How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-06-2013
trendsetter

And he lost a lot of points.
Once Wimbledon is over, Ferrer will be number 3. So happy for him.
But it's gonna be odd having a top 3 without Roger and Rafa. Not that it makes me sad but, definetely odd.

26-06-2013
fashion insider

It's almost an end of an era.

26-06-2013
Stitch:the Hand

i dunno,it's definitely a surprise but i think stakhovsky played out of his mind today....roger looked a little apprehensive maybe on a lot of those crucial points....maybe not aggressive enough.

wanted to add another thing regarding the women,i watched sloane and petko today as well and it's just great to see petko finally getting herself back into form again after such a terrible 18 months. to me she just looks so much more confident in her movement again and hitting freer. it's a slow and steady process i'm sure but she looks a lot more self-assured than she did just mere weeks ago. winning makes a huge difference and she won an ITF title the second week of RG and made that final at nuremberg a couple weeks ago. and she admitted that after losing in qualies at RG she thought about retiring.

in another interesting match,really nice to see the dangerous petra cetkovska back on tour. she's been in and out(mostly the latter) for a good span of 9 months only playing a couple ITF events at the end of the season last year,with an injury and wow she has come back strong despite this being only her fourth tournament since returning. she also got to the 3rd round at RG after upsetting nastia pavlyuchenkova.

26-06-2013
fashion insider

Today was just insane. I don't know how to process it all.

Firstly I never in a million years expected Federer's 36 consecutive slam QF streak to end at Wimbledon and certainly not by Sergiy Stakhovsky. But it just capped off a weird and crazy day.

I just took a look at the bottom half of the men's and women's draws and laughed. Seriously, they are decimated! #8 Kvitova is the highest ranked now in the women's and after Murray the next highest is #15 Almagro. Solved that problem about people saying the men's draw was bottom-heavy. Looks good for Murray's chances at the moment.

Will be interesting to see if the top halves hold. I'm going on Saturday so those are the ones I'll get to watch.

26-06-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaa lpz View Post
WTH happened today?
8 or 9 players had to withdraw, Maria lost and so did Roger.
I like seeing some upsets, but today was too intense
Strange day indeed - but also quite exciting in a weird way!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
26-06-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaky View Post
Today was just insane. I don't know how to process it all.

Firstly I never in a million years expected Federer's 36 consecutive slam QF streak to end at Wimbledon and certainly not by Sergiy Stakhovsky. But it just capped off a weird and crazy day.

I just took a look at the bottom half of the men's and women's draws and laughed. Seriously, they are decimated! #8 Kvitova is the highest ranked now in the women's and after Murray the next highest is #15 Almagro. Solved that problem about people saying the men's draw was bottom-heavy. Looks good for Murray's chances at the moment.

Will be interesting to see if the top halves hold. I'm going on Saturday so those are the ones I'll get to watch.
Oh lucky lucky you! I would love to go.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
26-06-2013

but chaky,thankfully kvitova is a former champ and is a super-duper grass court player. so there is something to take away. hopefully though she'll make the most of it since she is the best grass player other than serena and maria. if not,i will be even more annoyed!

26-06-2013
fashion insider

What a tuesday.

I am really happy for Murray, his draw has really opened up with Nadal, Federer and Tsonga out of the competition. I see no real threats in his path

Great upsets today! Larcher de Brito and Sharapova (shoo happy Sharapova is out, Sloane's chance of reaching the Simi's just skyrocketed)

Dustin Brown play some excellent tennis against Hewett, I was soo shocked I kept thinking the whole match that Hewett would comeback.

The big shocker today was Roger's match. I have never even heard of Stakhovsky and I wasn't going to watch the match till I got a call from my mom saying Roger is getting his butt kicked. Stakhovsky was super aggressive and completely out played Federer.

Loved Sharapova's press conference, she ever so slightly inferred it was the surface to blame for her lost because she has never fell so much in her entire career. I have to agree with her, her fall made her really timed during points

I wonder what tomorrow will bring

26-06-2013
front row

This Wimbledon is pretty much gift wrapped for Serena at this point. I can't imagine her loosing. Kvitova has the ability to beat her but that would require Petra to serve well and not be a massive headcase like Kuznetsova. Since hell will freeze over before that happens, Serena has all but won Wimbledon at this point.

I hope Novak can win Wimbledon this year but it would be fitting if Murray could win this year and end the British curse.

26-06-2013
V.I.P.

Still hoping for anyone-but-Serena on the ladies' side. Would be happy to see Kvitova win again.

On the men's side, suddenly Djokovic's draw is more difficult than the side that was so heavy at the beginning!

27-06-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
but chaky,thankfully kvitova is a former champ and is a super-duper grass court player. so there is something to take away. hopefully though she'll make the most of it since she is the best grass player other than serena and maria. if not,i will be even more annoyed!
With Petra's recent form she doesn't seem a sure bet at all. Would not be surprised to see her lose to Makarova tomorrow. Then again given how unpredictable it's been maybe she'll beat Serena in the final.

27-06-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
Oh lucky lucky you! I would love to go.
Make a promise to yourself to do it one day.

To anyone who's never been to a Grand Slam tournament it's well worth it, even if just once in your life. The whole atmosphere of it is quite unique.

I'd quite like to visit the US Open as well just to see how it differs.

Wish me luck with the weather!

27-06-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaky View Post
Make a promise to yourself to do it one day.

To anyone who's never been to a Grand Slam tournament it's well worth it, even if just once in your life. The whole atmosphere of it is quite unique.

I'd quite like to visit the US Open as well just to see how it differs.

Wish me luck with the weather!
I definitely will try my best to see some live professional tennis - but especially a grand slam.

I checked the forecast, and while it looks like it could rain tomorrow, it seemed good for Saturday - fingers crossed for you!

28-06-2013

chaky,i know....just being optimistic....because i have to. she was down 1-2 in that third after squandering a 2-0 lead in the second set and makarova reeling off 8 straight games. hopefully,she can recover enough to get that final set.

and sloane stephens down 0-6 second set....awful performance in that set but really great playing from the comeback kid in cetkovska. 50/50 i think going in that third set tomorrow.

btw,how about kaia kanepi knocking off kerber! really great to see kaia back....she's had some generally fantastic results since returning 2 months ago. pleased to see her making strides on the lawns again. and kerber sadly has had a terrible run of fortune in this sophomore season. she's going to lose quite a bit of points at the end of the tournament.

29-06-2013
trendsetter

I really wish I had a chance to watch that Ferrer v.s. Dolgopolov match. (Had to follow it through the app) Looks like it was a fantastic match.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread