How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-07-2008
V.I.P.

^I actually think Don is trying to actually be a part of his family now. But now, I think Betty is going to be pulling away. I just hope they don't ruin her character because she was so endearing last season and I'd hate it if they just made her a cold, ruthless, slut or something like that. That's my only concern.

As for Peggy. Luxxx, you are right I think I do remember the implication that Peggy was away, so perhaps this means she didn't give up the baby afterall? Why would she need the time off if she didn't keep the baby? But again, the ending last season really made it clear that she wanted nothing to do with it.

01-08-2008
fashion insider

I think after the finale of season 1 Don has been trying to be a faithful family man but it seems like Betty and Don are even more emotionally disconnected from each other. Don seems to be making an effort to be closer to his family, while Betty seems to be pulling away. I think this is because Betty knows of Don's infidelities and doesn't love him in that really intense way she did at the beginning of season 1.

LUXXX, I think you are definitely on to something about Betty snapping this season. Her "bargaining" with the mechanic was a little unsettling.

V.I.P.

So it looks like Peggy gave the baby up to her sister but there is still something suspicious there. Her sister made some comments that suggested that Peggy may have had the baby taken from her or something strange, she said about the State of NY. I didn't catch it all...it's obvious she has no emotional connection to the child though.

As for Betty and Don, they are just completely at odds with each other.

05-08-2008
fashion insider

Wow! Flight 1 was truly a fantastic episode; one of Mad men's best, in my opinion. The focus on each character in the episode, whether big or small, revealed a lot, I thought.

Betty's and Don's relationship is really quite strained. Betty also seems very brittle; ready to snap at any moment but also quite hard. I think she lost some of the softness she had in the first season.

LUXXX, I also wasn't completely sure either what Peggy's older sister alluded to at the dinner table. It's evident that Peggy wants nothing to do with her son; she shows no affection towards him or even an interest in him, which was made very clear in the final scene in the church. I think the doctors at the hospital may have decided she wasn't (mentally/psychologically?) fit to take care of her child, even if she wanted to. Peggy was in a state of denial and shock at the hospital, perhaps she tried to harm herself or the baby? I'm probably completely wrong but I think Matt Weiner will reveal more about Peggy's situation as the season progresses.

fashion insider

I was thinking about what Peggy's sister said to her again and I remembered that it was more about Peggy's ability to take care of herself. I think the doctors probably suggested that Peggy wasn't able to take care of herself and should live with her family instead of with a roommate in the city. I think Peggy fiercely wants to retain her independence and reconnecting with her family again, mainly due to the birth of her baby, might make Peggy feel she's trapped and the like the innocent secretary from Bay Ridge instead of a modern career woman who work with the boys and not for them. My analyses and predictions are usually incorrect though. Let me know what you all think!

V.I.P.

Yeah, that whole being away from work thing may have been Peggy in some type of sanitarium getting help or something of that nature. It's also possible that the doctors refused to let her adopt out the child, they probably got her family involved and since they are so Catholic they didn't allow it.

The thing about Betty & Don is that Don knows that Betty knows he had affairs...they just never talked about it. The psychiatrist told Don all of Betty's thoughts on it and he changed into more of a family man but it came at a cost. It sort of deflated him and in turn seems to be making Betty more pissed. When she was talking about Francine's marriage I think it was more about herself.

07-08-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXXX View Post
The thing about Betty & Don is that Don knows that Betty knows he had affairs...they just never talked about it. The psychiatrist told Don all of Betty's thoughts on it and he changed into more of a family man but it came at a cost. It sort of deflated him and in turn seems to be making Betty more pissed. When she was talking about Francine's marriage I think it was more about herself.
I didn't think of that when I first watched the episode but I think you are spot on. Betty and Don really have problems communicating so I guess that was betty's indirect way of saying "you should be so lucky to be with a woman like me" and I guess venting her frustration that they look like the perfect couple on paper but in reality they have a far from healthy and happy relationship.

Speaking of Carlton, that man is truly vile. When he started talking about the teenage babysitter and high school girls in their uniform

I'm really looking forward to Pete's story this season. I really thought Pete had some scruples but I guess after Don dismissed him in the office her decided to cross over to Duck's side.

V.I.P.

Betty is on a verge of a breakdown and i feel for her soo much, it must have been so hard for women like her in that time.You know the scene where she tallks to the little boy and asks him to tell her everything is going to be alright?That was soo messed up and yet touching.

The last episode was nuts,he cheated again ugh, and i thought he was doing so good.

About Peggy?In that scene she said something like;I am capable of making my own decision's and her sister replied;"Not according to the state of New York and doctor's".Which implies she was not seen fit to raise her own kid, also in the last episode when they showed that TV show dealing with pregnancy and abortion she seemed upset.

I love that Joan is Don's new temporary secretary, hahah.

I'm obsessed with this show.

12-08-2008
the crying of humanity

The new season seems to be getting off to a slow start - so far, few scenes and stories have really caught my eye. I agree that Betty's mental health is slowly going downhill, but there's good reason for that - her relationship with Don is absolutely emotionless.

I'm curious as to why Peggy isn't getting much airtime this season. She had, what, less than three lines in the last episode? I always thought she was one of the main characters. I know they're trying to focus on the supporting characters, but they need to balance the stories out better.

Anyway, hopefully the upcoming episodes will change my opinion. I'm disappointed - this is one of my favorite shows, and last season was just so flawless compared to this.

V.I.P.

I think these first initial eps are just establishing something...and it looks like this week things start rolling. Something happens with Betty, the next episode seems to focus on her going by the previews...

I'm glad they are including her more rather than Peggy to be honest, I find Betty more interesting as a character because she is much more unpredictable.

19-08-2008
V.I.P.

What did you guys think of the last episode and Don pushing Betty?I didnt like that at all, and although i understand Betty's frustration over how she is the only one who rasies children and wants him to take his share, it seems to me like she is always very hostile towards their son.

19-08-2008
V.I.P.

I think Betty needs to chill with the little boy, she should just talk to him. It's like so hard for her to connect with her children, same with Don. They practically have to forced into the worst situation, like being violent with each other, before they open up with the kids and one another.

I also thought there was some weird sexual tension with that priest and Peggy. In fact all the women seemed to be coming on to the priest but he seemed to be sending some signals to Peggy. That would be a scandalous storyline.

Oh and Sally Draper stole the episode, she is hilarious!

19-08-2008
V.I.P.

^^OMG TOTALLY, thank lord (no pun intended) i was not the only one who saw sexual tension between Peggy and the priest. Dont think they were all coming on to him though, it was more like a attention thing, so when he showed most interest in Peggy her sister got pissed and went to confession and blasted Peggy which was soo low and childish, but i guess she is starved for attention aswell, seeing a little glimpse of her husband,lol.

Betty and Don are the most repressed people ever, they cant tallk to each other honestly without beforehand having a fight, i actually see that behaviour in some of my girlfriends relationships, and its scary.

Hahha lol she totally did, when she said to Joan something like, you have big ones i laughed out loud.

25-08-2008
V.I.P.

I LOVED the scenes last night between Peggy & Bobbie, actually Bobbie became much more likable hanging out with Peggy in that apartment. There was something genuine about her, especially at the end giving advice to Peggy.

Now onto Peggy's institution flashbacks...I noticed at one point her sister was pregnant which raises some questions: For instance, maybe Peggy did give her baby up for adoption and that baby that keeps popping up is Anita's, but because Peggy was also to have a boy the same age he is there to torture her in some way? Or Anita lost her child and Peggy gave her son with Pete to Anita?

Don was really cold in this ep, that hospital scene was so sad with Peggy. He basically gave her the same advice he must've given himself when he transformed into Don Draper. That's why she has become so detached but in the end when she called him Don she seemed to understand everything much more clearly.

28-08-2008
V.I.P.

ohnotheydidnt

NYLON TV issue...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
mad, men