How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-01-2013
V.I.P.

Jennifer and Jessica were pretty much neck and neck going into tonight. Both won the Globe, Jessica won BAFCA but Jennifer won in comedy there. This award was supposed to tell who is really ahead and it's apparently Jan. With SLP over-performing with nominations and ZDT underperforming, I'd say Jennifer is comfortably in the lead at this point.

Argo is really the story of the season though. I thought with the Director snub its campaign would collapse, but the opposite happened. It's like Ben's snub energized people and it now became the underdog that everyone rallied around. Additionally, no solid alternative emerged and thus Argo is the movie of the season. I'll be happy to see another film wining Best Picture without a Director's nomination and I really enjoyed the movie, but there are much stronger ones nominated. Still, who will win Director?

Also, I'll be content if Daniel Day Lewis doesn't make another movie in his life again. His sweeps are becoming insufferable. He's the male Meryl Streep. Both need to either retire or withdraw their names from all future award consideration.

Last edited by MyNameIs; 27-01-2013 at 10:03 PM.

27-01-2013
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post

Also, I'll be content if Daniel Day Lewis doesn't make another movie in his life again. His sweeps are becoming insufferable. He's the male Meryl Streep. Both need to either retire or withdraw their names from all future award consideration.
Hey now, watch it, Meryl Streep is flawless! But I do agree with you about DDL, I'd like to see someone else win and it always seems like he only does films that the academy would deem "Oscar-worthy." At least Meryl does a verity of films, like Hope Springs or Mamma Mia, that may not be the best films and certainly not films that would be given awards as well as her "Oscar performances". But it feels like, at least to me, that DDL doesn't really do anything like that. I'd love for more up-in-coming actors and actress to not only get nominated but to win, while I do love some of the 'old guard' it's no fun having them always getting nominated, not everything they do is award worthy. Of course this year Jen, Jessica, and Quvenzhane have all been nominated for various awards, and rightly so! I wonder, does it seem like more up-in-coming female actresses are in the categories then up-in-coming male actors? I'd be curious to know the statistics behind it.

V.I.P.

Personally I'm waiting for the BAFTAs when it comes to Best Picture and Best Actress. Last year Volia and The Help got the SAGs but then Meryl and The Artist won the BAFTAs. Who got the Oscars - Meryl and The Artist. It's the same this time these two awards are too close the call.

I saw The Impossible on Saturday and Naomi is fantastic. If she pulled an upset she would still deserve it. I also watched Flight. It's such an average popcorn movie. I'm really baffled that Denzel is nominated over John Hawkes for Oscar.

Best Actor and Sup Actor are so boring now. Props to DDL for his shout out to Joaquin. He should have been nominated.

28-01-2013
fashion icon

The Oscars are going to be a snoozer at this rate.

I'm disappointed that Bradley Cooper continues to go unrewarded at the majors for SLP. JLaw is getting all the acclaim but he really was the anchor of that film.

I'm hoping Chastain and Bradley can pull off upsets at the Oscars but it's looking bleak at this point.

I'm respect DDL and Meryl but I'm so over them winning every time they're nominated for something. It's like all they have to do is fart on screen and they will be nominated.

28-01-2013
fashion insider

I loved Bradley in SLP so I do agree that he should be getting more attention but unfortunately for him Best Actor is such a strong category this year. I think Best Actress is Lawrence's to lose with maybe Riva being a shock win as I think she (Riva) is going to win the BAFTA. There is little chance of Jennifer winning that in my opinion. I just think Jennifer has the better narrative, with her ability to straddle staring in two money making franchises and staring in critically acclaimed film, to win the Oscar and Weinstein is going to push that.

I really do think that the Best Picture category is somewhat of a mess at the moment but there is no way that Argo is not winning. It's funny that when ZD30 was first screened, reviewers kept on saying that it made Argo look poor in comparison yet it is Argo benefiting more from the rebound and sympath vote.

28-01-2013
fashion icon

I'm wondering if all the negative publicity hurt ZD30. There were a rash of articles criticizing the film and claiming it promoted torture. The film seems to have lost momentum.

