How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-02-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust1603 View Post
Jessica never has truly been in the race imo; she is the Michelle Williams of last year.

I think the story is there for both Riva and Lawrence and it's up to the Academy member to decide which one they'll go for.
I think by January she was on the race. But as time went by Jennifer stayed on the top and Riva stepped up.
Either way I dont think Emanuelle cares at all about the Oscars, she sais that she "can not wait it is after the Oscars"

10-02-2013
V.I.P.

Some sites are still saying it's between the two J's but Riva could split it. I don't think Jessica's quite out of the race yet. There's still two weeks to go.

There is still all the hush hush background campaigning going on. Some people believe that BP is still wide open. Personally I think those people are just kidding themselves.

10-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust1603 View Post
Jessica never has truly been in the race imo; she is the Michelle Williams of last year.

I think the story is there for both Riva and Lawrence and it's up to the Academy member to decide which one they'll go for.
What? Jessica is nothing like Michelle was last year. Michelle didn't have a single 'important' win. Jessica on the other hand won BFCA and GG Drama. She may even be third in the race right now, but there was definitely a period where it looked like she might have a chance. And I still think she might have a chance to win.

V.I.P.

^ Michelle did win the Golden Globe though.

10-02-2013
tfs star

I don't think Jessica's out of the race either. At this point, she and Lawrence are neck and neck. And I am almost 90 percent sure Jessica has been campaigning her behind off. Side note: David O, Russell's reaction to Emmanuelle Riva winning was just gross.

10-02-2013
fashion elite

i don't think jessica did anything outstanding in zero dark thirty, she had a better chance with the help in my opinion.

then again anne's awards sweep is completely undeserved in my opinion.

tfs star

I agree about Anne. Since the GGs, I have muted and/or fast forwarded through her acceptance speeches.

10-02-2013
fashion elite

^ omg so far you are the first who agrees with me.

fashion insider

Well, I thought Anne Hathaway's performance was phenomenal. I had doubts before seeing Les Mis but she played the part so well.
I'm hoping that Argo doesn't win best picture, because to me, it's really nothing special and it definitely wasn't the best movie of this year at all.

fashion elite

Cant Anne be a little more genuine? I think she will pull an Halle Berry at the Oscars. I dont get it, she wins every award and still looks "surprised" in very single one of them. She is the Taylor Swift of Cinema.

11-02-2013
tfs star

I don't have a problem with her performance. Les Miserables was far from my favorite movie of the year (musicals just don't cut it for me), and I wouldn't hesitate to say that she was one of the best things about the film. It's the fakeness and the histrionics I don't care for. She's been campaigning hella hard this season, on top of sweeping the category. She and DDL seem to be the only few locks this year, and she still pulls the Taylor Swift I'm-so-surprised-you-chose-me act every time. It's annoying and off-putting, combined with the fact that I was never a huge fan of hers in the first place.

11-02-2013
Mr. Magic

I just want Riva to win the Oscar and shut down Jennifer (and more importantly, Harvey)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
11-02-2013
fashion icon

I guess it's curtains for Jessica and Bradley's Oscar hopes barring a miracle

Anne should just go ahead and write her sappy speech. Who am I kidding? She already has.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a Weinstein backlash agains SLP. It seems like the momentum for the film just came to a screeching halt. I won't be surprised if it becomes one the most nominated film to not win any category at the Oscars.

11-02-2013
fashion insider

If The King's Speech winning, Tom Hooper beating David Fincher and Gwyneth Paltrow winning didn't provoke a Weinstein backlash, nothing will. SLP was never going to do well at the BAFTAs, I mean it was only nominated for three awards last night. The Academy has fallen in love with it far more than the BAFTAs did and the box office is exceeding expectations. I would argue the momentum is increasing more and more but I think Riva's is increasing even faster.

I really think Anne should win but why is she so breathless during all her awards speeches? Kate Winslet did that too and it was irritating.

11-02-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineJane View Post
I know everyone's mileage varies, but I don't think it's correct to say that the only reason JLaw is receiving the buzz she is is because of Harvey. I've been following this movie since pre-production and remember crystal clear the kind of reaction it got after its world premiere at TIFF last year. People left the very first screening raving about JENNIFER, not anyone else. The general consensus was: "the entire cast is great. Lawrence is SUBLIME." Critics who attended the screening were declaring the Best Actress race already won as soon as they walked out the theatre. Well before Harvey started using his Weinstein "magic" to cement her Oscar campaign, Jennifer Lawrence was getting the most praise for her part and was instantly noted by experts as the frontrunner for Best Actress. Her buzz and her hype began the first time SLP's credits started rolling.
But I didn't say the ONLY reason she was winning is because of Harvey. What I meant, and probably I didn't communicate this clearly enough--my post is rather colloquial in retrospect--that I detect his influence. I never meant to imply that Jen's talent hasn't contributed to her accolades. It most surely has.

But I don't think there's any denying that Weinstein has a lot of sway, and without that influence I do wonder how lucky Jennifer would be this year. It's not that she isn't talented. I figured that she would probably be the first of this generation to win an Oscar and that it would probably happen within the next five years or so. It's just that she's up against other actresses in roles the AMPAS love to reward. Chastain is playing a real life character and Emmanuelle Riva is a veteran. Also, part of my opinion about this has very little to do with Jennifer herself and a lot to do with Harvey, who, obviously, likes to win. When he's attached to a project, my radar automatically turns on.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, awards, movie, season