How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-01-2013
V.I.P.

I think this is the first year in over ten years now that I've not done a proper prediction ballot for the Oscars. Though I still follow the races, I'm not nearly as invested or involved as I used to be.

To answer a couple questions that were raised a few posts back, it is pretty rare for a film that was panned by critics to be nominated in any of the major categories. Sean Penn for I Am Sam is usually the example given for this, and there may have been one or two more in the last 15 years that I can't think of at the moment. Of course Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close made a Picture lineup (of 9) with generally poor reviews. With that said, I'm not so confident Nicole can make it with The Paperboy. Unlike the other two movies I mentioned, this is the type of movie that Academy usually likes to stay away from. But what works in her favor is that she doesn't have much of a competition: Maggie Smith (hasn't shown up anywhere aside from SAG), Judi Dench (Academy has never nominated an actor from a Bond film), Ann Dowd (only showed up at BFCA). I hope Nicole misses (because I don't like her, lol), but it's hard to tell.

As far as someone getting back-to-back nominations, that is pretty common. In fact, I think most years, there's at least one person who was nominated the year before. In the last 15 years we've had: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Cate Blanchett, Penelope Cruz, Russell Crowe, Johnny Depp, Jeff Bridges, Colin Firth, Meryl Streep (twice), Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger, Judi Dench (thrice), Michelle Williams, Robert Duvall, Jeremy Renner.

Tomorrow, I want to see Beasts of the Southern Wild in a few categories, namely, Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actress and Supporting Actor. It's really underperformed this whole season and there is no way it's getting in all of those categories, but I hope it can show up in at least a couple.

I'd also like to see Jason Clarke(!!!) and/or Jennifer Ehle to show up in Supporting categories for Zero Dark Thirty.

Would be extatic if Amour can score in lead acting categories (Actor and Actress), Picture, Director, Screenplay and Foreign.

Hope we won't be seeing Nicole Kidman (again, I know), Tommy Lee Jones, Leo DiCaprio or Denzel Washington anywhere on the nomination list, alas that's very unlikely.

09-01-2013
I don't know

I love Naomi Watts but I hope she isn't nominated (or at least doesn't win) for The Impossible. There were some impressive scenes but half the movie was just her screaming in pain combined with some very graphic images. She played a tortured person far better in Funny Games and has put in stronger performances in the past. Of course it's nice that she's finally being recognized the way she deserves but I hate that it's for this performance.

Not to mention the film itself being very problematic in how it chose to approach this theme/event. Though the cinematography was quite stunning.

09-01-2013
V.I.P.

^ I've read on a couple of movie blogs that if Naomi gets the Oscar it will be for her work more than this role. They didn't say she wasn't good in The Impossible but I understand what they mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Would be extatic if Amour can score in lead acting categories (Actor and Actress), Picture, Director, Screenplay and Foreign.

Hope we won't be seeing Nicole Kidman (again, I know), Tommy Lee Jones, Leo DiCaprio or Denzel Washington anywhere on the nomination list, alas that's very unlikely.
Yes I hope Amour gets Oscar nods too. Glad to see it included in the BAFTA noms. Much deserved.

I agree with you. Nicole as much as I love her won't get an Oscar nom same goes for Denzel. I wouldn't be surprised if Leo is left out but Tommy Lee Jones will probably get one.

Re BATFA noms.

So disappointed they overlooked John Hawkes. I really can't believe it.

Very surprised about Helen Mirren for Hitchcock and Ben in Argo for Acting.

Very Happy that the 3 leads of The Master haven't been overlooked.

I kind of hope there are some surprises but not stupid upsets like last year at the Oscars.

10-01-2013
V.I.P.

Django Unchained, Perks of Being A Wallflower, Moonrise Kingdom, Skyfall, and Argo are the BEST movies I saw last year. I'm sure there are some great ones that I still need to see such as Zero Dark Thirty, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Flight, and Lincoln. But of the ones I did see last year, I'm rooting for the ones I listed. I'll give an honorable mention to The Dark Knight Rises. I think it was exceptional, but it unfortunately got overshadowed by that shooting tragedy. Also, I think the fact that it's a blockbuster will screw it over. The indies have ruled the past couple of seasons.

Oh and I'm SO disappointed that Jamie Foxx isn't getting any recognition for his performance in Django. Such bullsh*t!!

Last edited by sobriquet87; 10-01-2013 at 02:15 AM.
10-01-2013
Mr. Magic

OSCARS 2012 (Source: nymag.com)

Best Supporting Actor
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Alan Arkin, Argo
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

Best Supporting Actress
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Amy Adams, The Master

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Denzel Washington, Flight
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master

Best Actress
Naomi Watts, The Impossible
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Original Song
"Before My Time," Chasing Ice
"Pi’s Lullaby," Life of Pi
"Suddenly," Les Miserables
"Everybody Needs A Best Friend," Ted
"Skyfall," Skyfall

Best Animated Feature Film
Frankenweenie
Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph
Paranorman
Brave

Best Foreign Language Film
Austria: Amour
Chile: No
Canada: War Witch
Denmark: A Royal Affair
Norway: Kontiki

Best Director
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Michael Haneke, Amour
Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Original Screenplay
John Gatins, Flight
Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained
Michael Haneke, Amour
Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom

Best Adapted Screenplay
Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Chris Terrio, Argo
Tony Kushner, Lincoln
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
David Magee, Life of Pi

Best Picture
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Lincoln
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Amour
Django Unchained
Argo

Best Cinematography
Seamus McGarvey, Anna Karenina
Robert Richardson, Django Unchained
Claudio Miranda, Life of Pi
Janusz Kaminski, Lincoln
Roger Deakins, Skyfall

Best Costume Design
Jacqueline Durran, Anna Karenina
Paco Delgado, Les Misérables
Joanna Johnston, Lincoln
Eiko Ishioka, Mirror Mirror
Colleen Atwood, Snow White and the Huntsman

Documentary Feature
5 Broken Cameras

The Gatekeepers,
How to Survive a Plague
The Invisible War
Searching for Sugar Man

Documentary Short
"Inocente," Sean Fine and Andrea Nix Fine
"Kings Point," Sari Gilman and Jedd Wider
"Mondays at Racine," Cynthia Wade and Robin Honan
"Open Heart," Kief Davidson and Cori Shepherd Stern
"Redemption," Jon Alpert and Matthew O'Neill

Film Editing
William Goldenberg, Argo
Tim Squyres, Life of Pi
Michael Kahn, Lincoln
Jay Cassidy and Crispin Struthers, Silver Linings Playbook
Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg, Zero Dark Thirty

Makeup and Hairstyling
Howard Berger, Peter Montagna and Martin Samuel, Hitcock
Peter Swords King, Rick Findlater and Tami Lane, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell, Les Miserables

Best Original Score
Dario Marianelli, Anna Karenina
Alexandre Desplat, Argo
Mychael Danna, Life of Pi
John Williams, Lincoln
Thomas Newman, Skyfall

Best Production Design
Sarah Greenwood and Katie Spencer, Anna Karenina
Dan Hennah, Ra Vincent and Simon Bright, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Eve Stewart and Anna Lynch-Robinson, Les Miserables
David Gropman and Anna Pinnock, Life of Pi
Rick Carter and Jim Erickson, Lincoln

Best Animated Short
"Adam and Dog," Minkyu Lee
"Fresh Guacamole," PES
"Head over Heels," Timothy Reckart and Fodhla Cronin O’Reilly
"Maggie Simpson in 'The Longest Daycare,'" David Silverman
"Paperman," John Kahrs

Best Live Action Short
"Asad," Bryan Buckley and Mino Jarjoura
"Buzkashi Boys," Sam French and Ariel Nasr
"Curfew," Shawn Christensen
"Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)," Tom Van Avermaet and Ellen De Waele
"Henry," Yan England

Best Sound Editing
Erik Aadahl and Ethan Van der Ryn, Argo
Unchained Wylie Stateman, Django Unchained
Eugene Gearty and Philip Stockton, Life of Pi
Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers, Skyfall
Paul N.J. Ottosson, Zero Dark Thirty

Best Sound Mixing
John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Jose Antonio Garcia, Argo
Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson and Simon Hayes, Les Misérables
Ron Bartlett, D.M. Hemphill and Drew Kunin, Life of Pi
Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Ronald Judkins, Lincoln
Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell and Stuart Wilson, Skyfall

Best Visual Effects
Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott, Life of Pi
Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams and Dan Sudick, Marvel’s The Avengers
Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley and Martin Hill, Prometheus
Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, Philip Brennan, Neil Corbould and Michael Dawson, Snow White and the Huntsman

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

Last edited by Flashbang; 10-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.
10-01-2013
I don't know

So HAPPY that Joaquin and Quvenzhané got in. All in all, some misses (as always) but extremely pleased with some of the additions..

Most of all, I'm pleasantly surprised with the Best Director nominations, especially the Zeitlin recognition. Would have loved to have seen Bigelow in but happy that Affleck and that piece of sh*t Hooper were left out.

10-01-2013
fashion icon

I'm really pleased with quite a few of the nominations (especially in the best actress category... it's a good list of women). But disappointed in other categories. I'm actually a bit stunned that Kathryn Bigelow didn't get another nomination, I've herd so many great things about her newest film (haven't had the chance to see it yet) and I was hoping that she'd get another chance to win. Sadly, it seems that not much has changed since her historic win a few years ago, the Academy is still a "boys club" in many ways. And I love that The Invisible War got nominated for Best Documentary, it's really great and informative (and currently on netflix for viewing). Plus, with the release of this film they've been able to set up hearings in government offices and started try and make some much needed changes in the way that military treats sexual assault cases. Which just goes to show that films can make a difference! For the most part I'm looking forward to watching this years show, hopefully it's a good one!

V.I.P.

^ I'm no Tom Hopper stan BUT if anyone deserves to be called a piece of sh*t its David O Russell who is well documented on the internet of being an a*shole on his films. Tom Hopper has never had anything but praise from her cast and crew.

10-01-2013
V.I.P.

