometimes it's important that a film isn't one sided but instead multifaceted and doesn't have clear answers. I'm hoping to watch The Bling Ring this weekend (if papers don't get in the way) so I can finally understand all the hype surrounding it.

22-09-2013
front row

The Bling Ring

22-09-2013
i'm almost ready..

NPJ i'm enjoying your film reviews! maybe it's time to revive our film lovers thread? i miss that.
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f51...100435-11.html

i saw The Past last night, by Asghar Farhadi. it was remarkable, i thought.

22-09-2013
V.I.P.

I forgot all about that thread! Great idea adorefaith; that's a better spot for the reviews.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

22-09-2013
i'm almost ready..

^sorry, I wasn't trying to redirect you! love the reviews wherever you choose to post them. reading them just made me think of how much i used to enjoy that thread... and i'd love to see it revived.

22-09-2013
V.I.P.

Leon: The Professional

23-09-2013
V.I.P.

Away We Go - such a sweet movie, really adorable. I highly recommend it. It has Sam Mendes' soft touch, and the cast is fantastic. Two scenes are hilarious too: the dinner scene with Maggie Gyllenhaal (OMG, has she ever been funnier!? ) and the dinner scene with Catherine O-Hara and Jeff Daniels.

It's a 2009 film so maybe a lot of people saw it back then, but I just stumbled across it on Netflix and I love it!!

P.S. adorefaith, I agree.

23-09-2013
V.I.P.

The Canyons (2013)

23-09-2013
i'm almost ready..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
Away We Go - such a sweet movie, really adorable. I highly recommend it. It has Sam Mendes' soft touch, and the cast is fantastic. Two scenes are hilarious too: the dinner scene with Maggie Gyllenhaal (OMG, has she ever been funnier!? ) and the dinner scene with Catherine O-Hara and Jeff Daniels.

It's a 2009 film so maybe a lot of people saw it back then, but I just stumbled across it on Netflix and I love it!!

P.S. adorefaith, I agree.
okay, that scene with maggie is one of the best in history! i can barely remember a time i have laughed that hard in a film, other than a few woody allen moments. absolutely classic.

24-09-2013
i'm almost ready..

Jeune & Jolie (Young & Beautiful). loved it.

25-09-2013
backstage pass

Superbad (2007)
2 Guns (2013)

didn't enjoy either of them... both weren't that bad but just didn't grab my attention and I got quite bored in the middle

26-09-2013
V.I.P.

Rabbit Hole - ah, beautiful. Achingly sad, but beautiful and true.

27-09-2013
tfs star

I know what you did last summer

(I finally know what they did )

27-09-2013
V.I.P.

Georgia Rule (2007)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#8, movie