How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-01-2013
less is more

A lot of people (i.e. entertainment writers) seem to think JLaw has a very good shot at bagging the oscar. However, I've heard recent talk that Naomi could get it for her career (not so much for her work on the Impossible). If you were a voter, would you be thinking it's a bit to soon to reward someone as young as JLaw and she needs to pay her dues more? Personally, I'd like to see Chastain win, though I doubt whether this will actually happen.

God, I hope Anne doesn't win for Les Mis. She would be even more insufferable. Though, it seems like that category is the most certain over any other if you were a betting person.

It would suck to be Ben Affleck. He has been pimping so hard for Argo. I almost feel bad for him (almost).

10-01-2013
fashion insider

People are now backing Riva and I could see her being a surprise winner but right now the momentum is back with Jennifer. I think Chastain is third now but I am sure an Oscar win is in her future.

10-01-2013
less is more

^Really? Unless Riva really brings the charisma for some campaigning I don't see that happening. If she was an older actress who also had a very long career with many well respected films, I would say yes. But, she hasn't actually done that much work over the past 60+ years. You're probably right with the Jennifer and Jessica predictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saann View Post
^The support for skyfall was baffling. It was good for a blockbuster, but best picture or supporting actor?

has anyone seen this parody twitter account for Michael Haneke? It's cracking me up so much
I like this one, which captures the essence of the Oscars quite well:

amour.png

cap from twitter.com/Michael_Haneke

Last edited by rox_yr_sox; 10-01-2013 at 05:12 PM.
10-01-2013
V.I.P.

^ LOL thats totally true.

I read move Jessica over Jennifer. I think we will have to wait till after the other 3 to see who is the front runner.

10-01-2013
fashion insider

rox I think the fact that Amour got director and picture nods, a surprise to a lot of people, is indicating that there is a lot of passion there for the film. It's a foreign film and they are usually ignored in those categories. I think Sasha Stone has moved her prediction from Chatain to Riva as well. Similarly SLP has got nominated in all four acting categories, being the first one to do so in 31 years and it is also nominated for best director and best picture which shows that the Academy is very much enamoured with the film. From what I've read on awards forums, Bigelow missing out has hindered Jessica's chances a lot. I'm sure the torture controversy hasn't helped either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pixiedust1603; 10-01-2013 at 05:45 PM.
10-01-2013
V.I.P.

^ OMG that's pathetic. It's a movie based on real events. Maybe if Maya had been the one going the torturing then yes but Jessica's performance was fantastic and that issue shouldn't take away from that. People need to get over it.

I am laughing LAUGHING so hard at all the butthurt people that wanted Batman to get a nom. This is the Oscars people not the MTV awards. In my opinion it doesn't even deserve one of those either.

10-01-2013
V.I.P.

Critics Choice Awards Winners
BEST FILM: Argo
BEST DIRECTOR: Ben Affleck, Argo
BEST ACTOR: Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln
BEST ACTRESS: Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Django Unchained
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Lincoln
BEST ENSEMBLE: Silver Linings Playbook
BEST FOREIGN FILM: Amour
BEST DOCUMENTARY: Searching for Sugarman
BEST ORIGINAL SONG: Skyfall
BEST ORIGINAL SONG: Lincoln
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Life of Pi
BEST ART DIRECTION: Anna Karenina
BEST COSTUMES: Anna Karenina
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Life of Pi
BEST YOUNG ACTOR: Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
BEST COMEDY: Silver Linings Playbook
BEST COMEDY ACTOR: Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
BEST COMEDY ACTRESS: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
BEST ACTION FILM: Skyfall
BEST ACTION ACTOR: Daniel Craig, Skyfall
BEST ACTION ACTRESS: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
BEST SCI-FI/HORROR FILM: Looper

V.I.P.

^ Thanks! These seem like good choices, except I don't think Sci-Fi and Horror should be lumped together; they are very different. Just a pet peeve.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
10-01-2013
V.I.P.

Many of the Oscar-nominated movies still haven't come out here in Brazil so I can't say much about other nominations, but am I the ONLY one who thinks Ewan McGregor should've been nominated for The Impossible??

11-01-2013
I don't know

^I found him flat some parts of the films but the scene where he's calling back home to see if his wife had made contact completely overshadowed anything Watts did in the film.

I do believe Riva can take this, the love for Amour seems extremely strong seeing as it not only landed a foreign film nomination but also but also picture and director. A lot of people didn't even have Haneke in their predictions despite wanting him nominated.

And if a lot of votes are split between Chastain/Lawrence (which could easily happen), then Riva could get in the lead with her Amour support.

11-01-2013
V.I.P.

I don't think Amour was all that.. I suppose it touches the age + love sacrifice fiber and the performances are certainly good but not really outstanding for me.. I don't know, if anything they should've nominated Riva's student in the movie (I don't know his name but he's WOW) and Isabelle, who's fantastic as always. Trintignant was good too. Of all people, I never would've thought the Oscars' need for validation would project itself through Riva..

I hope the best actress award goes to Naomi, it's about time, she's so good at selecting projects and excels in each and every one of them.

And No for best foreign film. Way above Amour and A Royal Affair imo (haven't seen the others).

The pre-Golden Globes announcement's got me utterly confused btw.

(does anyone know if Jonny Greenwood got nominated???)

Last edited by MulletProof; 11-01-2013 at 01:02 AM.
11-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post

The pre-Golden Globes announcement's got me utterly confused btw.

(does anyone know if Jonny Greenwood got nominated???)
Same here! It totally killed the anticipation.

And sadly no he didn't. While I found The Master to be utterly pretentious and pointless I found the cinematography and music downright beautiful.

11-01-2013
fashion icon

I'm pleasantly surprised DeNiro and Weaver got noticed for Silver Linings. I thought the whole cast was wonderful but expected them to be overshadowed by casts from Les Mis and other films.

The supporting actor categories are so so safe.

I haven't seen Les Mis and don't plan to until it hits Netflix. I'm just not a musical lover. That said I feel like this movie is only being nominated because it's the only musical out this year. I thought it got really mixed reviews?

I get that Daniel Day Lewis is a great actor but I feel like giving him another award for Lincoln is rewarding him for doing what he always does which is rather good character impersonations. He needs to prove himself adept at a different genre like a comedy in my opinion to get further awards.

Random but can US Vogue continue to snub Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Lawrence for covers now that they are both two time nominees? How many less deserving people will appear on the cover before these two?

Last edited by loladonna; 11-01-2013 at 03:56 AM.
11-01-2013
fashion insider

I didn't saw Lincoln, but without a doubt till now the best film of the year for me was Amour. And Emmanuelle is miles ahead any of her competitors. Won't win though.

I cannot believe Life Of Pi is nominated for Best film, and Les Mis and Anne, come on...only in America.

11-01-2013
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
I cannot believe Life Of Pi is nominated for Best film, and Les Mis and Anne, come on...only in America.
Not really though, considering the BAFTAs also nominated them...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, awards, movie, season