How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
i cannot believe they scheduled djoko and ferrer's match the way they did and then in-turn cancel it! since they knew the weather was imminent and they had already cancelled the women's final for tonight,why on earth did they just not put nole and david on armstrong at the same time? terrible fortune for them as they will have double duty tomorrow with the final monday plus david up 5-2 in the first set.
Word is that the players themselves plus the TV broadcasters insisted they played on Ashe. Monday final is nothing new anymore, it's almost become the new norm.

No more Super Saturday next year. Without a roof it really has such a chance of going wrong schedule-wise and the last few years have proved that to be the case.

08-09-2012
fashion icon

^ Yes and if you listen to the announcers they're always vouching for a change in scheduling because it gets rained out every year and they end up having to play on Mondays anyways. Plus having the semis & the final on back-to-back days just seems unfair on the players. They need some time to rest if they're going to play at their best for the finals, but you know, the people who run things are a bit thick

09-09-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i didn't know about the players but i expected that from broadcasters. and you know yesterday they didn't even have the women's doubles final scheduled at all and for they to make the decision well in advance on the women's singles final,i can't understand why they didn't make a more earnest decision about the second semi,knowing the imminent threat of severe weather that afternoon. instead of getting them out there to stop it at 5/2. NYC had two tornadoes touch down near brooklyn and queens yesterday afternoon that apparently did affect parts of flushing meadows with debris and such.

this will make it 5 straight years in a row that the open has completed on a monday. but apparently broadcasters and even the organisers aren't exactly keen on monday finishes. and i guess to a certain extent it's understandable why since monday is a work and school day unlike the second monday of the fortnight which is a national holiday here. but from a perspective on the player's side,you put the women's final on sunday and men's on monday,the men get a day off in between semis and final and the women would get a day off in between as well.

09-09-2012
fashion insider

The men's semis need to be on Friday with the final on Sunday. Women's on the Saturday. The other three slams manage this somehow pretty much every year so why not the USO?

09-09-2012

because it's about filling their pockets at the end of the day here,unfortunately. the pomp and circumstance of it all,if you will. remember last year this tournament was criticised heavily,even to the point of threats of striking,by the top players for literally feeling like their concerns and their well being were being undermined and taken for granted over the organisers,the sponsors and the broadcasters. it's not even a mere tennis major....it's a big corporation. as long as they put on the big show and they reap the benefits financially,i don't think they will ever care about the players all that much.

Last edited by Scott; 09-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.
09-09-2012
V.I.P.

Next year there will be a day between the semi and final - that's what I read. I think Andy has a wee advantage with the extra 24 hours. Will he use it?? Be interesting to watch - should be a cracker of a final!!

Meanwhile, Vika just broke Serena in the 3rd set - yes, you read that correctly... Serena is in a third set!!!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
09-09-2012
fashion icon

^ Holy crap, Serena is amazing. That is all I have to say.

09-09-2012
trendsetter

poor Vika =(

fashion insider

Best women's final they've ever played in Ashe Stadium.

I almost find myself liking Azarenka more after this. She was very gracious in defeat as well. It's just I can't abide that noise she makes. I can put up with grunting from most players but hers is the worst. Some incredible returning, incredible shot-making though. She made this a really memorable match.

Serena was insanely good in the first set and then I don't know what happened. Footwork seemed to go a bit and she wasn't getting her serve in. Maybe a bit lucky that Vika had a ropey game when she was serving out the match. And suddenly Serena lifts herself at the vital time. She deserves to be at the no.1 spot sooner rather than later.

09-09-2012
V.I.P.

Totally gutted for Vika! She fought so hard, and had she not choked when serving for the match ... oh well. Maybe next time. It was interesting though because she had a much harder path to the final, going through Sam and then Maria (two USO champions), so finally Serena faced someone who wouldn't back down or who wasn't utterly powerless. Vika was all over Serena's second serve and she was better in the rallies. She exploited Serena's two weaknesses: movement and second serve. And she almost won. Sigh. Okay, well. Moving on...

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 09-09-2012 at 07:33 PM.
10-09-2012

chaky,i think it's because vika raised the level on her return game. notice vika started sneaking inside the baseline more on serena's second serve. i honestly have never seen anybody contest serena's service quite like that since dementieva and justine....and to a degree what stosur managed to do last year and in that RG quarter against her.

but i agree.....vika should be extremely proud of herself and should take this and use it to inspire her even further. what i saw yesterday was a great in the making,imo. and not only did she do something very few players have ever done against serena in a final at a major but it's also the first time that serena has ever played such a tight final set in a major final. most of her previous victories like over justine at australia....davenport at australia....were all thumpings. and both should be applauded though for extending this final for the first time since graf and seles did it in 1995. wonderful stuff and i hope we get to see more.

Last edited by Scott; 10-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.
10-09-2012
V.I.P.

Gutted for Vika is how I feel. After that first set I was ready to write her off, but then she played such great tennis and for a little while there, it looked like she could take it. I'm usually the one rooting for the underdog so I was really hoping she'd win. Alas, it wasn't to be. She really gave away that service game when serving for the match. After that, I just 'knew' Serena was going to win.

Such a terrible men's final today. I really could not care less who wins. Wish both could lose tbh. I guess if I had to root for someone, I'd pick Novak, just so Murray yet again goes slam-less.

fashion insider

Murray has a break in the final set. Could he actually win? I'm not watching it right now but it would be cool if he does.
Posted via Mobile Device

10-09-2012

and he did it! super stuff tonight and after going down two sets i thought novak would run away with it in the final set but andy got the early break and held for 2-0....really didn't look back after that. unfortunate nole started feeling some kind of injury at 4-2 but really pleased to see the history andy has made and to overcome that hurdle finally for himself.

10-09-2012
fashion insider

I don't even like him but I'm so proud of him. The new channels are going crazy in the UK as you would imagine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread