How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

15-10-2013
backstage pass

Finally saw Only God Forgives.

Very pretentious. Ryan Gosling really should stop with the silent but pensive act now. It's becoming so tiresome, I've grown so very weary of him.

In fairness, lifting a feudal Japan/ Samurai's code of honor/ Yakuza culture concept and placing it in the seedy, underbelly of modern day Thailand seemed interesting enough and exciting, but the storytelling is so pretentious. Despite the interesting juxtaposition of classical mythology and gaudy, garish low-brow culture, and what is essentially a silent-film relying on symbolism and mood to carry its narrative-- which BTW, is so beautifully photographed and composed it looks more like a Sean Ellis editorial, or a John Register painting-- so there's that to savior. But as it stands-- it's so... pretentious, I can't take it seriously. It would work so much better had it taken the OTT, comicbook-come-to-life route. Or better still, it would be an instant favorite for me had it been a shamelessly decadent, indulgent high fashion film; wardrobed by Miuccia, Hedi, Haider and classic Galliano and styled by Karl Templer, Lori Goldstein, Olvier Rizzo, Panos...

This film is the equivalent of Raf Simons' Dior collections: some good-- even beautiful components, some interesting concepts that straddle the classical with the garish, but ultimately, as a whole, so overcooked and pretentious I can't take it seriously.

Then again, I thought Drive was overrated and don't remember most of it-- much the same way I feel about Raf's designs.

15-10-2013
V.I.P.

Ain't Them Bodies Saints

The Kings of Summer

16-10-2013
V.I.P.

The Sessions - the poetry...

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

16-10-2013
V.I.P.

Session 9 - Strange and creepy.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

17-10-2013
tfs star

The Kings of Summer

17-10-2013
backstage pass

Stoker and it was amazing!

19-10-2013
tfs star

Side Effects - really good movie. First movie of Rooney Mara that I saw, she's really beaufitul in it (slightly reminds me of Mischa Barton back in her OC days because of the shape of her face).

19-10-2013
backstage pass

Gravity, I thought I would get a heart attack

19-10-2013
tfs star

Gravity
Spring Breakers

20-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoadore View Post
Stoker and it was amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoadore View Post
Gravity, I thought I would get a heart attack
I've just watched Stoker last night (for the nth times, I've lost my counts) and Gravity a few days ago. Gravity was so amazing. I literally hyperventilated right after the last scene.

The scene when Ryan curled into a embryo position left me speechless. It was so beautiful and emblematic. Also the floating pen that appeared in many scenes reminds me of 2001: A Space Odyssey which also happens to me one of my favorites .

Last edited by reesewu; 20-10-2013 at 01:20 AM.

20-10-2013
fashion insider

Hocus Pocus

20-10-2013
V.I.P.

Parkland (2013)

20-10-2013
Automated Thread Manager

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags