How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-10-2007
backstage pass

NaNoWriMo
Is anybody here a writer? Has anybody ever attempted to participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)?

Basically the idea is to write a novel in a single month. It doesn't matter if it's good, mediocre, or absolutely effing horrible, or even if it makes sense all the way through. Your plot can be nonexistant or change or have holes, your characters can be two-dimensional or undeveloped or unrealistic - nothing matters but the page count at the end of the month.

The ultimate goal is to complete a 175 page (50,000 word) novel by the night of November 30, having started no earlier than November 1.

I have bookmarked the site (www.nanowrimo.org) for the last several years but have never participated. Now that I've graduated college and don't have term papers and theses to do, I'm hoping I won't dread writing something of my own accord and I think I'm going to try it this year! (Plus, I wrote my 80-page thesis in close to 3 days, which gives me great hope that I can succeed!)

Is anyone else in? Does anybody have experience with NaNoWriMo from the past? Did you succeed or fail? Do you know of friends who participate?

At the time of writing this, I have absolutely no inspiration or starting ideas for my novel. But as of tomorrow I better have something to start writing about!

"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to take away."

31-10-2007
rising star

I just signed up, and I'm going to try it too! thanks for the link to this, it sounds interesting...I have no idea what I'm going to start writing about tomorrow!:O

31-10-2007
front row

I did NaNoWriMo three years ago, and I finished with 57,000 words. It was a great experience. Totally crazy, but worth it! I recommend trying it out if you love writing or just like a good challenge.

Here are my tips. Do lots of pre-planning and brainstorming. When you're not writing, you should be thinking about what's going to happen next in your story. Also, the forum is GREAT for support. The people there are very helpful (in case you get writer's block) and funny, and they will motivate you to stay on track (just don't stay there for too long and forget to write--lol). I still go there every so often even though I haven't done NaNoWriMo in years.

It really IS a lot of fun. ^ Good luck to everyone participating this year. Wish I could do it again, but school is SUCH a pain.

Last edited by winterise; 31-10-2007 at 08:31 PM.
21-09-2011
tfs star

40 days till NaNoWriMo 2011.

anyone doing it this year?

22-09-2011
V.I.P.

I participated and decided to keep up writing the novel I began for the past year--it's YA (51,000 words) and I'm close to completion. I'm thinking about querying it out to agents to see if there is interest . My readers have given me good feedback so far.

23-09-2011
V.I.P.

Ahh I did this for three years in a row. Met the word count all times, but I'm not happy with the literary aspect of any of the stories! Crappy and rough writing. There's one fantasy story that I really liked though - in fact, I often go back to work on it whenever I can. Starting Uni next week though, so I don't think that I'll be able to do Nano this year.

tfs star

I did NaNoWriMo last year for the first time. in the middle of the ending of my senior year at high school, i had to do both the IB and prepare the PSU that is the exam you have to do to enter into some college of prestige... and it didnt stopped, me, i thought if i was not doing it there i was probably never going to. I ended up winning.
This year i'm a freshman at college with lots of things to do, but i think i'm capable enough to arrange everything and still do nano, i have lots of ideas in my mind so i'm hoping everything turns out good.
That i'll be doing it this year, i am. still i'm not sure if i'll suceed... hopefully i would.

Last edited by paz2992; 25-09-2011 at 02:42 PM.
11-10-2011
tfs star

with just 20 days till november, the nanowrimo site has relauched. i already made myself my new account for 2011. http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/paz2992

11-10-2011
fashion icon

I did this a few years ago, my senior year of high school, with some friends. In retrospect it was terrible timing for me because I was writing my essay, filling out apps and doing some last minute college visits. So I didn't complete the word count although I did have fun writing what I did manage to complete. I've thought about going back to NanoWriMo again this year, but of course once again I'm doing college apps and have tons of school work! So at the moment I'm not sure I'll be participating although I would love to. I have a story idea that I've been thinking of for ages and I've been meaning to get down onto the pages.
My advice for those doing Nano this year is to participate on the forums, they are really helpful. Also, in the weeks leading up to November start brainstorming the story you want to write. This way you wont feel unprepared for the first few days of Nano. And lastly, just have fun, it doesn't matter if you meet the 50,000 words or not, just as long as you are enjoying yourself.

tfs star

it's that time of the year all over again... i'm going for my third year... bit this time i'm not so confident in succeed, i'm way more into university now, and i preffer it too. still i'll do as i can.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
nanowrimo