How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-11-2011
V.I.P.

I watched Mysterious Skin, and I wouldn't call it disturbing but more heartbreaking. Geez the ending scene just makes you feel so bad. That movie was so good though

04-11-2011
backstage pass

The most disturbing movie I've seen so far was the French Martyrs. The plot twists and turns and it's everything from creepy, paranormal, unsettling and violent and the ending just blew me away and tore me apart. It's one of my favorites, it's just amazing.

wikipedia

05-11-2011
front row

watched we need to talk about kevin yesterday, found it really unsettling. the actors playing kevin were all amazing!

06-11-2011
tfs star

Eyes Without A Face

06-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout01 View Post
Eyes Without A Face
Definitely disturbing, yes. But I also found it oddly beautiful and poetic.

07-11-2011
tfs star

^ It's certainly a movie that you'll never forget. And the same with The Magic Toyshop which is a brilliant book, even though most of the people in my class at uni found it disturbing.

14-11-2011
V.I.P.

okay so Antichrist has taken the cake for disturbing movies... i have never gotten up from a movie and been afraid to do something little as to pee (people who have seen this know why) the movie left me confused, disgusted, and mentally damaged no, but seriously those last 30 minutes were bizarre. I will admit the camera angles and lighting were magnificent

15-11-2011
V.I.P.

Human Centipede 2...curiosity and some persuasive friends made me watch it. I got about 20 minutes into it and learned what I already knew: it's one of the most disgusting/disturbing/horrific/pointless movies ever made.

15-11-2011
V.I.P.

I agree with a lot of movie titles being named here. Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark, Dogtooth are all definitely disturbing. I avoid genre-horror movies, as a I see nothing appealing or enjoyable in that. I also don't typically find violence in movies to be that disturbing, mostly because it's usually presented in such a cartoonish way that I can't take it seriously. What I find most disturbing are movies that sort of catch me off-guard. Whether they be movies that I hadn't realize were so dark or movies that are able to build up the tension and present the depraved acts in very 'real' way.

I watched Oldboy the other day and it's the most disturbing thing I've seen in a long time. Talk about being caught off-guard, lol, I had no idea what it was about. I thought it was going to be your typical, sleek, action thriller. Oh boy was I wrong. With that said, while it left me speechless and disgusted at first, upon further analysis, I can't deny the movie's brilliance.

backstage pass

I have Oldboy and I still haven't watched it. Maybe I should tomorrow. My boyfriend wants to see Dogtooth but I don't know, there's just something really weird about it lol.

21-09-2012
V.I.P.

I read The Collector by John Fowles this summer, and it really haunted me; the two different points of view make you see this story differently than you might if it was told from just one perspective. Seeing from both the collector's and the victim's eyes confuses the reader, I think, to some extent, and just gives you that kind of nauseous feeling. It's a really sad and creepy book.

Just this week I watched Never Let Me Go, and the premise of the film (of course it was a famous novel first) is horrific. In the film itself, when it gets towards the last third of the plot, there are also some very "arresting" images that have been stuck in my head. Very, very bleak film. Again, so sad & also existentially horrifying.

These aren't disturbing works for their violence or gore or even weirdness, but more for the uneasy feelings they left me with, specifically about humanity.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 21-09-2012 at 06:25 PM.

21-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
I read The Collector by John Fowles this summer, and it really haunted me; the two different points of view make you see this story differently than you might if it was told from just one perspective. Seeing from both the collector's and the victim's eyes confuses the reader, I think, to some extent, and just gives you that kind of nauseous feeling. It's a really sad and creepy book.
Have you seen the film version of The Collector? Personally I liked it a lot, but fans of the book tend to have a mixed reaction. Director William Wyler definitely made it more of a genre thriller than the book was (you can clearly see how it inspired works like Misery and Silence of the Lambs!), but I think that it maintained some interesting dynamics between captor and captive. I also thought that the central performances from Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggers were very strong. You may hate it, because it has a different tone than the book. But I found it disturbing as well, in a different way.

22-09-2012
backstage pass

Has anyone watched Womb with Eva Green? It's the most disturbing movie I've ever watched.

22-09-2012
front row

One Ill never forget is Lilja 4-ever. I couldnt stop thinking about it for a long time.

22-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl View Post
Have you seen the film version of The Collector? Personally I liked it a lot, but fans of the book tend to have a mixed reaction. Director William Wyler definitely made it more of a genre thriller than the book was (you can clearly see how it inspired works like Misery and Silence of the Lambs!), but I think that it maintained some interesting dynamics between captor and captive. I also thought that the central performances from Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggers were very strong. You may hate it, because it has a different tone than the book. But I found it disturbing as well, in a different way.
I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to. At least two good friends, who both recommended the book, have said the film adaptation is great, and I trust their judgement. It's on my list. But I want to be in a really good mood, if you know what I mean.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
disturbing, movies or tv, shows or books