How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-08-2012
backstage pass

yes! he is a great director, very good movie and soundtrack

20-08-2012
V.I.P.

I was surprised that no one's mentioned Bright Star. I thought the costumes in that were just beautiful, especially some of the ones worn by Abbie Cornish's character (abbie-cornish.org)

I think occasionally period films can look a bit dull and drab, depending on the era. But in this case they were lucky to be dealing with a character (Fanny Brawne) who was well known for her unique sense of syle, and love of fashion. They stayed true to that idea within the film without taking it so over the top as to make her look completely out of place and ridiculous.

Last edited by lostgirl; 20-08-2012 at 12:56 AM.
20-08-2012
V.I.P.

You guys already named most of them...

Bertolucci's The Conformist has great clothing!

Lots of Woody Allen films: besides obvious ones like Annie Hall, there is Play it Again Sam, Interiors, or more recently Match Point and Vicky Christina Barcelona. His characters are often well dressed and styled well.

Pretty much anything by Sofia Coppola.

The clothes in The Talented Mr Ripley were stunning.

For 90s stuff Singles; for 80s Pretty in Pink.

Love the clothes Eva Green wears in Cracks

Out of Africa was huge in its day.

There are gazillions more, of course, and I didn't even really consider costume drama...

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 20-08-2012 at 01:27 AM.
20-08-2012
V.I.P.

Also anything by Wes Anderson...

The main actress in Demonlover; Catherine Keener in Being John Malkovic

Badlands and Tree of Life were both lovely. An Education - loved the clothes!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 20-08-2012 at 01:41 AM.
22-12-2013
windowshopping

Top 10 Stylish Films
Apologies if the thread already exists but I could not find it.

What are you top 10/15 stylish films - by this I mean movies with beautiful (and often iconic) costume, elegant sets, witty dialogue and great acting. You rarely find all of these things in one film but here is my list (with accompanying YT videos where relevant) of some that fall under the title "Stylish", in no particular order:

* Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky (2009)

* The English Patient (1996)

* La Grande Bellezza (2013) [English title - The Great Beauty]

* Talented Mr Ripley (1999)
* The Single Man (2009)
* La Dolce Vita (1960)

* The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

* Cracks (2009)

* Brideshead Revisited (2008) or (1981)

* Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) and many other collaborations of Hepburn and Givenchy

* La Baie des Anges (1963) [English Title - Bay of Angels]
* Lola (1961)

Also worth a mention are

* Il Conformista (1970) [English Title - The Conformist]
* L'Année Dernière à Marienbad (1961) [English Title - Last Year at Mirenbad]
* La Règle du Jeu (1939) [English Title - The Rules of the Game]

Love to know what films you would recommend someone looking to appreciate great stylish cinema.

22-12-2013
V.I.P.

Stoker (2012)
Sleeping Beauty (2011)
Lolita (1997)
The American Psycho (2000)
Damage (1992)
The Lover (=L'Amant) (1992)
The Consequences of Love (=Le Conseguenze dell'amore) (2004)
The Great Gatsby (1974 & 2013)
Croupier (1998)
Beau Pere (1981)
Factory Girl (2006)
Nowhere Boy (2009)
Alfie (2004)
Little Ashes (2008)
Wall Street (1987)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
La Piscine (1969)
Funny Face (1957)
Innocence (2004)
Somewhere (2010)
American Gigolo (1980)
Black Swan (2010)
Romeo+Juliet (1996)

would love to hear more...

Last edited by Flyest; 22-12-2013 at 04:17 PM.
25-12-2013
V.I.P.

Blue Jasmine starring Cate Blanchett.

But satisfaction brought it back
03-05-2014
V.I.P.

I recently rewatched Great Expectations (1998) for the first time in years and I was struck by the style specifically Gwyneth's clothing though Anne Bancroft had some great looks as well. The amount of green in the film's color scheme, particularly Estella's (Gwyneth's) costumes calls to mind two things for me: envy, and money. Both of which are associated with her character. (cineplex, eldestandonly.com):

Actually as I finish posting these it occurs to me that the green in the costumes could be indicative of several main characters' naivete as well. Miss Dinnsmoor was naive in her devotion to her fiance many years earlier. Finn is naive to believe that Miss Dinnsmoor has any good intentions towards him, and Estella is barely her own person- all she knows is what she's been taught. When she was just a child Miss Dinnsmoor decided that she'd raised to be a weapon to hurt and manipulate men. So that becomes her identity. In the final scene of the film she's wearing white (I couldn't find a pic of the dress) which could symbolize that she's no longer the naive child Miss Dinsmoor raised to cause pain, but rather is a blank slate- she can finally become herself.

