How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajrekshn View Post
tbh, i find kristen the only one with the consistent acting throughout the movie and her accent was the only one going on solidly (just so we're clear, till this day the only role i find kristen's acting good was in the runaways and now in this). i was legit surprised how well she did it having in mind twilight and her other work. if anything else (since acting is a subjective thing), her accent was spot on so i really don't get the criticism of it (and from the reviews i've read, if anything, they did say only positive stuff about it).
charlize was not so good cus she was all over the place with the constant yelling so at points she seemed plain silly, chris's accent was awful and all over the place (then again, i found thor to be weakest of the dc comics movies due to his and natalie's acting). in general, i think it's just the rookie direction and possibly not knowing how to direct actors with a script that had holes?! personally, i just started thinking about it after a while, the whole movie just doesn't stick with you after you leave the cinema....

the sequels i saw talked about year ago had snow white in plan - i think they also started with snow white and .... but i can't remember how they were called. i can see where it could be heading with her - probably in regards to her reigning the kingdom and obstacles she might have...it's not hard to imagine, tbh, but that's just me obv. i think kristen did sign up for a possible trilogy.
She was supposed to be completely hysterical. She was not supposed to be Meryl Streep scary in the devil wears Prada but completely mad/nut case. The problem is the way the whole thing was put together. You had SW+Huntsam doing their stuff - Charlize screaming like a mad woman - SW/Prince doing their thing - Charlize screaming like a mad woman. Kristen accent was def better than Charlize but then...could someone record how much/how long she talked in the entire movie? The script was flawed, the director had just too much on his hands or a first time and Universal over-hyped it and now word of mouth is killing it...

03-06-2012
V.I.P.

she is a mad woman, def, but yelling isn't the only way of portraying the madness. IMO, quite the opposite, it seems like the easy way out in portraying and it started being silly not scary or mad, just plain silly. at one point she started yelling in the middle of the sentence and it was so out of place that it legit brought giggles in the theater from the people sitting around me and i'm not to sure charlize would've been pleased with that reaction nor that it was her intention.

actually, no one spoke much in the entire movie, everyone only had their bits and pieces which indeed is something that cracked the flow of the movie (what i found the worst thing like i said in my initial post on the movie) and made accent mistakes quite apparent. i don't even know what chris' accent was - aussie going fro irish and then kinda scottish?!

V.I.P.

^i've heard good stuff about Chris' accent.

90% of all reviews i've read (and i've read tons) had Kristen as the weakest link (acting wise) with the script and directing being major issues as well.

03-06-2012
V.I.P.

oh well, i guess we've read different reviews then (cus i don't take seriously those that start with a mention of twilight). agree to disagree.

i think there's already a circulating version on the internet of the movie if you're interested.

EDIT: i forgot to add earlier to that THR's snippet Pixie posted - yeah, my theater had 50-50 ratio when it comes to women-men. everyone looked older that me, tho.

Last edited by dajrekshn; 03-06-2012 at 02:48 PM.
03-06-2012
V.I.P.

none of the ones i read mentioned Twilight just that Kristen was the same mopeshow. many even saw that as as positive thing as it worked for the character at first, she just couldn't pull off the "leader of men" part at all (according to all reviews i've read, they were unanimous regarding that point)

^thanks for the heads up, but i think i'll wait for a better version, i hate cam versions.

03-06-2012
scenester

I liked the movie,it could have used a bit of levity to break up the darkness but overall it was okay. Kristen's reviews seem to me mixed from critics that I personally have read but I enjoy watching the camera on her face, she (to me) has a very expressive face, twitches and all.

03-06-2012
V.I.P.

Alvie - i don't think anyone buys snow white as someone who's leader of the men (and i don't think that was even the aim), director even didn't want to put her through fighting practices, she was just getting the pieces and bits of it so it looks natural as she was in a prison her whole life and never even had the chance to fight. she's a sign of a light/life and that's why they go with her as their main motivation is to overthrow ravenna who destroyed everything. no joan of arc march persona. she's just someone who sparkled the idea of positivity (again, life) and from that perspective, i didn't even see a sparkle of mopeshow, just someone who held her head high despite of everything waiting for real moment to arrive (which is a motive that can easily be connected to "her army" and their wait too).

also, on a tehnical side of her acting - not one excessive blinking thing or lip biting thing happened for the first time ever, i think.

