How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-06-2011
V.I.P.

Switched at Birth
Has any of you seen the pilot of this series?

What were your impressions?

13-06-2011
fashion icon

I've watched it. Personally I quite liked it the show. It's an interesting idea for a show having two girls switched a birth and one of them being deaf. As someone who's hard of hearing its not that often that you see deaf culture portrayed in the media and even less so portrayed in a way which is correct. Often it's just messed up and totally incorrect. So I guess I'm hoping the show will be able to get rid of the misconceptions that people have. And so far I think that it's done a pretty good job. The cast for the show seems pretty good as well so overall I'm looking to watching and seeing how the storyline progresses.

backstage pass

I really like this show. The actors are doing quite well and I love Emmet's character. I've also learned a little bit of sign language, which I find quite interesting.

fashion icon

Love Emmet's character... and the actor who plays him isn't bad looking either. Although am I the only one who finds Bay annoying. I just cannot stand that character/actress.

backstage pass

^ Yeah, I sometimes find her really annoying. That actor who plays Emmet really is cute and he is deaf in real life too.

I feel kinda bad for *Daphne because of the Emmet situation, although it is her fault too (in some way), because he waited long enough for her.*

fashion elite

Quote:
ABC Family Orders 22 More Episodes Of 'Switched At Birth'

ABC Family has ordered 22 more episodes of its new drama series Switched at Birth. The network calls the pickup "back-season", bringing the total first-season order to the show to 32 episodes. Switched at Birth, which debuted on June 10 with for an initial run of 10 episodes, will air its summer finale Aug. 8 and will return with originals in early 2012. Following a strong start, Switched at Birth hit series highs in viewers 12-34 in its most recent airing July 25. It is currently pacing as ABC Family’s No. 2 freshman season ever in total viewers and the 18-34 and 18-49 demos, behind only the freshman season for The Secret Life of the American Teenager. Switched at Birth, starring Katie Leclerc and Vanessa Marano, tells the story of two teenage girls who discover they were accidentally switched as newborns in the hospital. Lizzy Weiss, Paul Stupin and John Ziffren serve as executive producers. There is no word yet on ABC Family's freshman drama series The Nine Lives of Chloe King, whose ratings performance has not been as strong.
deadline.com

11-08-2011
front row

I have been watching the show but I'm not sure if I like it.
I enjoy learning a bit of the sign language, however, I find the acting quite cheap..

fashion insider

I love that show. I don't find Bay annoying, she is reacting the best she can in given situation, but Daphne annoys me, because she is so passive, she is just waiting around for things to happen.

11-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Sean Berdy was born in Boca Raton, Florida.[citation needed] Sean is the son of Terrie and Scott Berdy and brother to Tyler Berdy. Most of his film and television appearances feature his use of American Sign Language.[1] As a sophomore student at the Indiana School for the Deaf, he was named the 2010 Mr. Deaf Teen America, a pageant started in 1999 by the Model Secondary School for the Deaf.[2][3] He also performed with ISD's show choir, Vibrations.
wikipedia

11-08-2011
fashion icon

I also love seeing Marlee Matlin on the show, playing Emmet's mom, she's so cool. And oh yeah, I do feel bad for Daphne but poor Emmet... he got hurt by her... she shouldn't have dragged around his feelings like that.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemina View Post
but Daphne annoys me, because she is so passive, she is just waiting around for things to happen.
well, she's deaf and didn't have a nice childhood...so I kinda understand her, but yeah...you're right, she shouldn't have waited so long with the Emmet thing.

fashion icon

^I don't mean to be rude or anything but what does being deaf have to do with anything? Being deaf isn't any different then having glasses really. People always assume that it's so different and ruins a person's life, but really it's not so bad. But yeah, she didn't necessarily have the "best" childhood you could say but I think her mom raised her well enough.

fashion elite

I don't think Daphne's passive. In the beginning of the series, she actually seemed to handle everything much better than the other characters. I think her being mad at Emmett has more to do with the fact that she feels he's very cynical.

When she started seeing Liam, he was mad because he said deaf/hearing relationships can't work and gave her grief about it, but now he seems to have a different view on it. I really think that if Emmett and Bay would have initiated a relationship right when the series began, her reaction would have been a little different.

12-08-2011
backstage pass

^^ sorry, but I don't think it's the same like wearing glasses and even if it doesn't ruin your life, it makes it a lot harder. And when I said about Daphne's deafness being the reason for how she is, I was more thinking about the negative experience that she made with normal people, their reactions and all. Maybe that explains her behaviour.

and I agree with you about the Emmet/Bay thing, Ochi Chernye.

fashion icon

^Well I guess everyone has their own opinion but I don't think it's ever made my life that much harder then anyone else's. Although, maybe I've had a more positive experience then other deaf/HOH people but overall I don't think that because Daphne is deaf it made her the way she is. Yes, of course it contributes to it but it's not totally about that. She actually handles herself pretty well in most cases with hearing people and even if it bothers her she doesn't completely guard herself from hearing people. She's not like Emmet in that regard, she's willing to befriend people no matter if they are deaf or not.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
birth, switched