How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof
I never saw a single episode of that show. once i was ashamed, now i'm sort of proud. but it's actually shameful cause i should be getting cable or something at this point.
I also have never seen a single episode. Until recently I had never seen Friends and I'm proud to say that I still haven't seen Jerry Springer, ever. Go team!

18-08-2005
living in the sprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by purexelegance
totally agreed with you sunkist,
she is soooo immature. it's like GROW UP. gosh. i don't understand why people like her at all.

and sjp is UGLY.
I think that just really didn't help your point :p

.. I like sex and the city, not the best thing EVER, but I do find it wholly entertaining.

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen
18-08-2005
front row

^Agree!!
And SJP is not ugly, I think she's beautiful, each person is beautiful. Differently

I like SAtC, thou must agree it was overrated but I found it quite funny and entertaining...
I remember clapping my hands on the last season where she wears such bloomy dress in Paris. All I was thinking was, Ohgah, she walks in that thing??

18-08-2005
trendsetter

i dont know i dont mean to offend anyone but...

if she does have the personality she does in sex and the city,

it would make me think she's ugly.

no offense.

im not saying she's really ugly but ungh. she's not absolutely as flawless as everyone says.

i don't think you're worth a second glance.
18-08-2005
backstage pass

omg, big fan here. I love it because it is so out there and completely unrealistic. My tv style is not wanting to watch my life portrayed on tv.

If the fifth character wasnt NYC, I wouldnt know if it would be any good.

I love that Carrie wore things that were crazy and wouldnt be worn by anyone in the real world. I do agree that Carrie became annoying from season 4 on. I can barely stand her in season 5. I dont think SJP is attractive, but she can look good if you know what I mean. I do like Carrie but Miranda is my absolute fav character. Her style and hair and makeup from season 2 are my fav. I hate the later yrs.

IRL, SJP is so annoying! If you saw her on Larry King, you will know what I mean. She couldnt answer a question to save her life.

18-08-2005
front row

i dont get what there is to discuss... it's a TV show and it's out of production... in the end that's all it is: a tv show

Pureelegance, you say:She should've stayed with him but she ends up with big.

Perhaps, in a perfect world, she would have stayed with Aidan. But, as you've put it, the character of Carrie ISN'T perfect. She makes mistakes. And, as we all know, in real life, things don't always go as they ought to

You put the show down for Carrie being irresponsible, for spending too much $$ on shoes ($$ her character ought not have)... for wrongly portraying new yorkers. And then you put it down for not having a storybook ending.

I find this whole discussion laughable... you're bashing fiction. And that's funny.

18-08-2005
trendsetter

i dont know i agree with half of what you're saying but the thing is, to other people around the world who watch this show,

it's portraying new yorkers in a certain light.

new yorkers aren't all like that and most people think so now. and it's pissing me off as a new yorker.

i dont want to be thought that way.

18-08-2005
trendsetter

sorry i dont mean to bitch about this but

you're not a new yorker and i don't know you haven't been told that

oh you're a new yorker so you're like carrie and you admire her don't you?

18-08-2005
tfs star

mm.. I agree with Hotpinky =/

front row

perhaps I'm not a new yorker, although I did live in Manhattan for a year, but what's the big deal? I don't think people assume all NYers are like that-- although I think it would be fun if they were... it's like... Full House. I don't assume that all people from San Francisco are like the Tanner family. (HA) Nor do I assume that all New Yorkers are like the characters on Friends!

I think it's a little silly (and annoying to the rest of us) to think that all people are thinking these things about you. Come on. And, on the off chance that they are, so what?

Furthermore, if you do live in New York, how often can you really hear comments about being like the characters on Sex and the City? Unless you travel often, or fraternize with people who are from out-of-state and ignorant... I can't imagine you run into a lot of people who have the misconception that you're just a sex and the city clone. Unless you talk to a lot of people online who ask you questions, in which case, HAHAHA

Additionally, I AM a columnist, and I hear all the time, "Oh, are you trying to be all Sex and the City?" Of course I'm not. But it doens't bother me when people ask or assume that I am... I don't have to prove myself or defend myself to anyone. I am who I am, and I'm not insecure enough to let a little TV show get to me.

Last edited by hotpinky; 18-08-2005 at 08:41 PM. Reason: to add a little something...
18-08-2005
V.I.P.

ok.....im not from New York, so i really don't know if it would it offend me or not.....but in my opinion....sex and the city never made new york look bad or stuck up....it made it look fun and cool and exciting...

now.....i always used to wonder about carries wardrobe as well...it didn't seem to be every realistic but then i thought about it like this....she's single, she doesn't have any kids, and i remember in one episode she said that her rent was very cheap....so with that in mind...i guess we can just assume that the majority of her disposable income went into her clothes....another thing....carrie not only worked at the newspaper, but from what i can remember, she also did freelance work (vogue) and don't forget that she ended up writing a book, although that was toward the end of the series.....

i remeber that there was an interview with pat field ( the costume designer of SATC), i forget where it was, and they asked the same question.....she started off by saying, well....maybe carrie is friends with designers and she borrows alot of the clothes that she wears, since they never repeated outfits on the show, or maybe she has work on the side...and then she said...you know what...who cares how she affords all these clothes and shoes and bags, dont worry about it

yeah...i know i sound like a crazy sex and the city fan.......

either way...like someone before me said...its just a show, right.....

Last edited by jssy4eva; 18-08-2005 at 08:45 PM.
18-08-2005
trendsetter

yeah i guess....

i dont know.

a lot of my friends from out of town are like that. i used to be from michigan but then when i moved all my friends said that.

i know i shouldn't care but it gets annoying after a while.

im just making a generalization from the people i know okay?

im not saying EVERYONE but im just saying between the people i know and stuff.

i hate fighting about these stupid things.

18-08-2005
backstage pass

I just watched 20 minutes of SATC for the first time ever and I have to say I'm not impressed. First of all, I think SJP is very ugly, which is the only reason I like her. I think Miranda (or the one with the pixie haircut, I think it's her) looks positivley emaciated imo. I didn't hate it or anything but I'd perfer not to watch it.

18-08-2005
front row

I catch the reruns now and then I just think the show was pure fun I don't think they were trying to represent anything realistically I find it amusing with some of the smart one-liners and silly situations I just think of it like a regular old sitcom but with better clothes and lots more sex haha Fluff TV

18-08-2005
wiser now

I find it really funny that this thread is in favorites when it started out at a thread to bag the show

That said I love the show

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, sex