How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
21-12-2005
  46
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: femme
Posts: 14,683
I think all the comments on the show being unrealistic are silly.. really, most shows once you think about it, are unrealistic... that's what made this show so great. The extremes...

  Reply With Quote
 
22-12-2005
  47
V.I.P.
 
oolie coco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: if i'm there, it's party time!
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Everybody says that Carrie's immature... I've never found her to be this way... <shrug>
The thing that annoyed me the most was how they made Carrie SO self-absorbed, and SO selfish.

There are sooo many examples, but basically from Seasons 3 and on it was like, any table scene would play out exactly like this: Someone brings up a problem they're having, and Carrie INTERRUPTS and takes over the floor by talking about a really trivial problem for the rest of the whole time, and everyone else has to listen.

Problems that the other girls had:
- Charlotte's husband did not want to have sex with her- she married the wrong man
- the new man that Charlotte wants to marry - Harry - dumps her
- Charlotte has a miscarriage
- Sam has cancer
- Sam fears she might have Aids
- Miranda is pregnant and doesn't know what to do
etc.

Problems that Carrie complained about
- My Russian boyfriend is too romantic with me
- I lost my shoes
- My boyfriend wants to marry me
- My boyfriend wants to buy my apartment
- my exboyfriend wants to buy my apartment

OH GOODDDD LOOOOORRD

One of the best examples is when Charlotte wants to announce she's engaged to Harry. This is a BIG deal. Last thing they heard, Harry had dumped her and broken her heart and this was the man she KNEW she wanted to spend her life with. Then he sees her at the jewish dating function and proposes! Plus, CHarlotte has been obsessed with getting married all of her life.

Guess what Carrie does? She brings the goddamn post-it to dinner that Berger dumped her on, and when Charlotte shows them the engagement ring, Carrie SLAPS her hand with the post it and says "Paper covers rock."

Oh lorrrrrrrrd. Instead of caring about her friend's engagement, she whines about how she wants to get high and how Berger dumped her even though she wanted to dump him too.

And then when she DID pay attention to the engagement, she interrupts some random woman's engagement party to talk about Charlotte?!??!?!!? Why???????

Anytime anyone had a REAL problem to talk about, Carrie would interrupt and whine about something really annoying. If I think of more examples, I'll tell you.

  Reply With Quote
22-12-2005
  48
V.I.P.
 
oolie coco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: if i'm there, it's party time!
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I think all the comments on the show being unrealistic are silly.. really, most shows once you think about it, are unrealistic... that's what made this show so great. The extremes...
Some people like television to relate to, and that's not silly. Some people like television that shows them the pain and lifestyles and relationships that they experience are normal and common among the human population, and that's not silly . I want to see people on television that are like me and my friends... and that's not silly.

  Reply With Quote
22-12-2005
  49
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: femme
Posts: 14,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by oolie coco
I want to see people on television that are like me and my friends... and that's not silly.
No, that's not silly... but that's called reality TV.

I watch this show and don't even think of comparing my life or how life really is with the show. It's pointless to do that. I watch it, I love it, and realize they are characters that are entertaining. The fact that I can't relate to them is what makes it so great to watch the show, or any show... it's my entertainment, it's my chance to step away from my life.

And you mentioned a few points on Carrie... the writers have her chime in simply to keep the story line going. For instance, with Charlotte and her getting married... that keeps the viewer for about a minute... but they can't just focus the show on only Charlotte. I'm sure you've noticed that whenever the girls eat together, one will be talking about something, and then another will bring up something completely different.

Most television shows are catered to its viewers. I watch drama on television because, personally, I don't like drama in my real life...

  Reply With Quote
22-12-2005
  50
trendsetter
 
purexelegance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in my head
Gender: femme
Posts: 941
hmm i completely understand erin, but the thing is, i don't like reality tv. so i enjoy watching realistic drama. does that make sense?

i'm not really a person who can sit back and watch a show that is just too unrealistic for me.

__________________
now that i can see you,

i don't think you're worth a second glance.
  Reply With Quote
23-12-2005
  51
V.I.P.
 
oolie coco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: if i'm there, it's party time!
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,980
I completely agree. I enjoy shows that I can relate to somehow. If I can't relate, it's boring.

  Reply With Quote
23-12-2005
  52
V.I.P.
 
MulletProof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 24,769
i started watching the show just for the sake of it (and to have a real opinion about it) and i actually find it pretty boring , apart from the bad acting and terrible scripts, it's almost like reading an article on cosmopolitan, which i'm sure a lot of people find entertaining but i dont..maybe because i just cant identify with anything at all..

__________________
Metal teeth of carousels.
  Reply With Quote
23-12-2005
  53
V.I.P.
 
twilight fairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,044
I agree with Mullet. I watched one episode and pretty much cringed throughout most of it for its immature/pervy humour, bad acting and primitive storyline..

__________________
L'esthétique.

Last edited by twilight fairy; 23-12-2005 at 06:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
24-12-2005
  54
V.I.P.
 
oolie coco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: if i'm there, it's party time!
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,980
For the last few years, the stupid puns and Carrie's awful jokes were desperately trying to ruin whatever good was left of the show (basically, the other 3 actors).

  Reply With Quote
13-01-2006
  55
rising star
 
SarahJayne87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: uk
Gender: femme
Posts: 116
omg im so shockd
I looove sex and the city i think its really great, I just brought the shoebox (all the episodes) so im going though it all at the moment with my friend and we love it. I cant believe so many people hate it.


O yeh just to let you know im from england and i dont know any new yorkers, iv been to new york twice and been other places in america and i totally dont compare you to them.

  Reply With Quote
14-01-2006
  56
trendsetter
 
nat_attak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Where the sidewalk ends
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,485
i miss sex and the city. it was one of my fav shows. i thought it was very humorous and just out there in a sense. i dont' take the show seriously, but i still enjoy it very much. i don't understand why people say 'desparate house wives' is the new sex and the city. they're totally different. 'desparate house wives' reminds me of night time soap opera.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
14-01-2006
  57
rising star
 
SarahJayne87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: uk
Gender: femme
Posts: 116
i also love DHW but it is totally different to SATC

  Reply With Quote
14-01-2006
  58
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: femme
Posts: 14,683
^ Totally. Quite honestly, DHW does nothing for me. Sex and the City is very much more.. geared to me, I think.

  Reply With Quote
14-01-2006
  59
V.I.P.
 
Tinuviel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: button moon
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,739
i miss SATC too, loved their humor. DHW has nothing on them.

__________________
secrets in her smile
  Reply With Quote
15-01-2006
  60
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oolie coco
The thing that annoyed me the most was how they made Carrie SO self-absorbed, and SO selfish.

There are sooo many examples, but basically from Seasons 3 and on it was like, any table scene would play out exactly like this: Someone brings up a problem they're having, and Carrie INTERRUPTS and takes over the floor by talking about a really trivial problem for the rest of the whole time, and everyone else has to listen.

Problems that the other girls had:
- Charlotte's husband did not want to have sex with her- she married the wrong man
- the new man that Charlotte wants to marry - Harry - dumps her
- Charlotte has a miscarriage
- Sam has cancer
- Sam fears she might have Aids
- Miranda is pregnant and doesn't know what to do
etc.

Problems that Carrie complained about
- My Russian boyfriend is too romantic with me
- I lost my shoes
- My boyfriend wants to marry me
- My boyfriend wants to buy my apartment
- my exboyfriend wants to buy my apartment

OH GOODDDD LOOOOORRD

One of the best examples is when Charlotte wants to announce she's engaged to Harry. This is a BIG deal. Last thing they heard, Harry had dumped her and broken her heart and this was the man she KNEW she wanted to spend her life with. Then he sees her at the jewish dating function and proposes! Plus, CHarlotte has been obsessed with getting married all of her life.

Guess what Carrie does? She brings the goddamn post-it to dinner that Berger dumped her on, and when Charlotte shows them the engagement ring, Carrie SLAPS her hand with the post it and says "Paper covers rock."

Oh lorrrrrrrrd. Instead of caring about her friend's engagement, she whines about how she wants to get high and how Berger dumped her even though she wanted to dump him too.

And then when she DID pay attention to the engagement, she interrupts some random woman's engagement party to talk about Charlotte?!??!?!!? Why???????

Anytime anyone had a REAL problem to talk about, Carrie would interrupt and whine about something really annoying. If I think of more examples, I'll tell you.
I am in 100% agreement with this post. By the end of the series, Carrie had become THE most selfish, self-absorbed pain in the *** ever. It would infuriate me the way she would interrupt her friends to make "clever" little "quips" about herself and her own issues. Bad writing, folks! Close women friends are not like that. Close women friends listen and empathize. Women who truly love and care about each other do not try to "one-up" each other along the lines of the "paper covers rock" conversation mentioned above.

Also, the way Carrie was with men became absolutely nauseating toward the end. At the beginning of the series, she seemed much more honest and comfortable in her own skin. In the last couple seasons, it was all about cutesy talk and, again, the "clever" little "quips" and sound bytes. She was no longer an intelligent, confident woman having real conversations with men. She became this coy, whining, eyelash-batting, baby-talking idiot. I was SO disappointed in the writers (and sort of in SJP) for that.

I really feel that what started out as a really interesting and edgy show just degenerated into cliched nonsense after a while.

Still, it had its funny and touching moments, and I watch the reruns religiously, because for all the annoying aspects of it, it's still entertaining.


  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, sex
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.