How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-09-2012
fashion icon

So happy for Andy. I'm sure everyone in the UK is proud.

10-09-2012
fashion icon

I wish I could have watched the match today (once again I blame work), it sounds like it was pretty epic! Major congrats are in order for Andy, he is really coming into his own this year, isn't he? Plus, he's the first British man to win a Grand Slam championship in seventy-six years!

V.I.P.

Congrats to Andy! I think it was good Nole fought back and pushed it to a 5th. But Andy held strong in the end, kudos to him. He really deserved it!!!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
11-09-2012
fashion insider

I stayed up till nearly 3am watching this match last night!

Always been fed up of everyone going on about Fred Perry every year when Wimbledon is on. I'm not a massive Murray fan but I was rooting for him to get that slam win so we can all move on!

Lucky for Andy it was windy as I think that played into his hands. Unfortunately it meant that although the match was quite exciting the quality was relatively poor for the early parts as both players were being really tentative or making bad errors. Fourth and fifth sets the wind seemed to die down and the level of play improved.

This win is testament to Murray's increased mental strength. It was starting to look like he'd suffer a catastrophic loss after the fourth set, but he really finished off well.

11-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quite a breakthrough for Murray this year. First beating Federer at the Olympics and now Novak for a Slam. Well congrats, I guess.

Stitch:the Hand

^not even just the gold medal but murray getting to that final at wimbledon i feel took a huge monkey off his back and i think that's where and how he has begun to play like a true champion. and credit to ivan lendl too because i honestly think lendl's cool head has been a great debt to andy changing his attitude this year. it used to be that when andy got down he would get down on himself and just get mopey and lose it.....his head is in it more now than ever.

12-09-2012
fashion icon

^ Yes!! While I was watching the final I could see Andy getting down on himself when Novak started to play well. I just kept saying to myself like, 'don't wallow. Don't put yourself down. Just stay positive.' Andy can get really negative and I think that's what has stopped him from being a champion early on in his career, but he's combating that and not allowing himself to get in his own head. He really is his own worst enemy, but I'm happy he's getting over that hurdle.

12-09-2012

just heard the announcement that justine henin is expecting her first child.

12-09-2012
fashion insider

Congrats to Justine, one of my all-time faves.

12-09-2012

justine seems to be in such a happy place right now. even when she returned to the tour i saw something very different about her compared with the juju i remember pre-retirement no.1. very happy for her as this was something i think she's been wanting for a while now.

21-10-2012
fashion insider

The WTA Championships start on Tuesday in Istanbul. Draws were made today.

Red Group:
Victoria Azarenka
Serena Williams
Angelique Kerber
Li Na

White Group:
Maria Sharapova
Agnieszka Radwanska
Petra Kvitova
Sara Errani

So who does everyone think will make it out of their groups?

Red - I think you have to go with Vika and Serena. White - I'm not sure. Petra has not performed her best this year but it's indoors and we know that's where she's best. But I wonder if we'll see a surprise here.

And the official class photo:

tennisforum.com

21-10-2012

notice how serena and petra are wearing almost the exact same dress and both are also are first of the three outside women? i thought that was interesting when i saw it earlier.

anyway,petra actually is in a nice group. aga and errani are both winnable match-ups for her(she's never lost to aga all three times they played,including here last year) and despite not having a good record against sharapova this season,with this RR i give kvitova a really strong shot at the semis at least.

but vika has a very tough one with serena and li na(whom she's 4-4 h2h against and their recent matches have all gone deep),who i think are the toughest match-up-wise for her. and kerber could prove tough for serena. regardless,i see serena and possibly sharapova or vika in the final. it'll be interesting looking ahead if vika,maria and serena get to the semis and kvitova should,would kvitova play serena or vika? i've been looking forward to another meeting between petra and azarenka,rekindling their rivalry from last year.

Last edited by Scott; 21-10-2012 at 11:32 PM.
23-10-2012
fashion insider

So was Petra losing to Aga a surprise? She certainly played quite poorly and was apparently pretty devastated with how she performed. Still time to turn it around for her.

And Maria and Serena both looking in good form.

23-10-2012

i do think that was a bit of a surprise. with the record she has and her game-style,she should have been able to hit through aga a bit more. but i was hearing this morning during the coverage from lindsay davenport that all the players are saying the court surface is playing slower than last year,so i wonder how much that might have affected petra's preparation and performance today?

but i feel bad that she's upset about it. maybe it's what she needs to wake herself up though? i hope she can turn it around.

25-10-2012
fashion insider

Poor Petra is layed up in bed again. She's had a rough time with illness and injury.

I watched both epic matches yesterday. Wanted Aga to beat Masha but seems like her serve started to fail her at the crucial time late in the second set. But it was amazing how they just kept running for 3 hours!

Feel really sorry for Kerber who gave 100% and yet comes away from this event 0-3.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread