How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

Can't wait for this one. I've become a fan of her aesthetic I like the slow paced feeling of the trailer, kinda reminds me to Lost In Translation which is simple in story but has an incredible emotional depth.

Oh, and Elle Fanning looks so beautiful here.

03-09-2010
trendsetter

It premiered at Venice today, and the reviews have been mostly positive. There's two on the facebook page for the film:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sofia-...E/179574506739

tfs star

I'm so excited! I wish I didn't have to wait for december

02-01-2011
trendsetter

Has anyone else seen this yet? I LOVED it.

V.I.P.

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was different from all her films. I didn't mind that it was slow paced like others did (Sofia's films aren't for everyone). The guy is so fricken lonely he really doesn't know what he's doing. The plaster caster scene was especially interesting. It got me thinking about his situation while the camera moved in. I've read references to Heath Ledger for Johnny and there maybe something to it. I also liked that she showed what LA really looks like. It's not that pretty. I swear they photoshop it on the entertainment news shows.

Stephen and Elle were great. Stephen is so underrated (this is the guy that Leo admits to being jealous of). The one thing that surprised me was how much pop music was in it. I was expecting it to be all indie stuff from Phoenix. I also kept on saying in my head "It's Erin, It's Angela, what's her name, It's Jessica, It's Nicole". WTF at all these models lol. Oh and the Twilight bit was funny. I was the only one who giggled.

03-01-2011
front row

I saw it last week, and enjoyed it too- it's not a film everyone will like, but like Label Basher says, Sofia's films never are. It's a near-perfect mood piece, and it'd be very easy to let a film with so many silences become dull, but this isn't. Honestly, I think this is going to be one of the underrated gems of the year- people are more tolerant of Black Swan's overwroughtness than of this one's quiet.

I don't understand why David Edelstein had to point out that Sofia's is not the universal human condition, I don't see any similar criticism of all the wanky-old-man dramas that usually dominate the Oscars/box office.

03-01-2011
tfs star

I loved it. From things I'd been hearing I was prepared for it to be awkwardly slow in some scenes, but it felt almost snappy compared to some things I've seen! It wasn't that long in those scenes at all.
Elle was wonderful, no surprise. I loved when she said NO to the guy wanting to look at her diary. Loved the ice-skating scene.
I always find with Sofia's films that I have to see them once to get my bearings, and then see them again to really enjoy them to the fullest. Only seen this once so far though.
The look on Stephen's face in the very last moment before it ended is still in my mind..

03-01-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla_ View Post
I don't understand why David Edelstein had to point out that Sofia's is not the universal human condition, I don't see any similar criticism of all the wanky-old-man dramas that usually dominate the Oscars/box office.
totally agree

04-01-2011
!

well i thought the film was awful. it dragged too long and didn't really have a direction or clue as to where she wanted to take the film.in the end it wallowed in mediocrity. spare yourself the trip and rewatch the virgin suicides.

05-01-2011
trendsetter

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=filmjunk

my thoughts:

Johnny Marco stands on a balcony watching the people below. Itís a simple but effective metaphor for Johnnyís detachment from life. Some would call Somewhere insubstantial or lacking in story, but to me, Sofia Coppola has zeroed in on something incredibly interesting and important. The feeling that you donít amount to much of anything is portrayed beautifully in the film, culminating in the heartbreaking ďIím ****ing nothingĒ scene. Whatís so wonderful about the film, though, is that it really isnít one-note. Ultimately, itís not a depressing movie or a very happy one. Itís filled with moments that are a mix of both, just like real life. The naturalism attained in this film is astounding. Sofia lets the camera really see and as a result, we get these great little moments that help develop the characters, bring them down to earth, and again, inject more naturalism into the film. Consider the scene where Johnny sits smoking on the couch. Itís an extended shot, but seeing his little movements, like picking up the pear, helped me to get that much deeper into the film. It helps to break the barrier between film and reality, letting me feel more connected to the characters, like I am seeing them and not just the minimum version of them presented to further the action of the story. The relationship between Johnny and Cleo played out beautifully. No forced moment to be found here, only a sometimes sad, sometimes funny, ultimately hopeful portrait of a man on the verge of either a breakthrough or a breakdown.

Stephen Dorff is incredible in the film. When the camera is focused on an actor for an extended period of time, heís really got to kick it up a notch so that the viewer never catches a glimpse of him ďactingĒ. That Dorff is able to handle this repeatedly and make it look like the easiest thing is a testament to the considerable talent Dorff possesses. He made Johnny, for me, one of the most relateable characters in cinema. Elle Fanning is also wonderful as Cleo, portraying an intelligent, observant girl without ever making her seem precocious. Her chemistry with Dorff was spot on, perfectly displaying both the love and the distance between them.

And of course I canít talk about a Sofia Coppola film without mentioning the filmís technical merits. Harris Savidesí cinematography is quietly, simply beautiful. Los Angeles has never seemed so restrained and lovely before. The costumes arenít showy at all, but they all seemed perfectly chosen to help illustrate the characters. The score, by Phoenix, gives new meaning to the word ďminimalĒ. I loved the hints of music, perfectly matching the purring engine of Johnnyís (for me, instantly iconic) Ferrari. The film beginning and ending with Love Like a Sunset was a wonderful touch, too, especially considering the other links between the two parts of the film. The other songs in the film, particularly ďIíll try anything onceĒ by The Strokes, were used perfectly.

So yes, another masterpiece from Sofia Coppola. There is no film-maker quite like Sofia. Itís so brazen of her to make films the way she does. Her films are all about the moments, the mood, the internal feeling miraculously conveyed to the viewer. Her previous three films moved me in ways most films canít even dream of and this one is no different. How crazy is it that a film as subtle and quiet as this can be such a deeply emotional experience? Perfect.

V.I.P.

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I love Sofia's films too, and I feel kind of sad for those who just don't get her style or subtlety. But then again, we all have different tastes. For me, "Marie Antoinette" was my least favorite, but I still loved it. Her use of modern music and her irreverence about the accents somehow made that film, and Sofia's sympathetic take on the much maligned Queen, more relatable.

I can't wait to see "Somewhere"! A.O. Scott's review in the NYTs was glowing!

05-01-2011
V.I.P.

P.s. I read that Dorff lived at the hotel during filming to make his character even more natural. And before filming Sofia had Stephen pick up Elle at her real school and then hang out with her, like going for ice cream or whatever, so that they could develop a natural demeanor and so Stephen could get a sense of what it feels like to be a parent. No wonder the film comes off so natural.

05-01-2011
V.I.P.

^ If I went to school with Elle I would have DIED. It would have been like Keanu coming to pick up Drew Barrymore when I was a teen in the 90s. Faints.

I LOVE the scene in the pool. The whole segment is my fav plus it ends with the Twilight bit which was hilarious. Johnny is so out of touch that he doesn't even know what Twilight is.

05-01-2011
front row

I saw it about a week ago and I didn't like it too much. Coppola has a very distinct style of filming (obviously, if you've ever seen her previous films). I didnt like the story too much. but the acting was good. Kudos to elle!

06-01-2011
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
I love the inclusion of The Strokes song.
I've been listening to that song ever since I saw it.

The movie was ok, but I think that if someone already dislikes her films... they'll probably dislike her after for this one.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
coppola, sofia