How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-08-2012
trendsetter

Rafa says he won't play until he feels he's completely recovered, which makes me think he won't be playing until next year.

28-08-2012
V.I.P.

Hmm, are you guys aware that the US Open is underway?

Epic match today between Lopez and Monaco. Both men were fighting hard till the end, but what a comeback from Lopez. I was rooting for him so glad he was able to pull it off.

On the other hand though, Dolgopolov is about to lose in straight sets to... Jesse Levine. WTF? There is no more frustrating player than Dolgopolov. Absolutely unbearable when he's not 'on'. I really expected more from him this year after that good start in Australia.

Last edited by MyNameIs; 28-08-2012 at 08:40 PM.
28-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
On the other hand though, Dolgopolov is about to lose in straight sets to... Jesse Levine. WTF? There is no more frustrating player than Dolgopolov. Absolutely unbearable when he's not 'on'. I really expected more from him this year after that good start in Australia.
So when I posted this, Dolgopolov was down 2 sets to love and trailing 4 games to love in the third set. Since then, he won the next 18 out of 21 games, lol. Won the match 3-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1, 6-2. You just never know with him. Both fun and incredibly maddening.

Stitch:the Hand

wozniacki out in yet another first round but more surprisingly at the major she's been more successful at. she seemed too distracted by her knee even though from my vantage it didn't appear to really hinder her....and that coupled with her already lacking confidence....a recipe for a falter.

was really surprised though to see lisicki and goerges out on day 1. mona barthel surprisingly went out yesterday to jovanovski who's certainly capable but hasn't been in-form for a while. petkovic in her second match on return,was defeated but neverthless,so great to see her back. there were a lot of positives in that second set and her fitness looked great so at this point no reason why petko can't get herself back.....just needs to play as much as she can in this latter part of the season. unfortunately because of the loss of her QF points here from last year,her ranking will drop further.

how about stosur in the first round against martic? granted martic wasn't match tough being out since wimbledon with injury but just gauging from stosur's whole demeanour on court was great to see. she did have a chance to get a golden set but hit a double fault.

we haven't even talked that much about the summer season yet though. kvitova won the open series and won two titles in her usually worst part of the season,which is great to see after some disappointments this season. i just hope playing that extra week before in new haven won't lead to fatigue because she had a little trouble in her first round in that first set. and li na is looking good too. too bad that top half of the draw is so loaded. but they're saying serena's half is a bit easy....perhaps,but i wouldn't underestimate makarova who she's projected to meet in the r16 and who beat her in australia....shvedova will be a dangerous opponent who she had a marathon against at wimbledon and if kerber gets past venus that one will be tough as well.

Last edited by Scott; 29-08-2012 at 09:55 AM.
30-08-2012
fashion insider

Wow! Laura Robson retired Kim Clijsters!

Best match of the women's draw so far that I've seen. Quality and drama throughout. Unfortunately given the scheduling Ashe only seemed to be half full. Laura plays Li Na next so it doesn't get any easier for her. I wonder if she repeat her good performance or will she suffer a letdown?

30-08-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
wozniacki out in yet another first round but more surprisingly at the major she's been more successful at.

was really surprised though to see lisicki and goerges out on day 1.

we haven't even talked that much about the summer season yet though. kvitova won the open series and won two titles in her usually worst part of the season,which is great to see after some disappointments this season.
Pretty awful loss for Wozniacki really. I didn't see that one so I don't know how injured she was but she's really on the slide.

Terrible tournament for the Germans as well. Barthel shouldn't have lost her match as I think she was well in front at one point. Who knows what's going on in Lisicki and Goerges's heads? Best thing for me was seeing Petkovic back. She's one of the best personalities on the WTA and I think it would be to their benefit if she was to do well again.

Kvitova I'm not sure about. Yeah she's won a couple of titles this summer but she seems very up and down in her matches. I wonder if someone more consistent might take her out later on.

