How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siesta
Most of them are just "stars," not "actors." Actors are for people like Ralph Fiennes, Robert De Niro, Sean Penn...
I think so too
A lot of them are popular for their 'beauty'

But Angelina Jolie is not so bad. Her look is really great for scary characters
like her role in Girl, Interrupted

21-08-2006
fashion elite

natalie portman
eva longoria
audrey hepburn (DEFINITLEY.)

21-08-2006
rising star

Charlize Theron
Jamie Foxx (I don't know which is worse - his acting or his personality)

21-08-2006
barcode

Actually, I disagree about Angelina Jolie. Yes, she's overexposed and very Hollywood, but she does have talent.

Same with Charlize.

But I definitly agree about Spacey, although I loved him as Lex Luthor.

21-08-2006
VSFS 2009!

Charlize Theron (yes, I know....two Oscar nominations but still, overated)

Angelina Jolie (had talent before she threw it away for tomb raider chick)

Nicole Kidman (was amazing. what happened)

Scarlet Johanssan (she has never made me go: WHOA, what an actress)

Kirsten Dunst (what happened to all these young actreeses that used to be amazing and sorta died of in performance level later on? I'm hoping Marie-Antoinette will bring her back because Spider Man sure as hell won't)

Natalie Portman (again, amazing in her younger years. Closer was painful for me to watch because....she was so....not deserving of that oscar nod. I mean, I appreciate the fact that she took a risk which is more than what most actors would do but still, it wasn't deserving. Gary Oldman has NEVER had an Oscar nod and he is far more superior an actor)

21-08-2006
tfs star

Johnny Depp. I adore him but as an actor......... he´s not that great

Jack Nicholson

Heath Ledger. I like him but he was horrible in Brokeback Mountain. An Oscar nomination?????WTF!!!! you could even tell the australian accent.

Jodie Foster

Kirsten Dunst

barcode

^ OMG, I think Heath Ledger was amazing in Brokeback Mountain, not to mention he's one of very few in the young Hollywood set who takes his work seriously.

21-08-2006
backstage pass

Overrated.

Gywnnie Paltry. So not deserving of that oscar win, it should have been Cate Blanchett. She makes crappy movies and then blames everyone but herself for their failure, ohhh Harvey made me do Shallow Hal, I didn't want to do it!!

Jen Aniston. She'll forever be Rachel from Friends and she wasn't much good in that role. She's painful to watch.

Kate Hudson. The giggly hippie routine bugs and I think she's annoying as hell.

Julia "man stealing" Roberts. Bitter, nasty woman who aint no sweetheart.

Emmy Rossum, she has one expression and it's simper. Plus she has an extremely high opinuon of herself.

I know people were slating some actresses for their oscar noms ie Keira and Natalie but the award categories for women are usually a lot easier to get into as their as fewer good roles for women that there are for men.

I guess I should go post in the underated thread so people don't think there aren't any actresses or actors that I do like.

21-08-2006
fashion elite

^^I will admit, I've never seen Brokeback Mountain - but I've seen Heath in about 2 or 3 other films, and in each he = wooden. (IMO)

Let's see....It's VERY hard for me to differentiate between thinknig an actor is overrated and just not liking them....within myself. So I will bring them all together...whatever my reasoning. The ones that stick out in my head atm:

Russell Crowe
Charlize Theron (I wish she'd go away)
Nicole Kidman (overall. But in some roles, I think she fits.)
Julia Roberts (She ALWAYS plays herself in some form or another. And that hideous laugh is so endearing to people, and I just don't get it. )

These are actors I WOULD say are overrated, but I won't:

I would say Jude Law...but I'm not gonna b/c every role he plays is completely different. He deserves props for not having a boring career.
I would say Brad Pitt b/c he's a crap actor....but I don't think he gets much hype for his acting skills anyway...only his looks. (which I've never understood either)
My reasoning for Tom Cruise is identical to Brad's.
I would say all the teeny and *tWeeny* actresses, but again, they don't get hype anyway either.
I would say Dakota Fanning b/c to me she plays the same roles everytime. All she does is cry and act scared. I mean one or two films - I though HEY great child actor...but it got old when that's all I see her in. But I won't b/c..well..she's just a kid.

*Classic actors I think are overrated:*

Audrey Hepburn (all she was to me was cool clothes)
Doris Day
Marilyn Monroe (sure she had sex appeal, and will always be an "icon"..but that's it.)

Last edited by DreamsAreMade; 21-08-2006 at 07:54 PM.
21-08-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Audrey Hepburn
THANK. YOU.
Save for Breakfast at Tiffany's, all her movies are painful to watch. She cannot act imo, and her voice is the most annoying thing ever. She had class. Period.

Also: Nicole Kidman (take a Xanax baby)
Julia Robert (who can only play her annoying self in every single awful movie she stars in. Erin Brochowhatever was BAD - performances and all)
100% of young Hollywood save for Maggie Gyllenhaal and Portman
95% of not so young Hollywood (Cate Blanchett being the best actor - all gender mixed - out there)

I used to think Brad was untalented eye candy then I saw Legend of The Fall and now I think he just plays in crappy movies.
Same with Angie after seeing Gia.
Kevin played in The Usual Suspects so he is a god in my books like anyone who stared in that wonder .

Last edited by Harumi; 21-08-2006 at 08:51 PM.
21-08-2006
trendsetter

I think Matt Dillon is... personally, whenever I see him on shows or in movies, I sort of throw up in my mouth... lol.

i don't think you're worth a second glance.
21-08-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsAreMade
Audrey Hepburn (all she was to me was cool clothes)
Doris Day
Marilyn Monroe (sure she had sex appeal, and will always be an "icon"..but that's it.)
May I ask why Doris? I always think of her as underrated... she always plays the plucky career girl. yes the same character in every movie but each one had something different to offer as far as being a model for an independent minded woman. She can sing, dance, and act to prefection.

Scarlett Johanssen- The girl can not act to save her life. sure she's pretty but she's so monotone and flat. and overacts in every scene. see Match Point. Her acting in LIT was mainly due to Coppla's direction.

Gwyneth Paltrow- She's an ok actress but does not deserve an Oscar for such a medicore movie/performance. She's blah and has had some really bad career choices. Blythe got all the talent here.

Nicole Kidman- Only overrated in the industry idea that she has mainstream appeal. She's an art house actress sorry to say (and there is nothing wrong with that) Stepford Wives and bwitched- what was she thinking!

21-08-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by purexelegance
I think Matt Dillon is... personally, whenever I see him on shows or in movies, I sort of throw up in my mouth... lol.
Really?? why?? I love him and think he´s totally underrated.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by purexelegance
Agreed. I mean, I wouldn't go quite that far, but he's pretty bad. I still like him as an actor for some reason.

Overrated

Brittany Murphy- Did you see her in Sin City? Terrible.
Selma Hayek- Haven't seen Frida but this woman has ruined sooo many movies for me.
Dakota Fanning- I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Robert DeNiro- He was a fantastic actor once upon a time,but now....geesh HORRIBLE, BAD in Hide and Seek.

22-08-2006
fashion elite

Selma was good in Frida. Agreed with De Niro: what happened to the guy?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
actors, overrated