How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-09-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpinky
i dont get what there is to discuss... it's a TV show and it's out of production... in the end that's all it is: a tv show
But to some, it was a fabulous TV show. I still watch it religiously. The characters in that show make it fun to be girly.

29-09-2005
trendsetter

i love sex and the city

but the one thing that annoyed me so much was how carrie would always open up show saying something like, "in new york," "wherever you go in new york," blah blah blah in new york"

its like come on now, all those seasons and that is like every episode opener

29-09-2005
scenester

Well as someone said earlier "New York is the fifth character of the show". The city plays an important role and I don't mind the openings.
I'm not from New York, I actually have never been there, but I will someday.
I love Sex an the City. The characters are fun. Carrie is sometimes very immature and ridiculous, but many tv characters are that way. It would be so boring if there were just normal people in movies and series.
If you look at the OC now, or Desperate Housewives, or Friends - how weird are these people!!!
And as a Non-New Yorker I have to say that I don't assume all New Yorkers are like the SatC characters. But still it gives a little impression of that big city lifestyle and it shows beautiful pictures of New York and makes me wanna experience this city for real!
So I just take it as what it is - a fun tv show. And when I come home late from work and I just wanna relax on the couch with a cappuccino I put in a SatC dvd. It makes me laugh and the outfits are stunning and crazy. Who cares that a normal person with thesame job could never afford it? It's not real life and that is what makes it so much fun!

11-10-2005
fashion insider

"I told him to take his d*** outta my a**, or Im gonna s*** on it!" (the tranny outside Samantha's apartment)
"Smoking is fabulous!" (Stanford in Carrie's bedroom)

Two fave SATC quotes!

11-10-2005
front row

I don't see the appeal.

11-10-2005
windowshopping

Well, I think the show is great. Yes, it can be ridiculous, even embarassing if you are watching it with your significant other, but it can address some real issues in relationships. I mean, some of the boyfriends these women had are really out there in our real world, with all of their weird quirks and fetishes. And a lot of the relationship issues you see Carrie typing as the subject of her columns are indeed questions that need answering. Men & women are always playing games and breaking each other's hearts. It is truly a girlie show, but if men watch it (and I know men that have given in to its quirky little charm, who are totally straight by the way) and these men have learned a thing or two about how the female mind can dramatize and be ultra sensitive when it comes to our insecurities in relationships. I think it is enlightening for men. I love the fashion and the confidence these women can exude, especially Samantha and Miranda. Yes, it is JUST A SHOW...but it did prove to be a marketable show to the masses. There has to be abnormal storylines to keep you hooked for 6 seasons. It dealt with real issues too like Cancer and Gay issues, the transition from big city career woman to motherhood in suburbia. And no, NYC has so much more to offer than 4 female characters in an HBO show. It is the crossroad of the world....an abundance of culture, entertainment and the ultimate in American opportunity. I live next door in Connecticut and frequent the city often. It is the greatest city in the world and people who have never been there can only acquaint themselves with New York by watching TV shows such as SaTC. It is sad, it is kind of ignorant..so just ignore it. They can't relate. As for Sarah Jessica...she is OK. Cute little body, her face is beautiful in its own way...she has gorgeous blue eyes and she may not be the classic american beauty, but she truly pulled it off on the show and I find her to be bubbly and like her perfume, "LOVELY". Uniqueness & flaws are part of everyone's beauty. She is a wonderful and talented actress, as well. Hope you all agree. THANKS!

21-11-2005
fashion insider

have to admit i find carrie bradshaw quite irriatating but love her shoe's thou

16-12-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by purexelegance
i think sex and the city doesn't convey an accurate portrayal of american women...

because all american women aren't so annoying and so complicated like that.

we don't have that much drama...

dulci, i'm a new yorker and all new yorkers aren't like that. i think sex and the city is a bad portrayal of us.
But it's a show, for cryin' outloud. Isn't television supposed to be entertainment? A world that you can slip into because it's unlike your own? I wouldn't watch TV if it was anything like my life. That's why there has to be drama and complex characters... Once you think about it, most television shows aren't accurate depictions of anybody...

21-12-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Does anybody have the updated Sex and the City book (Kiss and Tell).. I browsed through it very briefly when I was at Urban Outfitters about a month ago.. I bring it up because the scene of Carrie and Big in the lake reminded me of the section I did read in the book. I'm thinking of picking it up... any comments on it?

21-12-2005
windowshopping

i don't like this tv show because there are too many vulgar scenes, but i find kirsten davis very beautiful but her character it's not really interesting, sarah jessica parker is without charisma and her character is immature for her age.

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Everybody says that Carrie's immature... I've never found her to be this way... <shrug>

21-12-2005
trendsetter

really? that's interesting actually.

i don't know i guess i'm a bit reserved, and this is as all of you have pointed out a drama, so i guess she has a right to be dramatic. she's a character after all.

but the thing is, i don't think she portrays a woman in real life. i absolutely understand that it's a show and it's not suppose to be parallel to real life, but i think it's a bit unrealistic.

first of all, she has an apartment that is relatively large, which with her salary, would be impossible to pay.

second of all, her shoe collection is massive and is probably worth 1/2 a million (i read this in time magazine or something i think) and in real life, a vogue writer wouldn't afford such a thing.

i think she is immature, because for example, when she went to paris with the russian, she tagged along and got all of these expensive objects showered at her, but she still complained and broke it off after telling him that he never spends time with her. i think that's immature.

i understand that she was a bit down that the russian wasn't paying attention, but at the museum scene, he was just concentrating on work not ignoring her outright.

i don't think you're worth a second glance.
21-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiangsi1980
Well, I'll just look at Sex and City for what it is - just a TV show

I must admit that SJP's character acts a bit too cutesy for her age, but I really like the clothes she worn in the sixth (last) season, which imho, was the best stylistically
I agree
The clothes she wore in the last season were better than all the other cities..
season 6 got mature and like you said it's just a TV show..I don't think it portrays NY women or Women in any sense. We are all individuals.
I watched it mainly for fashion..Loved the clothes

trendsetter

she definitely has great clothes....

i can't believe she gets to keep all of them!

i don't think you're worth a second glance.
21-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpinky
perhaps I'm not a new yorker, although I did live in Manhattan for a year, but what's the big deal? I don't think people assume all NYers are like that-- although I think it would be fun if they were... it's like... Full House. I don't assume that all people from San Francisco are like the Tanner family. (HA) Nor do I assume that all New Yorkers are like the characters on Friends!

I think it's a little silly (and annoying to the rest of us) to think that all people are thinking these things about you. Come on. And, on the off chance that they are, so what?

Furthermore, if you do live in New York, how often can you really hear comments about being like the characters on Sex and the City? Unless you travel often, or fraternize with people who are from out-of-state and ignorant... I can't imagine you run into a lot of people who have the misconception that you're just a sex and the city clone. Unless you talk to a lot of people online who ask you questions, in which case, HAHAHA

Additionally, I AM a columnist, and I hear all the time, "Oh, are you trying to be all Sex and the City?" Of course I'm not. But it doens't bother me when people ask or assume that I am... I don't have to prove myself or defend myself to anyone. I am who I am, and I'm not insecure enough to let a little TV show get to me.
Well said..You are who you are!
We all are..Nobody can define you but yourself

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, sex