How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-05-2012
trendsetter

It was one of the worst matches I've ever seen...but as a fan, I'm extreamely happy for Maria!

I loved when they were 6-5 and deuce, and Maria was serving, and the umpire asked them whether they wanted to continue or not, and they both said they'll continue! The match was bad, but they were such fighters!
I don't like Na Li, but I felt bad for her...they both deserved the win!
and, how polite is she! I won't smile like she did after a match like that!

20-05-2012
Stitch:the Hand

disappointing from li na. i was really hoping she would have taken it being up a set and 4/0....she really played a stronger match than maria till that point. then struggling to keep her composure and gave a lot of games away. then re-gaining her play in the third and having a match point.

but generally impressed with how li na's game has improved since returning to the clay. this is the best she's played since syndey earlier this season so despite the loss she should still be in a good frame of mind trying to defend her title.

21-05-2012
V.I.P.

I woke up yesterday morning just to see Maria down a set and 0-4. I was like, oh no, she's back to her old tricks. Then she made the comeback and pulled ahead in the third and I had basically anointed her the winner, lol. And then again BAM, Li Na came back. Props to both for being able to fight back when they were behind at certain points. And of course congrats to Maria for winning.

Also congrats to Nadal. So happy to see him defeat Novak again. It's just the kind of serving of humble pie that Novak could use.

trendsetter

Let the fun begin!

Women's draw

Men's draw

@rolandgarros's twitter

kvitova and li na certainly have a nice looking section. both have a wonderful opportunity to genuinely sneak through to the semis fairly comfortably. the only real potential threat i see would probably be li na possibly meeting the dangerous mona barthel in the 3rd round. and JJ,zvonareva and schiavo are just not the players they were.

i just hope that stomach muscle tear is healing fast enough for kvitova because it really affected her serve at rome.

in the bottom section of the second half....so sad for sharapova....she's got serena looming. it's funny,the media is so quick to dub favorites before the draw is announced and both women were tagged as forerunners.....thus something like this happens. and frankly serena just looks better in this regard. for azarenka she has stosur possibly looming in the QF too. that bottom first half though to me looks a bit more dodgy in terms of these early rounds....radwanska,venus,kerber,bartoli,ivanovic, kuznetsova and the dark horse in sara errani.

i can't wait though to see the young frenchwoman caroline garcia again. she's been working with amelie mauresmo the last year so it'll be interesting to see how much she's developed since her near upset of sharapova last year. especially once again on a big stage.

Last edited by Scott; 25-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.
25-05-2012
V.I.P.

Nadal has a very soft draw, whereas Djokovic and Federer have difficult ones. I expect the men's side to be predictable - Nadal will win.

The women's draw is more interesting: what a shame, though, that Serena and Sharapova are slated to meet in the QFs. I would've liked to see them on opposite sides. I could see a few people winning this: Azarenka, Sharapova (if someone helps with Serena), Serena, Li Na, who else? Kvitova? Stosur? Kuz?

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
25-05-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
Nadal has a very soft draw, whereas Djokovic and Federer have difficult ones. I expect the men's side to be predictable - Nadal will win.
Sadly this seems likely. Fed has Nalbandian and maybe Delpo/Berdych later on. Murray's been doing poorly so I'm not sure he'll make it out of his quarter.

I'd like to see Raonic do well and get to a match with Nadal.

Women's draw looks a touch bottom heavy. I would have said Serena or Sharapova were the favourites but they're schedule to meet in the QFs! And then you've got reigning champ Li, former champ Schiavone and Kvitova down the bottom as well.

Azarenka has an absolute cakewalk to the quarters. And then poor Radwanska, who is trying to get to a slam semi for the first time to essentially justify her world ranking, gets Venus second round, then maybe Sveta and Ivanovic.

