How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-04-2013
clever ain't wise

I was so disappointed. It seems to have just lost its pace.

08-04-2013
V.I.P.

The actor that played Pete shaves his hairline for the part apparently.

I thought the episodes were boring as well. I am disliking Peggy these days. She seems bitchy and shrill (and i was dismayed by the actress that plays her remarks about her ex Fred Armison)

Power to the 99%

Glad to hear you guys weren't thrilled either ... I was considerably less than electrified, and experienced no doubt about my decision to stop watching TV

08-04-2013
V.I.P.

some of the death illusions feel very forced at this point. and i get it - peggy has become a don-like figure.

there are 12 more episodes this season. hopefully they are better than this one.

tfs star

Haven't watched it but guess I shouldn't expect too much hearing your comments. Too bad...

09-04-2013
backstage pass

Was a bit disappointed with the episode too. On the bright side, I don't feel like any season premiere has been particularly strong, so here's to hoping the upcoming episodes will deliver.

I'm really hoping to see more of Peggy, I feel like the dynamic between her and Don was always so interesting, but I like that she is still in contact with Stan, I've always been rooting for those two. Betty's story was pointless as usual and her prosthetics looked ridiculous. Also I'm so upset that (spoiler) Don is cheating again. But I guess a happy Don doesn't fit into the shows overarching theme of having everything and still being unhappy..

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by roisin View Post
Was a bit disappointed with the episode too. On the bright side, I don't feel like any season premiere has been particularly strong, so here's to hoping the upcoming episodes will deliver.

I'm really hoping to see more of Peggy, I feel like the dynamic between her and Don was always so interesting, but I like that she is still in contact with Stan, I've always been rooting for those two. Betty's story was pointless as usual and her prosthetics looked ridiculous. Also I'm so upset that (spoiler)..
what prosthetics?

I possibly liked her storyline the best ... I thought she really showed some balls. Don could totally use some therapy, but seeing how much it's helping Roger ...

10-04-2013
clever ain't wise

^She had them, but we can't talk about it. I guess the people writing the show don't like JJ very much

Anyway, I guess there were some nice parts, but I have to get over the bad aesthetics. I'm fairly sure there were people who managed to look stylish in the late 60s....I just hate how ill-fitting Roger's suit was. Ugh. I just don't like the turn of events here at all....the love/passion seems to be gone and now it's probably going toward cerebral or something.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 10-04-2013 at 05:34 AM.
10-04-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
what prosthetics?

I possibly liked her storyline the best ... I thought she really showed some balls. Don could totally use some therapy, but seeing how much it's helping Roger ...
yes, she's been wearing face and neck prosthetics to make her appear heavier than she is. Betty/January is quite a polarizing figure to Mad Men fans...some say she's a bad actress and that's why Betty is so wooden, other's say her behavior is a result of being an infantilized 50's housewife. I think it's a bit of both, but my main problem is that I just don't care about Betty and I think that's mostly down to JJ. It's also clear that the writers don't seem to put much stock into her character and her storylines, especially since the divorce, often seem sloppy and as if they were afterthoughts. She wasn't even a part of the show, the role itself was a bit of an afterthought, so that may be something to do with it. Maybe Matthew Weiner/the writers are regretting her very existence. The whole fascination she had this episode with the Sandy character was, for me, unfounded and a bit unsettling.

I also agree about the aesthetics!! They were one of the main things that I loved about the show, and I just am dreading the future of the show which will take place in the early 70's. The show just looks so different and I'm just not feeling it.

Last edited by roisin; 10-04-2013 at 09:16 AM.
10-04-2013
V.I.P.

I think the show dragged because it was a two hour special, they should have kept it the regular one hour episode... having said that, am I the only one who didn´t hate it?
For once, I wasn´t annoyed with Betty... at least she had more screen presence than maybe the entire last season, could be a sign that her stoyline is gonna be more interesting?
I love Roger´s story so far, I feel like Don and Roger are two sides of the same coin. Don keeps all his feelings to himself while Roger is all over the place with them, you know what I mean?
Jessica Pare looked more beautiful than ever! I wonder how Don will react to Megan´s increasing fame...
Sally looks so grown up, I wonder if writers will incorporate more teenage rebellion into her story... we had a glimpse of that last season, I hope they´ll take it further.
I loved Peggy´s bitchiness, I guess her role model is Don but I hope she´ll become her own person. I can´t wait to see what happens with her.

Overall, I liked it and can´t wait to see the next episode

10-04-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by roisin View Post
yes, she's been wearing face and neck prosthetics to make her appear heavier than she is. Betty/January is quite a polarizing figure to Mad Men fans...some say she's a bad actress and that's why Betty is so wooden, other's say her behavior is a result of being an infantilized 50's housewife. I think it's a bit of both, but my main problem is that I just don't care about Betty and I think that's mostly down to JJ. It's also clear that the writers don't seem to put much stock into her character and her storylines, especially since the divorce, often seem sloppy and as if they were afterthoughts. She wasn't even a part of the show, the role itself was a bit of an afterthought, so that may be something to do with it. Maybe Matthew Weiner/the writers are regretting her very existence. The whole fascination she had this episode with the Sandy character was, for me, unfounded and a bit unsettling.

I also agree about the aesthetics!! They were one of the main things that I loved about the show, and I just am dreading the future of the show which will take place in the early 70's. The show just looks so different and I'm just not feeling it.
Ummm ... you're telling me that if you had a minor child whom you know is motherless and unmoored and lying about what's going on in her life under your roof, and you know for a fact she has run away to a dangerous place, you would just say oh well, and go on with your day? To me her concern is completely founded. I don't know anything about the storyline, where the girl's father is, the other relatives ... but I certainly wouldn't have stopped at that--and she may not either. What I found most interesting is what she did with the violin--I found that a bit difficult to interpret at first.

10-04-2013
V.I.P.

^now that you mentioned Sandy... who is she? I couldn´t remember who she was during the entire episode :/
I thought it was funny that the girl´s 15 and she was smoking in front of Betty in that nonchalant way

10-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ seems to be a friend of Sally's ...

10-04-2013
V.I.P.

if betty had brought the violin home, people would have suspected something was up...

i think everyone used to smoke in those days.

Power to the 99%

^ Yes, I figured it was because of Sally that she left it.

There was an ashtray on the kitchen table ... I can't remember the last time I saw that Even a lot of pretty hard-core smokers only smoke outside now.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
mad, men