How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-04-2010
backstage pass

not exactly japanese but here is what it says

ai rabu sumooru monsutaa Tokyo rabu

I love small monster. Tokyo love.

that's my understanding of this, from the sounds.

unless a native wants to give their input.

14-04-2010
V.I.P.

Yea it's just English written in Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
"On the train, I saw someone who was cosplaying going to a convention."

私は電車で協議会行きのコスプレイヤーを見た。
watashi wa densha de kyougikai iki no cosplayer wo mita.

OR
協議会に行ってるコスプレイヤーを見た is better?
kyougikai ni itteru cosplayer wo mita.
Figured this one out now

18-05-2010
V.I.P.

I need these into Italiano,anybody?

I don't like it very much.Everybody is exhausted.I'm glad we finish it at last.Love you all.

V.I.P.

This is probably too much but, could someone please translate this interview (in German) with Miguel Adrover?? all I understand is that he hates Karl Lagerfeld but I'd very much like to know when is he coming back.. and just what the whole article says. pretty please?.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
This is probably too much but, could someone please translate this interview (in German) with Miguel Adrover?? all I understand is that he hates Karl Lagerfeld but I'd very much like to know when is he coming back.. and just what the whole article says. pretty please?.
"I hate Karl Lagerfeld"

The designer Miguel Adrovar used to be the darling of the fashion scene in New York. Now he is the creative chief (?) of the hessnatur and searches for "the beauty of reality"

The mallorcan fashiondesigner Miguel Adrovar declines the term "Fashion" as out-dated and vacant. "Fashion is just a stupid word that describes nothing. Or if anything it describes shallowness", he said in an interview with sonntaz. He also hates the word "glamour". " Glamour, fashion, all those words : In the end all of them lead to emptyness."

Adrovar himself does not create fashion but clothes. Fashion mass production was made to throw away he says. "Produced cheaply, of low quality, poisoning our ground, manufactured to starvation wages. The pieces do not sustain more than three months, either because they will be out of fashion then or because their quality was too bad.

Adrovar demands the textile and fashion business to radically change their way of thinking and production. Miguel Adrovar, 44, wwas a stardesigner in New York. After the retirement of his money source the Pegasus Apparel Group as a consequence of 9/11, 2005 he went back to his home-isle (:p) Mallorca. There, since 2007, he works as creative director of the great German textile production group hessnatur. The company has transparent social standards in all their production lines and sole uses natural textiles out of organic cotton and other natural fibres.

The allegation that so called "green fashion" would not be sexy does not count in Adrovar's opinion. "I tell you what isn't sexy. There is no beauty without responsibility." Furthermore: "The one who thinks that Paris Hilton is sexy should think about that again."

He does not care about Chanel, Prada, Dior, Gucci and Karl Lagerfeld. "I hate Lagerfel", he says, "and I hate Chanel". He respeects the lifework of Coco Chanel: "But I don't believe that Chanel did anything that is relevant or necessary today."

Adrovar's "beauty of reality" means that the clothes of the 21 century are about reality. It matters how the clothes are made, that they are practical and feel comfortable. You do not have style if you wear Gucci, Prada or Dior. That would only be the try to "buy style", according to Adrovar.

The last bit is something about Adrovar..not really interesting but if you want to have that part translated as well, just tell me.

I didn't read through it a seconf time so there might be mistakes, sorry.

31-05-2010
V.I.P.

thank you so much, Marcel!

V.I.P.

How do you pronounce the vowels with "¨" in swedish?

15-06-2010
V.I.P.

Do you mean Ä and Ö and Å?
It depends, sometimes Ä is pronounced like E, like in ett väder it is said like ett veder.
But then there is en skär which is said more with ä. There are some online dictionaries that helps with pronounciation, so you can listen how the letter ä is said since it's hard to explain it.
Å is basically like normal 'o', so dålig is said more or less like doolig.

V.I.P.

^thanks, I guess it´s like in german...

21-08-2010
V.I.P.

Can I get help with Russian?

Is this « » the same as quotation marks, to mark the title of something?

Here is what I get when I translate it:
[EELMA], [Kherald] 1934. Illustrations to the book. f. R. [Kreytsvalda]. [Sirotkin] millstone.

I wonder what the [ ] is for? I know the first two is the author's name but not sure about the next two.

cap by me
from scan by evgenyii
at livejournal

Last edited by gius; 21-08-2010 at 02:28 AM.
21-08-2010
fashion icon

^yes those « » mark the title and the title of the book translated to English should be 'The orphan's millstone'. And Herald Eelma is Estonian graphic artist who is the illustrator of that book and the author of this book was a famous Estonian writer F. R. Kreutzwald who also wrote Estonian national epic.

I must say that I'm quite surprised that anyone is interested in Estonian literature

21-08-2010
V.I.P.

Estonian literature and Art :p I have a few pictures from the book, and it looks like a really interesting story. Hopefully I can order it

Seems there's a bit of fuss when translating into roman letters. ей in Крейцвальда: I think in German, the pronunciation of 'eu' would be closer to oй. I found an audio example on this page, if you click the audio icon next to Deutsch
And then the 'a' at the end of Крейцвальда

Thank you for all your help!!

23-08-2010
fashion elite

hey everyone, i'm learning chinese for two years but it was then with my friends who were giving me classes and I also learn with a book and mp3 podcast lessons from chinese pod but it there anyone who could give me the title of a good chinese exercice or grammar book or a website they feel is really helpful?

I'm asking since I'll be living in Spain where none of my chinese friends will be there to teach me sooo I'm trying to find a way to keep up with the learning process since I'll be on my own.

Just keep running...

What a fabulous thread! I'm teaching myself French right now so am sure to have some questions down the track. Right now I can't really help with languages other than English, lol, but for any English students I'm more than happy to help with spelling, punctuation and grammar questions.

24-08-2010
scenester

I can teach you my native Indonesian

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, language, teach