How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2013
V.I.P.

Whoa!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

06-01-2013
tfs star

Perfume: Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. It's such an engaging, enticing book, but the subject matter... Whoa. Okay, without giving too much away, it's about this young French orphan who has an acute sense of smell but no scent himself. Thus, he decides to become a perfumier and goes about making for himself a perfume by killing virgins and stealing their scent. If you think the premise is creepy, wait til you get to the climax and conclusion. The film by Tom Tykwer is not that great, but I still liked it. And on the upside it was this film that first introduced me to the lovely and adorkable Ben Whishaw, which was a plus.

The Turn of the Screw has already been mentioned. I couldn't even finish the story and it's not even that long. I watched the 2009 (BBC?) film version with Matthew and Mary (also known as Dan Stevens and Michelle Dockery) and I was still sufficiently creeped out.

Last edited by chickadee; 06-01-2013 at 07:38 PM.

06-01-2013
V.I.P.

The ending of the book Perfume is so surreal!! But yeah, the movie just couldn't capture in words some of what Suskind wrote. Still, like you, I enjoyed the adaptation anyhow.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
18-01-2013
tfs star

I saw the movie Tideland some time ago and it really freaked me out. The whole atmosphere was so surreal and after the movie I felt so weird. Probably can't be compared to most of the movies mentioned here, but still a distressing experience (at least for me). On the other hand I still think it's a good movie.

I used to watch Nip/Tuck back in 2004, I was around 14 at the time and it always made me feel awful, maybe it was the subject matter of plastic surgery and how the characters seemed so sterile and indifferent. Wouldn't recommend it to very sensitive people.

fierce.

Guys please, it can't get more disturbing than Pasolini's Salò o le 120 giornate di sodoma! It has absolutely everything in it, methods of torture that I can't even explain.

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPedro View Post
Guys please, it can't get more disturbing than Pasolini's Salò o le 120 giornate di sodoma! It has absolutely everything in it, methods of torture that I can't even explain.
totally agree, i even wrote a review about it a page back & some people mistook it as me suggesting it but i was actuality warning against seeing it

28-06-2013
V.I.P.

Has anyone seen The Snowtown Murders? Just curious about your thoughts on it, if you have. I saw it on Netflix and so I read some reviews, but they kind of freaked me out so I didn't watch the film - wasn't in the mood after reading what people had to say. It sounds sort of like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

09-07-2013
scenester

How about disturbing music...

10-07-2013
V.I.P.

I recently watched a Spanish film called Sleep Tight that was fairly unsettling. No gore, very little blood or anything like that but the idea of someone being so violated and not even realizing it disturbed me (as I think, it was intended to).

12-07-2013
fashion elite

Pink Flamingos, funny but it took me three days to finish it.
Forbidden Zone

12-07-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPedro View Post
I'm guessing maybe Marquis de Sade's book that inspired the film, 120 journées de Sodome, would be as disturbing... maybe more...

JT Leroy's books are pretty disturbing as well.

15-07-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricciao View Post
Pink Flamingos, funny but it took me three days to finish it.
couldnt even finish it.

15-07-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I wouldn't call many of the movies listed here and that I have watched 'disturbing' but Dogtooth definitely takes the title in recent memory, and by far. Mostly because it's so unexpected, at least to me, I had no idea what I was getting into. I'm not sure aggressiveness or violence will ever truly disturb me the way subtle (so to speak) wackiness does.
i tried watching it probably when I first posted about it, but I had to press stop it was too much for me and I found myself getting lightheaded from the uncertainty which has never happened before.

Kill List is still on my list for disturbing films, it has to be on of the top for disturbing films I have sat all the way through and only because once it all starts happening, its literally like a rollercoaster of events. I believe it is on Netflix and I would recommend it to everyone

10-01-2014
V.I.P.

Salo grossed me out in many different ways, but mainly after reading half of the victim actors were around 14-18 yo. Not wonder why most of them never appeared in a movie again.

12-01-2014
V.I.P.

Anything by the queen of all, Andrea Dworkin

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
disturbing, movies or tv, shows or books