Or maybe I'm just reading waaaay too much into the color of the costumes!

04-05-2014
V.I.P.

So many greats there ^^^^^^^^^^

American Hustle
Serpico
Carlitos way
Scarface
Sophies choice
Side effects
And list continues

04-05-2014
V.I.P.

If you've not yet seen ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE you must! It's brilliant. But the clothes are perrrrrrfection also!

all Vogue.com

04-05-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl View Post
Or maybe I'm just reading waaaay too much into the color of the costumes!
No your take is very interesting. For most films the costume designer does take things like this into consideration especially if they have a good relationship with the director.

FYI Gwyneth's clothes were all by Donna Karen. Not sure Ethan and Ann's though sorry.

I watched Pretty Women again recently and afterwards read up about the clothes and everything she wore was made by the costume designer. None of them were by a designer name. She had to fight the film makers to let the opera dress be red. I can't imagine it any other colour.

08-05-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
If you've not yet seen ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE you must! It's brilliant. But the clothes are perrrrrrfection also!

all Vogue.com
Totally! I saw it when my friends bailed on me the last minute, so I was pretty pissed off before I went in the cinema, though as soon as it came on I was mesmerised!

backstage pass

Have you any of you guys seen the 1995 comedy "Party Girl" with Parker Posey? I love it, It is a really funny, light and over the top film, it resembles "Clueless" in its style. However these are not the best screenshots, but there is hardly any HQ images online that I can find, which is a shame as the film has some really good outfits worn by Parker.

source - my own screenshots

Last edited by Razzer; 08-05-2014 at 12:02 PM.
08-05-2014
backstage pass

Here is the trailer!

V.I.P.

I know this is a tv show and not a movie, but I'm sort of obsessed with the fashion on Reign. It blends renaissance style with contemporary (definitely not historically accurate!) and it's taken some heat from purists but I think they do some interesting stuff
Here's how the costume designer described her ideas for each character (source)
Quote:
Mary (Adelaide Kane)"From the beginning I had this vision of her as two women: she's the warrior queen and she's the romantic. And I always feel like usually we embody both of those elements in her wardrobe, so if there's a harsh or strong detail, it will be accompanied by something light and feminine. Sometimes it's even just her hair which works into that. Something that pops to mind is this Alexander McQueen gown that we put her in in the second episode, that she wears when she meets Simon, the British lord…It's this insane, beaded almost kind of armored gown, and with her hair down and soft, it kind of softened it up and made it a little more romantic and mysterious rather than just harsh. So I feel like that's the balance usually with Mary."

Quote:
Kenna (Caitlin Stasey)
"Immediately as soon as I read the pilot, I thought Kenna to me feels like our bohemian girl, our flower child, and has this kind of relaxed hippie vibe. And then when I saw a photo of Caitlin, I thought, 'Oh, that's perfect, she totally fits the bill.' We keep her in a lot of earth tones, a lot of creams."

Quote:
Lola (Anna Popplewell)
"Lola read to me as the romantic, and I immediately thought of the iconic image of Ophelia in the water, surrounded by flowers. She became our romantic type and kind of the heroine. And that kind of turned into having a 1920s vibe to her, and I think a lot of those silhouettes look so beautiful on Anna. So we kept her in a lot of plums and burgundies and pinks and lavenders, and keeping her feminine but also strong at the same time, because her character speaks out and is opinionated."

Quote:
Greer (Celina Sinden)
"Greer, because she's not titled, but she's ridiculously wealthy, she's constantly trying to prove herself with her jewels and her fashion...She's always kind of slightly over the top, always kind of acceptable but a little bit over the top. She'll always have big jewels on, we kept her in a lot of emerald, kind of jewel tones, a lot of greens and deep golds and yellows on her. Constantly one too many accessories on her because she's trying a little too hard."

Quote:
Aylee (Jenessa Grant)
"For Aylee, she always felt probably the most conservative out of the girls, a little more reserved, a little more law-abiding so to speak. I always envisioned her as the prep, the preppy girl as she would be in modern times. So we kept her in a lot of creams. Ironically, old vintage wedding dresses really kind of started working for her, so we got this collection in and these beautiful kind of 1950s and '60s wedding gowns that we then would kind of take apart and jewel or do something to do make them her own."

all pics from cwtv.com/shows/reign

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
10, fashion, films, great, movies, stylish