How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-01-2011
i'm almost ready..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I watched Somewhere last night.. what a godawful movie but Elle surely makes you want to endure it till the end. She's divine..
Oh no....was it really that bad?! i've been so looking forward to it..

Last edited by MulletProof; 11-01-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: ** copied Somewhere-related posts from Elle Fanning's thread to continue the discussion here.

11-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
the story is just blah! but their acting are so great! especially elle !

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
To me it was .. I've loved Sofia's previous work but I'm not sure it's been decaying a bit since Marie Antoinette or I've really just sort of 'decoded' her filming style that I can't really take it anymore. I 'get' the course of the film, I think anyone can relate to the emptiness and non-obvious vulnerability of its characters and the complexity of relationships, it's just the way it's filmed what just feels so vapid at times.. and I know everything is autobiographical in one way or another but at this point for me, her films feel like an Alanis Morrisette or Taylor Swift song , she doesn't reveal details that would make you uncomfortable but you can see Sofia through her female lead actress and I don't think I like what I see .. I've been thinking on how that girl/woman (depending on the movie) always looks down on others, especially other female figures in the story.. it's like she's the only person that gets it, she feels a bit ahead of her time, and the rest are just dumb or out of touch with reality (you can see this in all of her films, from the Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation, Marie Antoinette and now Somewhere).. I know that sounds silly and it's more meant to portray something that we all feel in real life sometimes (that we are drowning and the rest are just ), but it's something she insists on revisiting instead of developing and it makes me wonder if that's really how she tends to see others?, I'm missing a bit of humility in her characters and overall stories.

And anyway, that lack of development is quite probably my biggest problem about her, that her films just don't feel creative anymore.. The Virgin Suicides for instance was film that was beautifully shot and it told a story that was rich in characters, perspectives, interpretations, etc.. Lost in Translation followed some of that and succeeded imo.. Marie Antoinette was 70% editorial-worthy shots and 30% the actual life of Marie Antoinette and Somewhere now feels like 90% 'cool shots' and some story added to 'spicy' it up and make it meaningful somehow. When I was watching I couldn't help but relate completely to Stephen Dorff' character and wonder 'am I really that sad that I need to be watching this crap?'.. .

Last edited by MulletProof; 11-01-2011 at 11:54 AM.
13-01-2011
you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla_ View Post
I don't understand why David Edelstein had to point out that Sofia's is not the universal human condition, I don't see any similar criticism of all the wanky-old-man dramas that usually dominate the Oscars/box office.
Actually, that comment of his has been lingering in my head for some time now after reading it. I think it's completely, remarkably spot-on. It's not just that she has an unusual position in life but that she doesn't seem to extend outside of it. So many other criticisms of her style aren't quite right, but that one fits.

14-01-2011
fashion elite

sofia coppola and cc sheffield on the set 'somewhere'

more here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmler...7621656740164/

cc's flickr

V.I.P.

I watched Somewhere last night, and to my surprise.. I actually did like it! I had seen the trailer and had thought it looked pretty good, but then I read some bad reviews and my interest sort of fizzled.
Here's the thing... It was a lot less deeper than I had been expecting. I thought it would be much more intense or pack a greater 'punch' so to speak.. especially in reguards to the ending... and I do understand the criticism that it's a tad pointless. But then, I think that's exactly the theme being conveyed- the pointlessness of this man's life, and the emptiness underlying all the so-called 'fun' things going on in it. I liked the fact that Sofia doesn't necessarily make us feel sorry for him though, that she stays objective.. doesn't sugarcoat, but doesn't over-dramatize either, I found it refreshingly unpretentious in that sense.. ultimately she lets us decide how we feel about him, weather we empathise with his emptiness or not.
I don't think we end up knowing a lot about Johnny in the end, and I do wish she had gone a level deeper with that, but the few moments of tenderness between him & Cleo, it's like we suddenly feel a pulse in this seemingly pulseless man...and it's subtle, but so sweet.
I love LOVE Elle Fanning as Cleo, she is just luminous in the film and a pure ray of light! I can't wait to see more of this girl...I also loved the Twilight reference too, especially with Dakota being in the films.. so cute.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
you can see Sofia through her female lead actress and I don't think I like what I see .. I've been thinking on how that girl/woman (depending on the movie) always looks down on others, especially other female figures in the story.. it's like she's the only person that gets it, she feels a bit ahead of her time, and the rest are just dumb or out of touch with reality (you can see this in all of her films, from the Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation, Marie Antoinette and now Somewhere).. I know that sounds silly and it's more meant to portray something that we all feel in real life sometimes (that we are drowning and the rest are just ), but it's something she insists on revisiting instead of developing and it makes me wonder if that's really how she tends to see others?, I'm missing a bit of humility in her characters and overall stories.

Very interesting thought. I've never really seen it articulated in the way that you have, but I still mostly disagree. Charlotte in Lost in Translation was the only one that really seemed to look down on others and it was addressed in the film. I thought that Sofia was not glorifying her habit of thinking herself above others, but just pointing it out. Lost in Translation had alot of that, I think, and not just with Charlotte but the characters were realistically flawed and we can see how alienated they are and maybe wonder if that is, at least in part, a result of their opinion of others.

I don't remember anything like that in The Virgin Suicides, but it could just be my memory since I haven't seen it in two or three years. Marie Antoinette, as I recall (and I've seen the film like..10-15 times, haha) only looked down on one person and I'd say that how could someone not? Especially a teenager raised as royalty. I think she grew in wisdom as the film progressed and wouldn't have been so condescending to DuBary(sp?) later in the film had she still been there. And I don't remember Cleo being condescending to anyone...

tfs star

for Sofia fans:

29-01-2011
backstage pass

Wow thank you, that video is beautifully made

04-02-2011
rising star

I've seen the movie and really liked it. It's more like Lost in Translations than any other of her work IMO. Very slow and passive. It seems like nothing is happening but the story is there and acting is amazing. The Fanning girls are really talented and it's good to see Stephen back in the film business. In the end highly recommend it escpecially to all the Coppola fans out there!

05-02-2011
V.I.P.

What I liked about this movie? One song maybe and not THAT much, awful boringgggg... to me somewhere goes nowhere

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennalicious View Post
I've seen the movie and really liked it. It's more like Lost in Translations than any other of her work IMO. Very slow and passive. It seems like nothing is happening but the story is there and acting is amazing. The Fanning girls are really talented and it's good to see Stephen back in the film business. In the end highly recommend it escpecially to all the Coppola fans out there!

Well said. Everyone seems to complain about the lack of story. Yes, it's subtle, but there is a clear narrative. Characters grow. There is some resolution.

windowshopping

I read in an interview that she was inspired by photographs and test shots, and after reading that I understood the annoyingly long opening scene.
Apart from that the movie was amazing. The exaggerated length of some shots helped show the contrast between Dorff's celeb life and home life I think. The people I went to hate it didn't like it because there wasn't enough dialogue, but the things that were unsaid where what made it special. I especially liked the ending, when he moved out from the hotel.
Elle Fanning is amazing, and I hope she continues to make great films till she grows old. I watched the Rodarte film not long after Somewhere and it just instilled her skill.

Im suprised there aren't more pictures from the Somewhere site on here! Here is S.C's inspiration/mood board for the movie

Table Tennis

Steven Dorff

Elle

all photos from here

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
coppola, sofia