Happy for Amour and Beasts. David O. Russell's direction was very uninspiring (though I did enjoy the hell out of that film), but at least they nominated Zeitlin and Haneke.

Jacki Weaver's nomination is the worst. Absolute worst. Even worse than Ruby Dee.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I'm actually a bit stunned that Kathryn Bigelow didn't get another nomination, I've herd so many great things about her newest film (haven't had the chance to see it yet) and I was hoping that she'd get another chance to win. Sadly, it seems that not much has changed since her historic win a few years ago, the Academy is still a "boys club" in many ways.
UGH, I really wish people wouldn't fall back on these arguments every time something doesn't go their way. Zero Dark Thirty is a stunning achievement, my favorite film of the year (thus far). I was really expecting (as were most) Kathryn to show up in Best Director. However, as disappointing as the snub is, she's not the only one who was snubbed after having been one of the frontrunners all season. Ben Affleck is in the same boat - great movie, well reviewed, made good money at the box office, showed up in all the right precursor awards and then BAM, he's not nominated. If anything, I'm even more sad for him, because he's turning out to be a great director and would've been nice for him to break through in that field. Similar arguments could be made for Quentin Tarantino and Tom Hooper, both of whom were also serious contenders for nominations (at least were thought to be more likely than either Haneke or Zeitlin).

If anything, Bigelow (and probably Hooper, to a lesser extent) suffered from having won Picture/Director with their immediately previous film. For some strange reasons, it is VERY difficult for a director to get nominated again for his/her next film after having won those two categories for his previous one. But the Director category turned out to be really strange all around. Only two DGA nominees ended up with Oscar nominations. Only Spielberg and Lee, of the frontrunners, showed up. The other three had very little support from other award bodies.

As for the nominations, I'm most happy about Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild. Both were such great surprises and both did very well. I just wish that the actors from both had gotten nominated (Actor and Supporting Actor, respectively). Sad for Affleck. This was his year and he thought to be a frontrunner to actually win just yesterday with all the BAFTA nominations. YAY that DiCaprio and Kidman missed out.

Another huge surprise: Silver Lining's Playbook. I'm calling it now, it wins Best Picture. My No Guts, No Glory call.

V.I.P.

I´d like to watch all the movies nominated, anyone has a reliable link to watch them online or download?

10-01-2013
V.I.P.

I use 1channel but it doesn't have the greatest quality.

I liked this year's nominations, full of surprises. I'm kinda sad that Tarantino wasn't nominated, since he's a favourite of mine.

10-01-2013
I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Label Basher View Post
^ I'm no Tom Hopper stan BUT if anyone deserves to be called a piece of sh*t its David O Russell who is well documented on the internet of being an a*shole on his films. Tom Hopper has never had anything but praise from her cast and crew.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree on David O Russell, I find his directing so uninspired and he is proven to be one of the biggest as*holes in the industry. I wish he wasn't in the lineup but they seem to be going hard on Silver Linings Playbook so that got him in. Bigelow should have gotten his nomination.

as for piece of sh*t regarding Hopper I was referring to his directing style, not his persona. Don't know much about him other than what I've seen of his work..

Last edited by saann; 10-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.
10-01-2013
V.I.P.

^ Fair enough Saann. I loved The Kings Speech but his win that year didn't really effect me.

My views -

Best Picture - I'm fine with all of these. As there are only 9 instead of 10 it would have been cool if Moonrise Kingdom has been included or The Master. It would be wonderful if Amour won. I'm sure it will get Foreign Language.

Best Director - I still haven't seen Argo yet. I missed it in the cinema and it's now gone. Anyway EVERYONE in Internetland is beyond PO'd Ben got snubbed. Even though I haven't seen it I was sure he was a locked. Shame about Bigelow. I knew QT would get snubbed but he got writing so....

Best Actress - Very surprised that Marion was left off. I don't know who will get it. I want either Jessica or Emmanuelle to win. I love Naomi as much as the next person but it will be a work win not a role win from what people are saying.

Best Actor - John Hawkes (The Sessions) was completely robbed. ROBBED. In my opinion it's Denzel who stole his spot. So happy about Joaquin. I want him to get it.

Best Supporting Actress/Actor - I'm happy with these especially Amy. Until we see what happens with the other award shows I don't know who will get it.

Others - While I worship Colleen Atwood I hope Eiko Ishioka wins for Costume. They were amazing in Mirror Mirror. I hope Brave gets Animation. But would be happy for Frankenweenie or Paranorman. I hope Adele performs at the show.

I still can't believe people thought Skyfall would get nods in the main categories. While I really enjoyed the movie hello it's James Bond. The Avengers would deserve it more. Super glad The Dark Night Rises didn't get anything. That movie SUCKED.

I still have a few of films to watch this weekend before the Globes. I need a screener of Sliver Lining Playbook. I really want to see it. I can get over my dislike for the director.

10-01-2013
I don't know

^The support for skyfall was baffling. It was good for a blockbuster, but best picture or supporting actor?

has anyone seen this parody twitter account for Michael Haneke? It's cracking me up so much

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, awards, movie, season