How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-05-2011
V.I.P.

I'd love it if somebody who knows french could correct a speech I made? It's quite short but probably with loads of errors

16-05-2011
V.I.P.

How do you say in french "tough girls"?

16-05-2011
V.I.P.

filles durs, perhaps?

front row

can anyone tell me what the expression "to show stripes" mean ? the whole phrase is : and the elephants show stripes. is it any kind of expression ?

16-07-2011
fashion elite

^ I have never heard of the phrase. I've only heard of tigers or zebras showing their stripes meaning that ones true nature/character has come to light.

16-07-2011
front row

thanks for your help. i think it must be something like that, it is used with elephants in a figurative meaning then.

20-07-2011
front row

meaning of the expression "to have a deal to answer for" please ?

20-07-2011
front row

nevermind, i think i got it , this thing of translating random chapters is like walking with a blindfold in your eyes

30-07-2011
fashion icon

So it looks like I'll be required to take a language at my college and they offer French, Spanish, German, or American Sign Language. However, I already know a bit of ASL and even though I love it I don't think it'll be useful in my chosen career path. So I'm thinking I'll take French instead one in part because I love anything French related (and I want to be able to finally read Vogue Paris! ), secondly because it'll be more useful career wise, and lastly because my mom will be able to help me out a little bit because she used to be pretty fluent and even lived in France for a little bit. That said, I was wondering if anyone has advice for other resources to help me learn the language. Because I've studied ASL and Hebrew before but I've always been a bit shaky when it comes to languages. Thanks

V.I.P.

^i'd like to know that myself. i'm currently trying to refresh my french to get into an advanced course next year.

these two pages seem quite nice, though
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/mafrance/flash/#
http://faculty.virginia.edu/ajmlevin...mmarindex.html

30-07-2011
backstage pass

I was learning french when I was little but I forgot almost everything that I've learned so to refresh my memory I've begun to watch extr@ french it really helpled me. Well, you of course need to learn some basic rules but french is a really difficult language and this series will really help you to have a good pronunciation, to learn the most basic words and understand it better.

30-07-2011
fashion insider

Im probably very late, but tough girl would for me be femme forte.

As for the current french conversation, it wouldnt help if i explained how i learned since its one of my maternal languages. My cousin came here for a few months and started off buying the vacation learning books for kids, you know those books your parents make you go through to keep practising while on holidays. she just bought one of each year from first grade sixth and learned the basics that way.

Otherwise, ive been starting italian and have basically bought a few books to learn the basics, a dictionnary and usually just read magazines and fashion websites in italian. oh and watch movies in italian sometimes with subtitles mostly not (plus there are amazing italian movies)
You could do that as well... (there are some cult french movies old and new, and you said it yourself there's vogue paris...)

trendsetter

When I was teaching French at Arizona State, they told us that The University of Texas at Austin had the best resources for French learners http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/. Alvedansen and YoninahAliza you might want to check that website.

I've got one question for Russian speakers. How do you say "Can I take a picture with you" ?

backstage pass

^ mozhno s toboy sfotografirovatsya? (that word is really hard to spell, so just say "sfotkatsya")

trendsetter

Spassiba ! Thank you oh me
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, language, teach