How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-07-2006
Stitch:the Hand

Marilyn Manson Making Debut as Director
Quote:
PHANTASMAGORIA is a film currently in production by Marilyn Manson. It was cowritten by Manson and Geoffrey Cox. It is being produced with French production company Wild Bunch under a budget of $4.2m.
The script for the film has been complete as of December 2005 and shooting was scheduled to begin in January 2005. At a press conference for the film Manson (who will be playing Carroll) and Lily Cole (who will be playing Alice) screened a five-minute preview before around sixty journalists which was generally well-received. In addition to this a sypnosis given to journalists present at the event read:
Victorian England.
A haunted writer in an isolated castle is tormented by sleepless nights and visions of a girl named Alice. He finds himself becoming a symptom of his own invention.
“Now all my nightmares know my name.”
He is Lewis Carroll. Terrified of what waits for him each night.
In an appearance at the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest premiere, Manson said, "It's about the period in his life where there was a real split, It's a very Jekyll-and-Hyde sort of story. It's based on his diaries, and it's all very factual." He also discussed the possibility of recruiting Johnny Depp.
Reportedly, the cast so far consists of Tilda Swinton and possibly Evan Rachel Wood beside the forementioned leads. In the past, Manson has mentioned discussions with Angelina Jolie as to an unknown part but no attachment to the project has been reported.
Though initially planned for distribution through his website Manson now plans for a conventional cinema release in mid-2007 alongside a soundtrack drawing upon original music for the film and previously unreleased songs that ‘didn’t fit elsewhere’ with the film scheduled to be completed in fall 2006.
Manson has stated his aim for the project is to ‘redefine the horror genre’ and bring it back to the days of ‘Polański and Hitchcock’.
Manson stated in June 2006 that he sees himself ‘as more a student of film than of music’ and after Phantasmagoria is planning a trifecta of films retelling three Edgar Allen Poe stories.
*wikipedia

09-07-2006

I can't wait till this is out. Lily Cole should make a lovely Alice as will Tilda whatever role she's in. Perhaps,the new Tim Burton,Marilyn?? Though I'm not quick to make such a comparison,permaturely till I see it but MM's image and vision these days is so close to a Tim Burton character

09-07-2006
scenester

i've very excited! although...i have a sneaking suspicion that it's not going to be as good as it's made out to be. i wish there was a trailer i could watch.

09-07-2006
fashion insider

I personally think Manson is full of sh*t but it will be interesting to see if Manson or Cole can act......

& b

I think he's brilliant. maybe this will be good.

backstage pass

I will definitely go see this! I absolutely love Evan Rachel Wood.

09-07-2006
backstage pass

stills from ONTD

Last edited by Mink; 09-07-2006 at 12:36 PM.
09-07-2006
chaos reigns

Oh! Thanks for the pics!

Im very much intrigued ... Carroll is sacred to me so no one will ever fill my expectations ... Im most drawn to Poe's stories by Manson ... hum ... we'll see ... he's done directing for some videos and he's OK ... I wanna see ...

fashion insider

CAN`T WAIT TO SEE IT!

I hope it will be in the vein of Doppelherz!

10-07-2006

Those images kind of resemble a juxtoposed collaboration by Nick Knight and Corrine Day. I take it that it won't have that richly textured,visual sensibility one would associate with fairy-tale.

10-07-2006
V.I.P.

Ooh sounds good. Whether it will be is a different story.

10-07-2006
Zen
V.I.P.

Lucky Lily! I hope this film will do something for her for a different
direction then just modeling.

11-07-2006
V.I.P.

I'm really excited about this I hope it wil be just as good as I think it will be :p

19-07-2006
V.I.P.

I'm hugely anticipating this. All the key elements are present:

Quote:
Victorian England.
A haunted writer in an isolated castle is tormented by sleepless nights and visions of a girl named Alice. He finds himself becoming a symptom of his own invention.
“Now all my nightmares know my name.”
He is Lewis Carroll. Terrified of what waits for him each night.
This could turn out good or bad, of course, but I'm having a difficult time imaginging anything awful becoming of such a promising storyline...

101st monkey airborne

I'd be more interested in the film version of this: Lewis Carroll in His Own Account: The Complete Bank Account of the Rev. C.L. Dodgson.
I'm sure Manson could take a really fascinating, cinematic look at bank ledger entries--the debits, the credits--and what it says about this slippery thing called "identity", and how horrifying children are, and let's not forget castles. Castles are hella scary!

Meanwhile, here's a synopsis of one of Lewis Carroll's later diaries from The Lewis Carroll Society:

A number of significant events in Dodgson’s life are described in this journal. His investigation of symbolic logic continued and he took the opportunity to offer lectures at the Oxford Girls’ High School, sharing his ideas with young people. At Christ Church, he accepted the role of Curator of the Common Room, a position that required much time, trouble and effort. He transformed the organisational procedures and spent an enormous amount of time devising new accounting systems, re-organising the wine cellars and carrying out regular audits, improving the comfort and service for his fellow colleagues, and generally working well beyond the call of duty. This was his only college position apart from his former lectureship and a brief period as sub-librarian, and he seemed determined to carry it out to the best of his abilities. Finally, he achieved his ambition to see Alice dramatised for the stage, and in this he was strongly supported by Henry Savile Clarke, who wrote the libretto, and Walter Slaughter, who composed the music. Somewhere between a pantomime and an operetta, this musical dramatisation became extremely popular with audiences around the country and repeat performances were well attended by families. The play soon became a standard Christmas feature, especially in London. Dodgson continued to view his vows as a deacon of the Church of England seriously, and preached on a number of occasions at St. Mary’s, Guildford, and in Oxford. During this period he devised a number of puzzles and games, and invented the “nyctograph” for writing in the dark.

That is some spoooooooooky sh********, Marilyn!

Last edited by softgrey; 04-09-2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: profanity
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
carroll, lewis, phantasmagoria, visions