I think the best picture category should be only 5 films like in the past. I also think the Directors of the 5 films named for best picture should automatically be nominated for Best Director. I don't see how these two categories can be separated.

28-01-2013
I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
The Oscars are going to be a snoozer at this rate.

I'm disappointed that Bradley Cooper continues to go unrewarded at the majors for SLP. JLaw is getting all the acclaim but he really was the anchor of that film.
Bradley was so good in SLP, easily best in show. I'm happy he's finally being recognized as a talent, I've had a soft spot for him ever since Kitchen Confidential

28-01-2013
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saann View Post
Bradley was so good in SLP, easily best in show. I'm happy he's finally being recognized as a talent, I've had a soft spot for him ever since Kitchen Confidential
OMG! I thought I was the only person who loved Kitchen Confidential! I discovered it on Hulu one day and ended up watching every episode. The show was brillant and Bradley--and the whole cast- had great comedic timing. I cannot believe that show was canceled so soon and not given a chance to flourish.

28-01-2013
I don't know

^yaay! other Kitchen Confidential lovers I was so bummed when it was cancelled and I still watch the episodes every now and then. I agree, the whole cast was hilarious and perfectly cast. Just the scenes where they have to kill the bunnies had me rolling.

28-01-2013
fashion elite

I agree Bradley is the most underrated in the whole awards campaign.
Jennifer deserves all the recognzation she is getting but I feel they are puting Bradley too behind.
I still find ridiculous that he lost the Golden Globe for Hugh Jackman that had a pretty underwhelming performance. I may say he is my favourite to the Oscar but that just wont heapen.
Its obvious that Jennifer is now in the lead but so was Julie Christie the winner of SAG and pretty much the front runner on her year and Marion (deservedly) got the Oscar, so we never know...

28-01-2013
fashion icon

Count me as another person who thinks that Bradley has been very underrated this awards season. The scene in Silver Linings Playbook where he throws the book out the window just kills me, it was so perfect and I can totally relate to that feeling after finishing some books! His performance seems more subtle then a lot of the other actors nominated in the same category which is probably why he hasn't gotten the love he deserves. Though it seems like it's a particularly strong year for the guys, so that too hinders a bit.

tfs star

I'm just so relieved that I'm not the only person who feels this way about DDL. Bradley definitely deserves more than a nomination. His performance is nothing short of flawless. I mean not one false note in the entire film. And as much as I love me some DDL, the idol-worship for him is getting a bit old. Yes, he's a phenomenal actor, but seriously? Lincoln was great, but ultimately a pretty conventional biopic, complete with dramatic, swelling music from John Williams and scenery-chewing speeches from the leads. And I'm not the kind of person who usually is like give an Oscar to someone for the sake of diversity. If DDL really was mindblowing, he deserves it. But he's up against some really fresh, amazing, truly incredible lead performances---Bradley Cooper, John Hawkes, Suraj Sharma (pitifully overlooked), Joaquin Phoenix. C'mon, AMPAS.

Last edited by chickadee; 31-01-2013 at 10:59 PM.
02-02-2013
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saann View Post
^yaay! other Kitchen Confidential lovers I was so bummed when it was cancelled and I still watch the episodes every now and then. I agree, the whole cast was hilarious and perfectly cast. Just the scenes where they have to kill the bunnies had me rolling.
I loved when Michael Vartan guest-starred as the rival chef on the block and his resturaunt and Bradley's restaurant kept pranking each other. Whenever Bradley's manager (the Boss's daughter) would go to confront Michael she'd end up sleeping with him instead. They also stole Michael's creepy breadmaker who made delicious bread.

Last edited by loladonna; 02-02-2013 at 02:39 PM.
02-02-2013
backstage pass

I'd love Jen to take the Oscar but I think either Emanuelle or Jessica are going to take it.

And I agree Bradley doesn't get enough credit.

02-02-2013
fashion elite

^What? Jennifer is so going to win. Have you seen the statistics? Shes far ahead from Jessica

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, awards, movie, season