Last edited by dajrekshn; 03-06-2012 at 03:13 PM.
03-06-2012
V.I.P.

^ that doesn't mean that she has acting chops though, tha should be a given

and i meant the speech...but i should just watch the movie, as i can only go on others' impressions. maybe she will blow me out of the water

03-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvedansen View Post
^ that doesn't mean that she has acting chops though, tha should be a given

and i meant the speech...but i should just watch the movie, as i can only go on others' impressions. maybe she will blow me out of the water
no i know, i just wanted to mention that cus it's always mentioned in regards to her acting. as i said - tehnical side of it. for the first time, after runaways, i saw an actual emotions conveyed by her. was bit struck/surprised to say the least.

yeah, i know you were referring to the speech in particular, but i think that too much weight on it is put due to this "leader of the men" perspective. it's just a sparkle, no a real motivational speech. it looked like, for me anyway, like something that was needed to be said and just carry on (hence me having goosebumps while she said it ).

Last edited by dajrekshn; 03-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.
03-06-2012
tfs star

I haven't seen the movie yet because it hasn't reached my shores but from the reviews I have read it seems like Kristen did a credible job. Even some of the English critics said her accent was good. I have only read a few though and clearly their are some reviews out there that think the opposite.

03-06-2012
fashion insider

I personally think she was miscast as Snow White to be honest. I didn't see the softness and compassionate side to Snow that I expected despite there being some opportunity to. If we compare it to Once Upon A Time, something that is more like SWATH than Mirror Mirror, Ginniffer manages to do that. She's feisty and kick *** and at the same time you can believe that she can charm everyone and make everyone fall in love with her and that is what the character of Snow White essentially is. Overall I think in terms of live action Snow White films (not animated) the one with Miranda Richardson and Kristin Kreuk is the best.

ETA I think I should add I wasn't keen on Charlize either when she was speaking. Her accent was awful, she did not need to over enunciate everything she said and the screeching wore thin after a while. The scenes where she was more reflective were better.

Last edited by pixiedust1603; 03-06-2012 at 03:44 PM.
03-06-2012
V.I.P.

I saw the film today and it was fine..not amazing, not bad. The costumes, special effects and set were spectacular. Kristen and Chris' acting were good too. I really don't get the bashing, especially on Stewart. She was expressive, her accent was good, I believed her as a fighting Snow..
On the bad side for me was first and foremost, the directing! Very very bad with many unnecessary slow motion and other weird stuff and secondly, Charlize's over acting and constant screaming. Character development was lacking too, I agree. All in all a 7/10

Last edited by melfreya; 03-06-2012 at 05:26 PM.
03-06-2012
rising star

She was definitely miscast for the role. The only good things about her performance was the lack of fidgeting, stuttering, or doing any of her normal ticks. Her accent imo was not good, I barely heard it in some spots, and she barely even spoke. She had one expression on her face with her mouth open the whole time, with the exception of a smile or two. I think an example of this is when the huntsman tears her skirt off, her expression did not change one bit to show horror to justify him then telling her "don't flatter yourself". She didn't even flinch or look scared or horrified by it. She was just there with her mouth open.

Chris was the only one that was really good. Charlize was pure camp and overacted in a couple of scenes.

The movie as a whole was entertaining, but very choppy. She got one lesson from the huntsman for about 3 seconds on how to use the knife and suddenly she can fight? They barely even spoke to each other and suddenly they're in love? I would want to see a sequel as there have been talk about it concentrating on the huntsman, but with someone else as Snow.

06-06-2012
fashion icon

Watched the film, loved it. Kristen and Charlize were both great. I started loving K. Stewart, she is such a cutie.

07-06-2012
V.I.P.

Lol. I started this thread and I haven't seen either Snow White yet. All the other fairy tale films are still on the horizon as well and apparently "Once Upon A Time" is very popular, so I don't see this craze slowing down anytime soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
film, snow, thread, white