How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-04-2011
windowshopping

I thought Black Swan was more irresponsible than disturbing especially the lesbo scene and the ending

01-04-2011
V.I.P.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

It will destroy you.

don't read youtube comments though - there are spoilers.

Nuit et Brouillard

film is up on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8qTFuMcDLs)

The War Zone

the trailer:

Mysterious Skin

Eden Lake

Capturing the Friedmans

all pics from impawards.com

Last edited by *Bianca*; 01-04-2011 at 03:57 PM.
01-04-2011
V.I.P.

I saw a french film called Irreversible recently and it was extremely disturbing.
I will never watch it again.

01-04-2011
windowshopping

Yeah, Irreversible went TOO far. It's like the guy had a sadistic pleasure when doing those scenes. Especially the most infamous one. ehck!

01-04-2011
tfs star

Last year I saw a documentary on HBO called Death on a Factory Farm. It's about an animal right's activist that went undercover to this factory that breeds pigs for food. It was absolutely horrific the conditions these pigs were living in and the disturbing part was how the people who were working there were treating the animals. They would take the piglets and basically smash them against a wall and the worst was when they took this full grown pig and wrapped a metal chain around it's neck and then attach the chain to a bobcat machine. The pig was hanging from it and choking until it died 45 minutes later. And the people were just standing there laughing and watching it like it was a big joke.

01-04-2011
V.I.P.

^I wouldn't be able to watch something like that. I purposefully avoid documentaries about animals. I can't take it. I love them too much. I've heard a few details about what happens in the documentary, The Cove, and I've seen a few brief flashes (before I could change the channel or cover my eyes), so I know that I will never have enough guts to watch it. Never.

I also just watched The Human Centipede on Netflix and that was really disturbing.

Last edited by sobriquet87; 01-04-2011 at 11:19 PM.
02-04-2011
oh! darling

Human Centipede is f*cked up.

I don't find Requiem For a Dream all that bad. It's actually one of my MOST favorite movies. Very well done and intense. HIGHLY recommended. It's just the end scenes that'll get you queasy...ish.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I don't actually expose myself to things that I know will haunt me (like a lot of the animal cruelty/killing type films that have been mentioned in this thread), but from my memories the most chilling film that I ever saw was Lord Of The Flies. I remember that film messed me up for days afterwards. (I saw it in my early teens) As for books, I had to stop reading American Psycho halfway through because it was making me feel sick.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet87 View Post
^I wouldn't be able to watch something like that. I purposefully avoid documentaries about animals. I can't take it. I love them too much. I've heard a few details about what happens in the documentary, The Cove, and I've seen a few brief flashes (before I could change the channel or cover my eyes), so I know that I will never have enough guts to watch it. Never.

I also just watched The Human Centipede on Netflix and that was really disturbing.
I tend to avoid them too but I was so shocked at what I was watching that I wanted to see these people get in trouble which they did. I love animals dearly too and it's heartbreaking to see the abuse that they go through. I have also seen a few clips of The Cove but I don't know if I can watch it

02-04-2011
V.I.P.

schindler's list is really scary movie
any movie related to the Nazi killings or any book about Hitler is pretty much messed up
also, don't laugh, but the war of the roses is scary.... cos its everyday situation, just proves that you don't need wars, lack of food, natural disasters, or twisted situation or people to loose it....
there are many south american movies (i cannot tell titles on english, i don't know them) that are disturbing in a social way - i saw some from Argentina and Brazil as i recall

as for requiem for a dream - well its freaky but i wasn't disturbed. its made to be popular so it cannot be really edgy or sth like that

did anyone find Pi to be freakish?

02-04-2011
front row

For films: anything by Larry Clark, Harmony Korine, etc.
Hunger by Steve McQueen I found to be quite disturbing as well..

For books: The Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille - kids having sex with weird fetishes. And possibly Invisible Monsters by Chuck Pahlaniuk & most books by Bret Easton Ellis.

Tv shows: I've never really watched Dexter but the idea of it has always sort of disturbed me - specially when so many people root for him, I don't care if he's killing only bad people, the idea that he takes joy in murdering is just disturbing.

02-04-2011
backstage pass

Eden Lake from *Bianca*'s list. I had successfully repressed memory of watching that move. It's really disturbing, mostly because it's teenagers doing it all and things like that happen in real life all over the world. It's a sick movie, but I'd still recommend to watch it.

V.I.P.

I love Dexter. It's one of my favorite shows. It's not that disturbing.
TV shows like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad or even True Blood disturb me a lot more.
Dexter only kills bad people, so once you hear/see the terrible things these guys/gals have done...you want someone to kill them.

Books:
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson...there are a lot of very violent acts involved in that series, especially book 1.
There's a very descriptive rape scene that is extremely disturbing.
Night by Elie Wiesel...it's just so sad.
Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson...there are few moments in this book that disturbed me.
It's a good book, but the narrator and the people he interacts with are f**ked up!
Sophie's Choice by William Styron...for obvious reasons. I couldn't even imagine having to do that.
Beloved by Toni Morrison...it's such a disturbing and difficult book to read.

Last edited by sobriquet87; 02-04-2011 at 03:54 PM.
02-04-2011
backstage pass

I haven't seen it and the description doesn't make me want to watch it, but from what I've heard "I Spit on Your Grave" must be a really disturbing movie.

Oh and "A Clockwork Orange" is kinda freaky too.

Last edited by oh me; 02-04-2011 at 05:02 PM.
03-04-2011
windowshopping

I agree about anything by Larry Clark. What a perv!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
disturbing, movies or tv, shows or books