26-05-2012

i dunno,chaky....i think even azarenka and stosur have a slightly tougher section than li and kvitova do.....vika's got safarova & cibulkova(both whom you never know what to expect,but tough nevertheless) at the top,and then at the bottom makaraova,petrova(who always has the potential to be dangerous plus recently she pushed serena to three sets at madrid) and of course sam possibly in the QF.

Last edited by Scott; 26-05-2012 at 11:56 AM.
26-05-2012

btw,i was going to add,with schiavo's win at strasbourg today,hopefully that might boost her motivation again. she's been struggling mightily since RG last year. i still don't know....she would likely face kvitova if she were to progress that far and i think with kvitova's heavy deep balls,it will give frankie trouble.

27-05-2012
rising star

Well actually I do find Li's opening match is a though one : Sorana Cirstea. I'm really sensing the upset. They'll be facing tomorrow at 11:00 to me.

The men's draw especially Nadal's section is a total cakewalk so I expect him to make another final. I just hope Djokovic makes the final and wins, also it would be an absolute cracker for men's tennis to see a player hold all four majors at once.

Imagine then if he could manage a second consecutive Wimbledon that would be totally crazy, 5 majors in a row but I'm getting a little bit way toward ahead of myself.

I'd like Victoria and Djokovic as the champions.

tfs star

@scott What's the problem for putting Sharapova and Serena as the forerunners of this tournament?, if they ARE the forerunners although they might be meeting in the QF's.

Serena, Sharapova, and Azarenka are the favorites this year, I can't wait to see who wins this one, with women's tennis these days it's really unpredictable, especially at Roland Garros. Hopefully Venus does well in this tournament, I'd really like to see her do well, also to qualify for the Olympics.

Nadal, Djokovic, and Federer!!!, I'd like to see Nadal win, and break Borg's record, it'd be so cool, and if it were to be a Djokovic-Nadal meeting that'd be a really good match, Nadal trying to defend, and to beat Borg's record, then Djokovic trying to win his first Roland Garros, and to have the "Djokovic" Slam.

29-05-2012
V.I.P.

Razzano!!! She played a great great match.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
29-05-2012
fashion insider

Wow! Razzano vs Serena was the craziest match I've seen in a long long time. So much drama! I wanted Serena to win just because of the potential match-ups later on, but then I'm also happy for Virginie who had such a horrible year last year. Fantastic for the French crowd too. But I doubt Virginie will win another round as she looked in all sorts of pain.

And Eva Asderaki at the centre of controversy again with all those hindrance calls.

Looking forward to tomorrow. I'm gonna try to get home from work as early as I can to see some of it. Brian Baker who's had a remarkable comeback gets to play Gilles Simon on Chatrier and then Aga vs Venus. Sounds good.

29-05-2012

you know,i defended that woman last year because well i had never seen her do such a thing before that.....and now again,we see this happening? i apologize if i ever defended her antics. what a shame that she had to involve herself in the drama when she needn't....a distraction,really. especially hypocritical when there is so much obnoxious screaming.....extended....happening on a daily basis and nothing is ever done about it. the multiple warnings and point penalties were excessive and over-stepping her duties just a bit. i mean if you are going to employ a rule like that,be consistent. first she all she gave razzano was a soft warning....serena at the open got an automatic point penalty the first time. there is something a bit unfair about that.

anyway,although like chaky,i was stunned to see serena go out,i am absolutely ecstatic for virginie razzano. easily one of the most pleasant players i've ever watched. but with everything she's been through with her fiance passing away only days before RG last year and just her overall struggle on the tour the last couple years,this is such an inspiring thing to watch unfold. a stunning victory and i hope a great run.

Last edited by Scott; 29-05-2012 at 08:17 PM.
30-05-2012
tfs star

I AM IN SHOCK SERENA LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!, I bet Azarenka and Sharapova feel a whole lot better right now. Serena was the main one favorited to WIN THIS!!!, not since 2002 she was the favorite here, I was so sure of it!!!, HUGE upset.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread