How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-01-2011
fashion icon

I thought US Skins was okay and I'll probably keep watching. The only thing I disliked was some of the dialogue was too British-- Americans don't talk the way some of the characters were talking. I also didn't like the US Effy. She's not very attractive and it will be hard to figure out why every boy on the planet falls in love with her if they mirror the UK skins plotlines.

22-01-2011
backstage pass

I don't really see the point of watching US Skins if I've already watched UK Skins since they chose the exact same plot and characters, you already know what's gonna happen even if there are slight differences.. I would probably have watched it if they had invented brand new characters and storylines, but where's the creativity here ? Is it that complicated to create something on your own ?

However, I gave it a try. And it was pretty lame, which is a shame because most actors have a potential, like Cadie, Chris, Tea, Stanley,.. except Michelle and Daisy (aka Jal). Jal was one of my favourite characters and the US version doesn't do her any justice. I still don't know what to think about Tony, he was convincing sometimes but he lacks a bit of charisma for that part, and he and Michelle make an odd couple.

But overall, despite some skills, they all looked like they had a pickle up the a*s. Probably because there were too many restrictions. I mean Skins is about decadence, sometimes vulgarity, not politically correct and well, that was just the opposite. Or worse, there were some attempts but quickly bottled up, which is just wrong, if you wanna work it you've got to do it thoroughly.

Needless to say I probably won't watch the other episodes, unless I have 40 minutes to kill.

oh and why do they all insist on wearing t shirts when it's snowing ?

Last edited by CielDeLit; 22-01-2011 at 12:08 PM.
23-01-2011
fashion icon

^Only two of the episodes (one was the pilot)will mirror UK plotlines. The rest will be original. There's no way I would watch if all the stories were the same.

23-01-2011
V.I.P.

US Skins simply sucked.
I mean if you're going to basically replicated the show, why not keep everything the same? What I personally hated is how they replaced Maxxie with that one lesbian cheerleader. Everybody loves Maxxie, but unfortunately they just had to change his character. . And not that it's a gay or lesbian issue, but I feel like since the show is targeting US viewers (well the US Version), I guess they had to change Maxxie to a lesbian which does ultimately seem more acceptable in showing on television. Sad, overall.
But anyways....
Cassie's new character annoys the hell out of me. I mean she was a bit of an air head and was always bit positive...well at least compared to the US Cassie, which just seemed overall depressing with her issues. Bad casting there. I also hate the new Sid. At least the UK Sid was a tad bit attractive. Oh gawd.....bad casting for Effy.....bad casting for Chris (unfortunately, MTV couldn't get at least an attractive guy to play him)....ugh yeah it sucked. It's just funny how practically everyone I know is joining the bandwagon and loving this. If only they knew how the good the original one is.

backstage pass

I think US Chris is cute, more than UK Chris ( I used to find him hot but now that I've rewatched it not so much, his acting wasn't that great either). But nevermind, the worse casting has to be Effy definitely..even though it's hard to find someone as gorgeous and charismatic as Kaya.
I think Tea (the lesbian) was OK but I wonder what they'll make of her, since there won't be the boy/boy ambuiguity that existed between Anwar and Maxxie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
^Only two of the episodes (one was the pilot)will mirror UK plotlines. The rest will be original. There's no way I would watch if all the stories were the same.
Thanks for the information ! Still I don't know if I'll watch it since I disliked the way it was filmed, the acting,..maybe I will if the new UK Skins (series 5) sucks.

23-01-2011
fashion icon

I actually like the US Cassie (Cadie). It seems the US character will be darker personality-wise.

They really should have gotten some actual American teens to go over the dialogue. I've never heard drugs referred to as "narcotics" outside of movies about drug trafficking.

24-01-2011
tfs star

Apparently, no Cassie in Skins movie.

24-01-2011
PrettySmileyStew ♥

Awww thats disappointing..
I liked Cassie

btw, theres a lot of heat forming over the new US Skins isnt there ? companies are pulling their ads, they have to cut out a scene because a 17 yo is running the streets naked...

I dont even know why they bothered to make a US Skins.. the censorship on shows in the states is ridiculous..

26-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourmefashion View Post
Awww thats disappointing..
I liked Cassie

btw, theres a lot of heat forming over the new US Skins isnt there ? companies are pulling their ads, they have to cut out a scene because a 17 yo is running the streets naked...

I dont even know why they bothered to make a US Skins.. the censorship on shows in the states is ridiculous..
That was my biggest issue when I first heard about the US Skins. BBC America cuts out a lot of the racy scenes and the cursing when they show the original UK version of Skins. I don't understand why Skins, a fictional show, causes companies to pull their ads when MTV runs reality shows like Jersey Shore where the behavior is just as lewd and vulgar but ads aren't pulled for that show.

Oh well, I guess this just proves what we've all thought about the US Skins: EPIC FAIL!!!

PrettySmileyStew ♥

i havent seen it yet, and i really honestly dont plan on watching it at all.

27-01-2011
trendsetter

The first episode of the remake was rubbish, but episode 2 was an improvement, pockets of schmaltziness notwithstanding. The actress who played Tea is not only the most attractive girl of the cast (honestly, she could wipe the floor with the girl who plays Michelle), but can also emote surprisingly well. Pity, same can't be said about the rest of the cast. One of the reasons why the original Skins worked so well, despite its unapologetic OOT-ness and occasional implausibility is because the characters were convincingly portrayed by the actors insofar as the characters have become synonymous with the actors who played them. I can't see anyone but Mike Bailey as Sid, I can't see anyone but Joe Dempsey as Chris, and I can't see anyone but Hannah Murray as Cassie. The guy who plays Tony is not only rather unattractive, but is way out of his depth saddled with the character of Tony. Sid is my favourite character of all four seasons of Skins, and the guy who plays Stanley (why the change of name BTW? I know America is a lot more ethnically diverse than the UK, so it makes sense to have an Italian surname than an Anglican surname, but the change of the first names of some of the characters defeats me) is a poor actor. I don't for a moment believe he'll be able to do justice to Sid's vulnerability and haplessness. And the girl who plays Cadie should've been told that there's nuance to be found even in Cassie's blankest of stares.

It isn't so much the writing or the occasional infidelity to the original than the poor casting combined with poor acting which makes this so bad. The original (only the first two series; the third and fourth were pants) worked because scratching beneath the hedonism and the debauchery, there was an underlying skein of pathos and poignancy and melancholy which people could relate to. There's no overt moralising, but the fact that none of the characters are exactly happy people is something that's subtle yet inescapable (and something which America in general doesn't seem to grasp, given the response from the advertisers and the drop in the viewership and the furore raised by the conservatives). During the course of the series, some of the characters changed (Tony) while some remained more or less the same, but the overarching fact is that as a viewer you grew to really care for or at least understand the characters. As far as the US Skins is concerned, I couldn't care less about them, and this, I think, is the show's greatest failing.

Last edited by pavonine; 27-01-2011 at 02:58 PM.
27-01-2011
PrettySmileyStew ♥

I feel like American's aren't ready to accept this kind of show. I mean pretty much all of the advertisers are pulling out because of the racy content the show has. It's having more problems then it really needs to have because American's are a bunch of prudes

27-01-2011
V.I.P.

The original skins first 2 seasons were one of the greatest shows out there. After, not so great.

I haven't watched yet any of the us episodes. Going to do that def.later on.

27-01-2011
fashion icon

I think it's a myth American's are prudes. Glee has been dealing with much more controversial topics-- coming out, actual lesbian make-out sessions. Heck one of the high school students was a gigolo. Shows like True Blood and Californication are loaded with sex and debauchery and they are big hits.

The advertisers aren't pulling out because Americans are demanding it. They're cowering to a few politically powerful conservative groups. Conservatives have a strong voice and a lot of clout in the U.S. despite being a relative minority.

The ratings drop had more to do with the fact the second episode didn't have a lead-in to Jersey shore to boost the ratings. This show would have been a better fit on a network like Showtime or HBO where controversial topics and racy plotlines are the norm. It's hard to get a scripted drama to be a hit in the U.S. if it isn't about hospitals or crime scene investigations. Maybe if one of the teens on Skins was a vampire....

Last edited by loladonna; 27-01-2011 at 06:03 PM.
27-01-2011
PrettySmileyStew ♥

I think because Glee is a comedy and a musical, people don't see it the same way they would see Skins..

they are two completely different shows in two different genres, so they cant really be compared..
thats my opinion anyway..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
skins