30-08-2012

what a splendid performance from laura robson. it's too bad it was against kim in her farewell event but kim was not match tough at all. but you know,with her match against sharapova at the olympics,seems laura has really improved on her maturity and the mental aspects of her game and she's finally getting that top level success. it's incredible to me that she's still only 18. i keep forgetting that as she's been touted for so long.

i know li na is breathing a little easier though not having to face kim who beat her the last couple times they played.

as for kvitova,you know she has a winnable draw till she potentially faces sharapova in the QF. bartoli she throttled a couple weeks ago in montreal but bartoli has not been in great shape for a while. it really depends on kvitova. but i agree with you on her consistency. yesterday against cornet i was really disappointed with her overall performance. that's a match she really should have dominated from start to finish. i think she allowed that to be too competitive with her errors. and the vast majority of her returns were off.

Last edited by Scott; 30-08-2012 at 11:23 AM.
31-08-2012

so andy roddick announced yesterday that he was retiring from the game after the open. i can't say that i am terribly surprised by the announcement as i've felt this could possibly be his last as he's been on the decline for so long.

i've never been much of a fan really and i've never been one for his unsavoury behaviour on the court nor his one-dimensional game-style. however,for all the touted could have beens and the disappointments in the majors,i always feel like andy maximized the most of his opportunities and his career in general. i mean,he came round at a point sandwiched between three very dominant eras of tennis....the tail-end of the sampras & agassi era and on the cusp of roger federer's sheer dominance....and now of course what has culminated into the big three at the majors.

31-08-2012
fashion insider

I thought Hewitt might beat him to it.

Was never a massive fan of Andy for the same reasons you suggest, Scott. But I had a new-found respect for him after that epic 2009 Wimbledon final against Federer that ended 16-14 in the fifth. Roddick was somewhat unlucky to hit his peak at the same time as Federer - I imagine he would have been a multiple slam winner by now if not for that.

01-09-2012

and agassi,who's been one of andy's mentors since andy became a pro,said today that roddick just simply became a victim of the era of tennis he played. and i think that just about sums it up. i think andy would have won many too....had roger not evolved into the player he's become,i can imagine that roddick would have ended up at least dominating for two or three years,especially at the open and wimbledon.

strange day of tennis though. although i am absolutely thrilled for laura robson i was absolutely befuddled by li na's performance. in fact this whole week i haven't been totally enthralled with her matches....she's looked a little uneasy most of the week and especially so in her last round against dellacqua and of course today in her defeat. i mean,coming in on form and with confidence after getting through to her first final since sydney and finally breaking through with her first title since RG,i thought she would have had the upper hand in the end. but for laura robson,how great is she playing suddenly? seems the olympics and her performance against sharapova there and the silver medal with andy in mixed,has become a bit of a springboard for her. great to see. and she backs up her first significant win over kim with her first win over a top player. not to mention her first deep run at a major. that's impressive. who knows,if she keeps up the level we could maybe see another kvitova on the rise?

Last edited by Scott; 01-09-2012 at 12:15 AM.
01-09-2012
V.I.P.

Laura Robson has been a revelation - two slam champs ousted back-to-back. I love her game and her composure; definitely a fan!

Roddick played well tonight, but I couldn't get over what a poor effort Tomic put in.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
01-09-2012

^agreed wholeheartedly about tomic! i actually found myself wondering,was this what all this fuss about? his game seems rather tame....kind of like a wozniacki pusher-style,for men,imo. and moving backwards on returns?? you won't ever progress with that mentality.

01-09-2012
V.I.P.

I think Tomic needs to fire his dad and get a good team around him. He has nice variety, natural touch and good serve, but he has no tactics, his fitness could use work, as well as his movement, and yes - he needs to step in and hit with some power! He's only 19, but this is precisely when he should be making some changes.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
01-09-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
Roddick played well tonight, but I couldn't get over what a poor effort Tomic put in.
I saw Patrick McEnroe called him 'pathetic' on twitter! And Tomic was apparently acting up in his press conference too. The guy needs an attitude adjustment!

01-09-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
but for laura robson,how great is she playing suddenly?
Laura went through a big growth spurt which always seems to result in injuries. She says that this year since Wimbledon she's been injury-free and she's been working with Andy Murray's fitness coach Jez Green on speed training. Clearly her movement is much improved so she can finally compete in rallies on her own terms.

I think tactically she played very well against Li Na, hitting a lot of balls deep and hard down the middle so Li was pushed back and couldn't get the good angles. Laura is stepping up the court a lot better now too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread